uw scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my uw scores are really fluctuating
sometimes its in thirties and next time its in sixties......all random unused timed/untimed
any suggestions on improving?

Members don't see this ad.

my uw scores are really fluctuating
sometimes its in thirties and next time its in sixties......all random unused timed/untimed
any suggestions on improving?

have you covered all the material?

How does UW correlate to step I? They do give your percentile, is this consistent with the real thing?

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, a good place to start is to look at the questions you got wrong and really ask yourself WHY you got it wrong. Was it because you forgot details (solution: study more), was it because you couldn't reason through the question (solution: do more questions, pay attention to the greater picture, etc.) or was it because your testing technique was poor (taking too much time to answer questions, skimming questions too fast, making dumb mistakes, etc.) Doing well on any standardize test requires knowing the tested information plus knowing HOW to take the test. I think the verbal section of the MCAT exemplified this skill well. I sucked at verbal when I first started (score 8s) but when I went through every question and asked myself WHY I got questions correct or incorrect, I started to notice trends, improved my technique, and became a better guesser (yes, this is a skill that can be improved on as well) - end result was an 11V on the real thing - not a 15 or anything, but it added well to my science scores. The usmles are a little more forgiving because having a strong knowledge-base takes you far, but getting better at answering questions pushes you over the edge - don't forget to study that skill too.