UW - Cat vs. Primary ?? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigchen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some last-minute doubt about where to place UW primary care. I was told you are equally qualified for fellowship. Is that true? Any insider info? I want to do GI but really love UW! :confused......

Members don't see this ad.

I am have the same consideration for UW. In the end, I think you will be fine for fellowship in either track. The program director told me so when I interviewed there. I plan on ranking both tracks.

You are correct that both categorical and primary care IM will give you the necessary qualifications for any IM fellowship. However, which track will best prepare for the fellowship you seek? Or better yet, which track do the PD's at these fellowship programs think will best prepare you? For some fellowships, it may not matter. But for others, it might.

ntmed said:
You are correct that both categorical and primary care IM will give you the necessary qualifications for any IM fellowship. However, which track will best prepare for the fellowship you seek? Or better yet, which track do the PD's at these fellowship programs think will best prepare you? For some fellowships, it may not matter. But for others, it might.

Thanks for your input. Do you think GI PD's actually think less of people from primary care track?