UToledo MEDStart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maggie389

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm going to apply to University of Toledo's MEDStart program this year. Just wondering if anyone who is in the program or anyone that's familiar with the program can help me out with determining what my chances are for getting in! I'd love to attend!

I go to school at Drexel University, majoring in Health Sciences. I've been on the Dean's List every term since I started here.
I volunteer weekly at a non-profit organization and am going to start volunteering at a nearby hospital.

GPA: 3.82
SGPA: 3.82
SAT: 1870

Thanks guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a bit about MedStart because a good friend of mine applied there, and was accepted.
As you can probably find online, your GPA is fine, but SAT is low. I'm told (hearsay) they don't like to go below a mandatory cutoff of 2000, with most non-URM applicants in the 2100-2200 range. Your ECs should involve some shadowing and clinicals before applying, as they want students that absolutely are certain of their desire to pursue medicine.

With all of that being said it's not too terribly hard to land an interview (I believe they interviewed ~40 of the 60ish applicants that applied a couple of years ago) or acceptance (~25/60), Based on the info that you've provided here though, I'd caution you against throwing all your chips in this early: with a 3.82/3.82, you have a very solid shot at scoring well on the MCAT, which (assuming you patch up/add some med-school tailored ECs) would put you in line for schools of better reputation/location/"tier" than Toledo.

I know a bit about MedStart because a good friend of mine applied there, and was accepted.
As you can probably find online, your GPA is fine, but SAT is low. I'm told (hearsay) they don't like to go below a mandatory cutoff of 2000, with most non-URM applicants in the 2100-2200 range. Your ECs should involve some shadowing and clinicals before applying, as they want students that absolutely are certain of their desire to pursue medicine.

With all of that being said it's not too terribly hard to land an interview (I believe they interviewed ~40 of the 60ish applicants that applied a couple of years ago) or acceptance (~25/60), Based on the info that you've provided here though, I'd caution you against throwing all your chips in this early: with a 3.82/3.82, you have a very solid shot at scoring well on the MCAT, which (assuming you patch up/add some med-school tailored ECs) would put you in line for schools of better reputation/location/"tier" than Toledo.

Thanks for the advice!!
I was a nursing student my freshman year and did a clinical rotation as part of that. Would that help?
As you pointed out, my SAT is low :/ I'm not a good standardized test taker which is why I'm trying to avoid the MCAT.
Any other general pre-med advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice!!
I was a nursing student my freshman year and did a clinical rotation as part of that. Would that help?
As you pointed out, my SAT is low :/ I'm not a good standardized test taker which is why I'm trying to avoid the MCAT.
Any other general pre-med advice?
Your nursing experience won't be enough. You need actual volunteering in a hospital outside of academic requirements, such as working as a scribe or MA (I did that and thought it beneficial) over the summer. Also, get some shadowing in with any physician, that's necessary as well (for both MedStart and general admissions).
SAT and MCAT are very different beasts. Start studying for the MCAT now and you might surprise yourself--many students who start at community colleges (read:never took SAT/ACT) etc. do fine on them, so don't write yourself off yet. You clearly know the material, so you're starting off in a good spot already.

General advice: prep as if you're applying general cycle and don't put all your hope into MedStart; regardless of stats, an MD acceptance is never a sure thing.

Hi!
I am applying to the University of Toledo MEDStart program this year as well, and was wondering if I could get any feedback on what my chances are:

I will be a junior at the University of Michigan this fall.
-sGPA: 3.72
-GPA: 3.82
-SAT: 2010
-Ohio resident
-Heavily involved with research--I am in the process of being published.
-I participate in lots of ECs at school, and hold leadership positions in each.
-I have been shadowing this past summer for about 3 hours per week, but I have also been taking classes locally so it is difficult to find more time to shadow.
-I do not have as many volunteering hours as I would like because of my commitment to research, however I do regularly volunteer with the same organization at school...how much will this effect my acceptance if I am planning on devoting more time to volunteering this coming semester?
-I am an English major (which I hope will help to set me apart from the other applicants)
-Strong letters of recommendation (bio professor, english professor, and the head of my research lab)

Any comments on my chances would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other advice you have on how to improve my application! Thank you!

Has anyone heard back about an interview?

I believe we were told interview invites would be extended in January though

Yes, that is correct. That's why I was surprised to receive an interview invite a month early. They interview on Mondays and Thursdays. The following is a quote from the email I received:

"Interviews are conducted on Mondays and Thursdays. You will spend a day with our faculty and students.

The dates available for MedStart interviews are:

Monday, February 15

Thursday, February 18

Monday, February 22

Thursday, February 25"

I got my invitation a couple of weeks ago and was confused because they were supposed to be sent in January. I went with February 15th.

I got my invitation a couple of weeks ago and was confused because they were supposed to be sent in January. I went with February 15th.

My interview date is scheduled for February 22nd, exactly one week after yours. Are you an Ohio resident? Do you know if they prefer Ohio residents? I'm from Michigan.

My interview date is scheduled for February 22nd, exactly one week after yours. Are you an Ohio resident? Do you know if they prefer Ohio residents? I'm from Michigan.
Yes I'm an Ohio Resident. I've seen on past forums regarding MEDStart that they do prefer Ohio residents but I wouldn't worry too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply rolodex.

Does anyone know what type of curriculum Toledo follows? And what type of learning (pbl? traditional?) Are multiple classes taught simultaneously? How often are students tested? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, but what stats do people have that are receiving interviews? Also are invitations sent by mail or email? I'm out of state as well and have not heard anything yet.

My Stats:
Gpa: 3.95
ACT: 31
Moderate amount of volunteering, shadowing, and work experience.

Submitted Application October 1st.

Interview invite: December 9th

Interview Scheduled for February 22nd

My stats:

GPA: 4.0
ACT: 32
A good amount of shadowing, volunteering, and research.
Management position and a leadership position in an EC.

I also haven't heard back yet.
GPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.72
ACT: 29
Ohio resident

I'm getting pretty antsy. If I got an interview invite and got accepted, I'd go in a heartbeat. But my ACT is also not stellar, which I hope doesn't keep me out.

Looking at previous year's threads, it seems like there may be two groups of interview invites that go out. One in early December and one in early January. I have still not heard anything back. My stats are:

GPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.89
SAT: 1970
Fair amount of research experience, some volunteering and some shadowing.

I'm also out of state so that won't help with anything. I'll post here if I hear anything in the coming week(s).

Numerically, your stats are a lot better than mine. They'll probably pref you. If you're committed to attending UT then I hope you get it!

@Obsoleteanomaly I was just wondering did you receive an email or did you call the admissions office
I got an email, it was very generic saying that they were sorry they could not offer an interview. It said that they had reviewed my GPA and SAT and I guess it wasn't enough, odd because I'm above their averages for almost every year. I would guess it's largely due to an in state bias, but I can't confirm that.

I got an email, it was very generic saying that they were sorry they could not offer an interview. It said that they had reviewed my GPA and SAT and I guess it wasn't enough, odd because I'm above their averages for almost every year. I would guess it's largely due to an in state bias, but I can't confirm that.
It's really weird that you didn't get an interview with those stats. I wonder if it is more competitive this year for some reason?

It's really weird that you didn't get an interview with those stats. I wonder if it is more competitive this year for some reason?
The email also said they had received many applications, that could also explain it

I called last week and found out that we'll likely be waiting until late March.

Congrats rolodex!

Same here :) I received the acceptance email this morning as well.

I knew you'd get in haha ur stats were just above mine.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

same!! accepted this morning, let's get a fb group going!!

also, in their letter, did everyone get a paragraph saying that they have to still submit the 2017 amcas?

Yes mine said to submit that as well. Totally agree about the fb group.

:O and you should start one, rolodex

Last edited:
Ideally that wouldn't be the case. Maybe it's just a formality that we have to go through? And social media isn't my forte so maybe you should handle it. :nod:

Accepted as well! And yeah the AMCAS is just a formality, so to speak. It's because when we applied we applied under the Fall 2016 class (that was what matriculating class we had to select). I would think this AMCAS thing is maybe so that we get grouped into 2017 on the system. It'd make their job easier.

Accepted today as well :) I'd love to join a Facebook group so we can all get to know each other!

Welllll if everyone messages me the link to their fb I'll try to start a group.

Reactions: 1 users