UW Prematriculation Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been in the prematriculation program at UW (Histology)? If so, what did you think about it?

Members don't see this ad.

No bites...

Does anyone know anyone who has? It sure would be sweet to knock out histology and lessen the load of the first quarter! :D

NeuroSync said:
No bites...

Does anyone know anyone who has? It sure would be sweet to knock out histology and lessen the load of the first quarter! :D

Haven't heard much about taking Histology, but I've heard good things about taking Anatomy the summer before M1. Would be nice if you don't mind being in lab ALL day EVERY day when it's beautiful outside. Having one less class come fall must be nice, too, so you can dominate the rest of your classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
NeuroSync said:
No bites...

The curriculum for UW next year calls for a block schedule, where anatomy is taken in the first 4-5 weeks of the quarter, and then everything is taken in the remainder of the quarter. Honestly, anatomy normally consumes so much of your time that histology doesn't seem quite so bad. So if you're interested in pre-mat, go for it, but it won't make the quarter significantly easier.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
The curriculum for UW next year calls for a block schedule, where anatomy is taken in the first 4-5 weeks of the quarter, and then everything is taken in the remainder of the quarter. Honestly, anatomy normally consumes so much of your time that histology doesn't seem quite so bad. So if you're interested in pre-mat, go for it, but it won't make the quarter significantly easier.

That's interesting. So will it just be anatomy and embryology alone for 4-5 weeks and then on to the other subjects of the quarter? It is my understanding that the two are almost always taught together. If so, I kindda like the idea of being very focused on a couple of subjects at a time.

Iwy Em Hotep said:

Sorry, one more question: Why the change this year?

NeuroSync said:
That's interesting. So will it just be anatomy and embryology alone for 4-5 weeks and then on to the other subjects of the quarter? It is my understanding that the two are almost always taught together. If so, I kindda like the idea of being very focused on a couple of subjects at a time.
Yep, anatomy with embryology. It's supposed to be very focused, with something like six hours of class Monday-Thursday. This is what we did for a quarter, and it felt like it was very rushed. I personally couldn't imagine it in such a short amount of time, but they've done this with the WWAMI sites already, and it works.

To answer your other question, the reason why they did this is because anatomy is a very political topic at school. It thoroughly dominates the first quarter of medical school, and all the professors know it. The biochemistry and histology departments started getting more upset since we students would routinely spend 80-90% of our total time studying anatomy, and divide up that remaining chunk of time for our other classes. This new system allows those classes to get the attention they're due, which I suppose is a good thing.

Thank you for the information, Iwy. I wanted to take the histology class so that I would have more time for anatomy. The block schedule negates the advantage a bit, but it'd still be nice.

On to another subject. I got WWAMI'd yesterday. I'm super stressed out about it because I'm fairly recently married, and my husband has to stay in the tacoma area for the year I'm gone. It would be a 700 mile round trip drive to come home on weekends. I'm going to make an appeal to Dr. Samson this week, but I had already sent a letter asking to be exempt from the lottery, so I feel like my case if futile. Do you have any suggestions/comments? I'd appreciate them. I'm wigging out. I'm SUPER happy to be in at UW, but yesterday sort of put a damper on it. :( Again, I'd appreciate any comments you might have on that subject.