UTRGV vs PLFSOM [Texas Match]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolo333

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have pre-matched at UTRGV and PLFSOM (nothing from any other schools) and I am trying to decide between the two before I rank them on match day. There aren't many posts on UTRGV, especially after their first match list came out last year. I know that both schools have a ton in common, but I'm hoping you guys have some insights. I'm a nontraditional student. I currently live in the RGV, and that's where my family lives as well.

PLFSOM:

Pros:
- more established
- better match list
- more extracurricular activities = AOA, etc.
- mandatory research = which means it will absolutely get done haha
- student culture seemed really good, down to earth
- all clinical activities in one place, very close to the school
- high median age = which means there might be other older, nontraditional students

Cons:

- very far from family

- Overall, I have heard good things about the science curriculum. But, I have also heard that the other parts of the curriculum (Spanish, longitudinal classes on society/culture/etc.) take up too much of the students' time. I know all schools have these courses and they are definitely important, but I've heard that this school is doing more than average and some students are frustrated. I know there is a month of basically orientation, and most of it is devoted to these subjects. IDK if that's normal?

- Both schools are on the border and very far from other cities, but I feel like El paso might be even more isolated that RGV. El paso is definitely a bigger city than RGV. But, RGV is within (somewhat) driveable distance of much larger cities (San Antonio, Austin), and El paso seems very isolated. I know med school keeps you really busy, but I wouldn't want to more somewhere more insular. But IDK which is actually better/worse on this front?

* PLFSOM does integrated clinical rotations. So from what I understand, you take your third year exams all together at the end of the year. The students called it a Hogwarts style exam period and said it was a new change. I cant tell whether this is good/conducive to learning, or bad/really stressful, or not that relevant?

UTRGV:

Pros:
- close to family
- I already live here. I've gotten comfortable and know people in the medical community through my research/extracurriculars.
- small class size
- non-competitive, easy going environment

Cons:
- less established
- less research, extracurriculars (No AOA yet)
- only 1 match list, very small sample size
- Now that Step 1 has gone P/F, it seems like school rank is even more important
- Clinical rotations split in two places
- Because I'm local, I've heard that they some problems getting started (general admin issues, professors leaving, students not passing step 1, etc.) I'm thinking things have gotten better over the past few years, but I'm worried about these issues. PLFSOM is definitely a more established, functioning school.

Summary: Both schools are very similar. They have a lot of the same positives and negatives, very similar curriculum, etc. I like UTRGV because of familiarity, convenience, and because it's marginally closer to major cities. But, I recognize that PLFSOM is a more established, better ranked/functioning school. If the difference between the two schools is not that big of a deal, then I would prefer UTRGV. However, I don't want to compromise to my education/future career in a negative way. Especially in light of the changes to the residency application process (Step 1 P/F, no Step 2 CS, etc.)

I hope that makes sense, sorry for the very long post!

Thank you for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
UTRGV for sure mainly because you already live there and they had a pretty solid match list too. Part of UT system if that helps. I’d pick them easily. El Paso is so far away from RGV

Reactions: 1 users
I would pick Foster. They're a known entity and have a wonderful program. The idea of picking a place that is an unknown scares me. However, I don't think that at this point UTRGV is so new as to make this a huge burden to overcome.

Reactions: 1 user
UTRGV would seem to make your life a hella lot easier. I’d stay there. Also I thought they had a very solid match list btw