UWashington Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carmenita79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a WA resident and getting ready to apply in this cycle. I am mainly applying to DO schools, but I thought I would at least try for UW and maybe a few other MD programs, just for kicks. My concern is this.... My MCAT is 6/11/12/P, I have a mild form of dyslexia, so b and d look the same to me when I read (meaning I have to go back and re-read a lot of parts, but it is not really an issue in a non-timed setting) and I anticipated the low verbal score. Honestly, I don't think there is much I could do to improve either. Is this too low for UW? The rest of my app is pretty solid I think.

Also I am a non-trad student and haven't taken any classes in 3 years (and frankly, don't want to). Has anyone heard of this being an issue with them? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Carmenita79 said:
I am a WA resident and getting ready to apply in this cycle. I am mainly applying to DO schools, but I thought I would at least try for UW and maybe a few other MD programs, just for kicks. My concern is this.... My MCAT is 6/11/12/P, I have a mild form of dyslexia, so b and d look the same to me when I read (meaning I have to go back and re-read a lot of parts, but it is not really an issue in a non-timed setting) and I anticipated the low verbal score. Honestly, I don't think there is much I could do to improve either. Is this too low for UW? The rest of my app is pretty solid I think.

Also I am a non-trad student and haven't taken any classes in 3 years (and frankly, don't want to). Has anyone heard of this being an issue with them? Thanks for your help!
Hi Carmentia

Dont worry too much about the #'s at this point. Do a bang up job on your Personal statement. Explain your motivations for medicine, make it personal, and real. Do you have any personal experiences which would be powerful in explaining this to the adcoms when they read your PS?

You will get an interview with your MCAT score and if you have a 3.5 average. The interview is all you need, let your motivations shine during the interview. PM me if you have questions.

adiddas125 said:
Hi Carmentia

Dont worry too much about the #'s at this point. Do a bang up job on your Personal statement. Explain your motivations for medicine, make it personal, and real. Do you have any personal experiences which would be powerful in explaining this to the adcoms when they read your PS?

You will get an interview with your MCAT score and if you have a 3.5 average. The interview is all you need, let your motivations shine during the interview. PM me if you have questions.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! That is good news. I have ~3.6 GPA.

Yeah, def apply to the UW then. :) Maybe you'll see me on the first year interview lunch panel.