UTSW Dallas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lozza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would any of you who have interviewed here mind sharing your thoughts?

I am trying to decide if I should keep this interview.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here a couple years back and LOVED it. Only reason I didn't rank it higher was solely based on geography and my wife was the boss in that category. I would highly recommend you checking it out if interested in Texas. It is a great hospital and I think would be a great residency

Was also high on my list after I interviewed there 3 years ago, but it fit the mold of a lot of things I was looking at. My favorites on the interview trail were places like Utah, Ohio State and Children's Mercy - big intern classes, lots of fellowships, busy places.

By now (maybe/hopefully), you probably have a good sense of what type of programs appeal to you. If your top choices tend to be large (>20 residents per class), busy, learn-by-doing places, then Dallas is probably worth a look so long as the other aspects like geography line up. It's definitely a place that will put you in good position for a fellowship if that's what you're looking for. If you're a fan of the big programs but aren't particularly keen on Dallas/Texas and already have a number of programs you're pumped about, then it might be wise to save your airfare $$$ as it's already got one semi-strike against it...

If however, your favorite locations have been mid-size or smaller programs, and you learn best by having time to read and think about your patients before creating your treatment plan, then I think you're best off skipping it. It's probably unlikely that you're going to be pulled out of that comfort zone, which is entirely okay.

It comes down to knowing yourself and making a value judgement on how much money you're willing to continue to spend on travel.