UW Madison Early?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2B_81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...So the big MCAT day is Saturday. I don't really know how I feel. I have been preparing since November - however taking 18 advanced Chemistry and Math credits at the same time...

So, I have studied a hell of a lot, but still not sure how I feel.

My #1 Choice is University of Wisconsin - Madison. I live in Wisconsin and love the school. I have a 3.50 overall and 3.60 Science GPA. My last practice MCAT was a 31. I have been a teaching assistant for introductory chemistry, work in a pharmacy as a certified technician, spend winters with children doing chemistry experiements, do undergrad research, etc...

So, what do you think my chances are? It seems like everyone on SDN is so well versed in acceptance intuition... care to share?

I am also considering the following schools:

UI-Chicago
Loyola
Wayne State, MI

I also am considering some DO programs at
Northwestern
PCOM
Kent State

Any ideas? thanks for the input all!

Members don't see this ad.

lets see...

3.5 overall
3.6 science
31 hopefully on the mcat

TA for chem
cert. technician in pharmco.
kids chem tutor program
research
etc...

you are instate resident as well.

well you are definitely a very competitive applicant for most med schools and i would have to say that you have an excellent shot of gaining an interview at your home school.

UIC, Loyola and Wayne St are also solid programs that you would be competitive at as well. Wayne St. does have instate quotas to fill so it might be tougher there but still not enough for you to not apply there. Loyola is a very nice school and I know some people that are happy there. UIC...chicago campus seems to be the one everyone wants. but out of state is hella expensive. but med school is med school :)

I do not know enough about those DO programs but mentioned there but maybe Adapt would or some DO students that frequent these boards can help you out there.

good luck on the mcat by the way. its a test...albeit a long one...but pure knowledge will come into play for the free standing questions, and everything else you can get from the passages + a general knowledge you have been gaining by studying for this test. so hopefully you will do fine.

i'd say you look pretty strong. i'm in a similar situation with my #'s and extracurriculars. i'm from madison but go to school in chicago. i think your #'s are really strong and you should really plan on MD over DO (in my opinion). i'll be applying to MCW and the rest of the chicago schools in addition to your list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I am glad to hear that my scores sound somewhat competitive. I think about this stuff DAILY and I just get so darn analytical about it!!

I hadn't considered the "home court advantage" very much, but it seems as though there is definietly something to be said about that.

I would like to say I am applying to some "top tier" schools, but to be honest, I am not that interested in that. I just really really want to go to Madison.

I might apply at MCW but I am not sure.

Good luck to all, and thanks for the responses. Madison informs by October 1 for early applicants. When do you think my interview would be?

Tim

there definitely is 'home field advantage' for both wisconsin schools. i don't remember exactly, but i thought it was well over 50% instate accepted to both schools. and yes, i agree that i'd rather stay instate (or chicago) than go to the 'big name, top tier' schools. good luck! :)