UVM vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhuphuong422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for your insights! TBH I never thought that I would have a choice to make in this process so the whole idea of having multiple acceptances is overwhelming.

From the conversations that I've had so far, I've been trying to balance cost of attendance, geography in terms of my family and SO, strength of the school, and the educational experience. I'm interested in primary care post school, and will not quality for many grants because of parental income so COA is very heavy on my mind. The two choices I am considering most heavily are University of Vermont and Maryland, but I also have an acceptance at Netter. Family lives in Baltimore, SO lives in Boston but will be looking for a new job/grad school in winter of 2018.

Netter
COA: 81k/year, possibility of 25k scholarships
Geography: North Haven is about equidistant from Baltimore and Boston, but not close to any family or friends
Ranking/Match Strength: Only have had one class match so far
Education: I really like the idea of the longitudinal primary care experience

UVM
COA: 88k/year, unlikely to qualify for scholarships as OOS with low undergrad GPA
Geography: 4 hours drive to Boston, longgggg drive to Baltimore, no extended family. But I really enjoyed Burlington (admittedly for my interview it was 70 and sunny all weekend)
Ranking/Match Strength: good connections with competitive boston residencies (where I think I want to go after school), ~40 US News (a flawed system I know, but the best I can find in terms of numeric rankings)
Education: I love love love the condensed curriculum and the TBL focus.

Maryland
COA: 68k/year (IS), possibly stealing groceries from my parents house (won't live at home though)
Geography: It's a 15 minute drive from my parents house, SO considering a move to DC for new job in 2018
Ranking/Match Strength: very significant number match to Maryland residency, unclear why? ~40 US News
Education: letter grading. Need I say more? I'm interested in geriatrics though, and the NIAging is in Baltimore. Also interested in policy work and 50 minutes from DC.

In many ways, I think Maryland is the right choice, given the unpredictability of my SO's whereabouts, and if that is the case, don't know if I should being turning down interviews and if there are any applications that I should hold on to and why (eg. more highly ranked programs, those in Boston, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

don't know if I should being turning down interviews and if there are any applications that I should hold on to and why

Eh? How could you be turning down interviews when interview season is already over? I am thoroughly confused by this right now.