UTSW Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this has already been answered...but yeah I'm almost as in-state-texas as they come...born and raised here...from Dallas actually (grew up in Irving) but went to UT Austin. Where are you other folks from?

Also, like JDAD, I'm for sure going to utsw.

Members don't see this ad.

JDAD said:
Does anyone know if UTSW has wireless internet throughout. Mostly in the library/lecture halls? (it would be cool to have it in the carrels, but I know each one has a network connection)

I"m PRETTY sure they have wifi in the carrels, but I've never personally used it.

just stopped by to throw in my congrats too......now back to biochem.... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
meads said:
I think this has already been answered...but yeah I'm almost as in-state-texas as they come...born and raised here...from Dallas actually (grew up in Irving) but went to UT Austin. Where are you other folks from?

Meads, where did you go to highschool? I also grew up in Irving, and I went to MacArthur.

JDAD said:
Does anyone know if UTSW has wireless internet throughout. Mostly in the library/lecture halls? (it would be cool to have it in the carrels, but I know each one has a network connection)

You have to dial up using VPN, and sometimes it pumps you off, but you should be able to get a connection in both the lecture halls and the carrels.

Giving My .02 said:
You have to dial up using VPN, and sometimes it pumps you off, but you should be able to get a connection in both the lecture halls and the carrels.

When you say "dial up" do you mean actually plugging into a land line and using a dial-up modem?

Or

Do you mean you must sign on to use the wireless internet?

Do you know if the library has wireless internet?

meads said:

Like JDAD and meads I am pretty sure I am going to UTSW next year.

meads said:

I grew up in Jacksonville, TX but I go to school in St. Louis. I might try and drive down for the MSO. Does anybody know the date off the top of their head?

dcham said:
I grew up in Jacksonville, TX but I go to school in St. Louis. I might try and drive down for the MSO. Does anybody know the date off the top of their head?

It is feb 25/26..hope you can make it

Wow, so now I get an email from Susanna Parker, M.D. and James Wagner, M.D.
Associate Deans for Student Affairs that says they are coming to houston to buy us dinner and talk with us. They are also brining some students along. This is very impressive :thumbup: I can't believe they are coming all the way to Houston just for us. Honestly this is the most impresive thing I have seen yet :)

Alexander Pink said:
Wow, so now I get an email from Susanna Parker, M.D. and James Wagner, M.D.
Associate Deans for Student Affairs that says they are coming to houston to buy us dinner and talk with us. They are also brining some students along. This is very impressive :thumbup: I can't believe they are coming all the way to Houston just for us. Honestly this is the most impresive thing I have seen yet :)

I got the same e-mail, but for Austin people. I agree that it is quite impressive on their part.

apar01 said:
I got the same e-mail, but for Austin people. I agree that it is quite impressive on their part.

Which one are you choosing apar01? I can't help but notice your sig line. No pressure, just curious.

I'll be at the Houston dinner/get together - anyone else attendind? Alex? Hope to see some of you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
mwhou said:
I'll be at the Houston dinner/get together - anyone else attendind? Alex? Hope to see some of you there!

You better believe I'm gonna be there!!! I can't wait!

Just out of curiosity where are they taking the Houston people out to eat? They invited all the Austin people to Double Dave's Pizza.

When is the Houston dinner??--they sent me an email for College Station (my undergrad school), but I now live in the Houston area.

I wonder if they are going to do one of those for the Dallas people. I haven't heard about anything yet.

mwhou said:
Which one are you choosing apar01? I can't help but notice your sig line. No pressure, just curious.

You know, before the match I was so sure about Baylor, but I've started thinking about what it would be like at Southwestern. I'm from Dallas, and my entire social support structure is there (parents, extended family...). I know very few people in Houston. However, I like Baylor's curriculum more and their flexibility during your 3rd and 4th year.

Right now I would say I'm 75/25 in favor of Baylor. Good thing we have until May 15 to decide. Hopefully the second look at UTSW will help in my decision.

runner1979 said:
When is the Houston dinner??--they sent me an email for College Station (my undergrad school), but I now live in the Houston area.

Monday, February 14
Star Pizza (2111 Norfolk)
5:30 p.m.

Yep, star pizza is a popular place. No need to RSVP, just show up!

Alexander Pink said:
Monday, February 14
Star Pizza (2111 Norfolk)
5:30 p.m.

Yep, star pizza is a popular place. No need to RSVP, just show up!

Thanks for the info Mr. Pink. Unfortunately I'll be out of town. SEe you guys at MS0 weekend!

Are any of you guys thinking about doing the MD/MPH program? I was curious about what you guys have heard about it and the process of applying to the MPH portion.

Well, I intend to go to the Austin meeting. I am probably going to bring my spouse as well.

I'm curious how many people will be taking advantage of the extra invitations for MS0 weekend. We have 5 extra invitations and I'm thinking about inviting some parents and parents-in-law. It will be great to start meeting future classmates.

dcham said:
Are any of you guys thinking about doing the MD/MPH program? I was curious about what you guys have heard about it and the process of applying to the MPH portion.

I'm thinking about doing the MD/MBA program but I think they are going to cover all of that at MS0 weekend. I think on the agenda it is covered onthe first day.

dcham said:
UTSW is a satellite campus for the school of public health , but they don't offer the variety of classes that Houston does. If you are really interested in doing an MPH during med school, I would take the classes in Houston.
Anyhow, here is a link http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/campus/dallas/

Hey Pink..if you get into Baylor which school are you going pick?

Bright Star said:
Hey Pink..if you get into Baylor which school are you going pick?

Oh that's the million dollar question! At the beginning I was so sure Baylor, I even said they were my top choice on the secondary. But now more and more I see so much UTSW has to offer, and to be honest, it is going to be a very difficult decision. Right now I would probably be about 60/40 in favor of Baylor, but I dont know! It will be such a hard choice!!! I can say that I am extremely happy to get into UTSW, and absolutely love the school. I won't be unhappy if I go there at all :)

diver said:
Well, I intend to go to the Austin meeting. I am probably going to bring my spouse as well.

I'm curious how many people will be taking advantage of the extra invitations for MS0 weekend. We have 5 extra invitations and I'm thinking about inviting some parents and parents-in-law. It will be great to start meeting future classmates.

I'll bring my spouse to ms0 - not sure about others. Anyone else using the extra invitations? Very nice of them to include spouses, they also have a "spouse support group" that sounds good.

Alexander Pink said:
You better believe I'm gonna be there!!! I can't wait!

Never can turn down free food, can you?

:)

Did the email about the free dinners get sent to everyone, or just thos who have scholarship invitations?

I feel left out!

JDAD said:
Did the email about the free dinners get sent to everyone, or just thos who have scholarship invitations?

I feel left out!

They are for everyone, are you sure they have your correct email?

diver said:
They are for everyone, are you sure they have your correct email?

I got Dr. Wright's email the night of the match, so I assume everything is correct.

I live in San Marcos, I guess they assume that I am too far away from Austin. OR, I am a foreign applicant, maybe they think I am in Canada?

Who knows.

Can anyone give me the details of the Austin email? A "copy and paste" of the email in a pm would be great.

(Thinks to himself........this is the first test to see how cooperative my fellow classmates will be and a good indicator of the cut throat atmosphere stigma)

congratulations everyone, you are all in for quite a ride. it'll be great.

my suggestion - unless you feel like getting acclimated to the school or don't have any other plans, go nuts this summer. travel, spend it with friends, family, write a book... do something weird. you can do the summer research if you want (you'll get letters about that soon) but i suggest something you've always wanted to do. it is, after all, the 2nd to last summer you'll ever have. and whatever you do, don't be a gunner and study before school starts.

After reading these posts in this thread I've noticed much dispute between Baylor and UTSW. What's the difference between the two schools? Is one more presitige than another, better facilities, etc.? This is something that will help me out for my preparation of the medical school application process and what not.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

maxflash04 said:
After reading these posts in this thread I've noticed much dispute between Baylor and UTSW. What's the difference between the two schools? Is one more presitige than another, better facilities, etc.? This is something that will help me out for my preparation of the medical school application process and what not.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

I've been going through the debate in my head over and over....this is what I think.

Both of these schools are prestigious, in my opinion, but they have totally different curriculums. Baylor has an integrated curriculum, which means that you'll get a lot more early clinical experience, if that's what you're looking for. Plus, you can't get past the fact that UTSW mostly operates out of huge public hospitals like Parkland, whereas Baylor also has strong associations with St. Luke's and other private hospitals...and all of TMC.

Even though I personally like Baylor's curriculum better, another strong argument (for me) in favor of UTSW is that UTSW has a much stronger OB/GYN program from what I hear, and that's always been something that I've been considering in the back of my head. Both are great schools though, and I'm honored to be accepted into UTSW (but, maybe I'll hear from Baylor soon? *crosses fingers*)

Wstar5721 said:
Plus, you can't get past the fact that UTSW mostly operates out of huge public hospitals like Parkland, whereas Baylor also has strong associations with St. Luke's and other private hospitals...and all of TMC.

I'm not going to either of these great schools. I also am aware that you can do rotations through lots of places at Baylor and I believe St. Luke's has a mission statement for helping the indigent.

However, I really really believe there is something to be said for the amount and the chaos and the variety of cases you will see by working through a huge public hospital like Parkland. I know all you smart kids have heard that argument before but... :D

To anyone who has to decide (Baylor of UTSW)...you really can't go wrong.

Bright Star said:
I wonder if they are going to do one of those for the Dallas people. I haven't heard about anything yet.

Bright Star, They will have a dinner/get together for the dallas people. I am from Dallas and received an email

Thursday, February 10
6:00 p.m.
Cafe Express
3230 McKinney Avenue, Dallas

Thanks adiddy for letting me know..I will definitely be there.... Is there an address where we need to RSVP or anything

Bright Star said:
Thanks adiddy for letting me know..I will definitely be there.... Is there an address where we need to RSVP or anything

aww you guys im so sad i wont be able to join you in your get-togethers!! :( im out of state and probably wont be back until before school starts. have a great time though! :thumbup:

JDAD said:
When you say "dial up" do you mean actually plugging into a land line and using a dial-up modem?

Or

Do you mean you must sign on to use the wireless internet?

Do you know if the library has wireless internet?

I meant wireless internet works, but you have to use a log in and password that they give you when school starts. You have to have a program you can download called VPN. That allows you access to the wireless internet on campus.

Also, for those who didn't get the emails, I just think they are going to the big cities where a lot of our students come from. I come from a smaller school, and didn't get an email, so don't feel left out. There will be a lot of people you can meet at MS0 day.

Hi Everyone!
Congrats. You should all come to UTSW. I am a fourth year (fo shizzle!) and have had a great time. I just finished my residency interviews and was told over and over again by program directors that they love to get UTSW students due to their amazing third/fourth year training at Parkland. I have made so many life long friends and my class in general is very close. We work hard and play hard. The faculty/administration is very receptive to student issues and make changes accordingly. Dr. Parker and Dr. Wagner rock. Feel free to PM me specific questions. Hope to see all of you at MS0 day!
j'kins

BUMP - we are on the 3rd page

Bright Star said:

Your welcome, they did not have an address listed nor said anything about RSVP

-adiddy

This for the current students - do you all know anyone who is doing or has done the MD/MBA program? I am trying to see what it is like and whether they felt they missed out on anything by doing this program. Basically I just want their perspective. Thanks.

Bright Star said:
This for the current students - do you all know anyone who is doing or has done the MD/MBA program? I am trying to see what it is like and whether they felt they missed out on anything by doing this program. Basically I just want their perspective. Thanks.

I'd like to know this too... The MBA portion is done in conjunction w/ UT Dallas up in Richardson. UTD is my alma mater but I don't think its MBA program is well regarded, though they are trying to amp it up.

Heeter, I'm sure you read this online but they were saying that UTD was in the top 100 of MBA schools (i think it's according to US News..who knows and I am too lazy to go back to the page at the moment)..I have no idea what the ranking means MBA wise or even what they look for to rank MBA schools...but was it/is it that bad?

Bright Star said:
Heeter, I'm sure you read this online but they were saying that UTD was in the top 100 of MBA schools (i think it's according to US News..who knows and I am too lazy to go back to the page at the moment)..I have no idea what the ranking means MBA wise or even what they look for to rank MBA schools...but was it/is it that bad?

Yeah, its not in the top 60 (as it isn't listed online). Anyhow, top 100 isn't saying much, and in business and law school, ranking and prestige are very important factors. Of course, if you are only doing it to open a private practice one day, I don't think it will matter much as to the ranking (after all, you aren't going out to get a job with the MBA)

I never received the e-mail regarding UTSW's Austin dinner. I think they may be rethinking there acceptance... NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... either that or they think I am a sure thing and I need no convincing... or maybe the just don't wanna show me no love