Mayo vs. UWisconsin vs. UWashington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school is best?

• Mayo

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • University of Wisconsin

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • University of Washington

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Mt. Sinai

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

hogwartsbound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been struggling to come up with a clear pros and cons and work out what's best for my future. I have been very fortunate this cycle with great medical school choices. My top four are University of Washington, University of Wisconsin, Mayo, and Mt. Sinai.

Background: In-state in Washington but currently working on the East coast. However, my significant other will attend school in Wisconsin next year and I have been fortunate enough to receive a full tuition scholarship there. In terms of location, I like the New York vibe the best and am a bit hesitant about the cold weather in the Midwest. However, school-wise, I loved the vibes at Mayo. In addition, Washington is home and is a top ranked school. For several obvious reasons, I am leaning towards Wisconsin, but am mostly drawn to them because of my significant other and the scholarship.

I know that at the end of the day, it's my decision, but I would love to hear some unbiased perspectives. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you hate money and your S.O.?

Or maybe you like money and your S.O.?

:cigar:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you hate money and your S.O.?

Or maybe you like money and your S.O.?

:cigar:

Very good point! I suppose the only problem was, I really really enjoyed my time at Mayo and my experience at Wisconsin didn't stand out. My S.O. and I both agree that I don't want to dive headfirst into a decision and end up regretting it. The tuition break is a fantastic incentive though.

Medical school is medical school. Facilities might differ. Curriculum might differ. But its not as significant as one would think. Go to Wisconsin and be with your significant other. Otherwise, enjoy experiencing the "Turkey Drop" as you break up with her by thanksgiving of your first semester at Mayo.

How would it be...

Just go to Mayo then.

You can always take turns visiting each other on the weekends.

Or just meet up in Wisconsin Dells and hang out at the waterparks together.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you elaborate your impression for Wisconsin? Ditching both full tuition scholarship AND your SO is not something to be done lightly.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you elaborate your impression for Wisconsin? Ditching both full tuition scholarship AND your SO is not something to be done lightly.

You are correct that it's a big decision. After posting this, I realize university of Washington and mt. Sinai are pretty much out of contention because of distance. I loved the people at Mayo and the small class size and with the flexibility of schedule/selectively, I easily imagined a future with a consistent meet up schedule (3 hour drive from school to school, we can both meet halfway in Wisconsin dells). Also, I was so impressed about the opportunities to learn from world-renowned staff and experts and the supportive community. Wisconsin was a very standard interview day with a huge group so I assume I didn't get the true feel of the school. Everyone is also very friendly but I think I was given the lay down of more cons upfront there. Also, I do like the idea of the new curriculum, but of course, our class will be the Guinea pigs.

I'm sure everyone must think I'm crazy not to choose Wisconsin immediately, but I think that will be my ultimate choice. I just want to hash out my feelings and ensure I didn't choose it because I felt like I had to. Thanks for bearing with me guys.

If I were in your shoes I would pick Wisconsin. Personally I would not be able to give up a full ride to an excellent school plus the opportunity to stay with my significant other. It's really hard to get a full ride to med school so congrats on that achievement!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's important to realize that you will pretty much automatically get a scholarship if you go to Mayo. I would wait until you get your financial aid information and actually look at how much you will have to take out in loans at each school (It might actually end up being cheaper, if not the same, to go to Mayo). You should then discuss it with your SO; is she lobbying hard for you to come to Wisconsin or would she be okay with you living 3 hours away? Finally, go with your gut.

Tbh, it sounds like you don't like UWisconsin as much as Mayo. Your happiness is the biggest thing to consider, with whats best for your career being next. If your S.O. is a big part of your life and you guys are serious, I think it'd be wise to go to Wisconsin. If you really liked the vibes at Mayo that much and think it would be a better opportunity for you, you can go there but you also run the risk of losing your S.O. if the distance turns out to be too much for you guys to handle.

You are correct that it's a big decision. After posting this, I realize university of Washington and mt. Sinai are pretty much out of contention because of distance. I loved the people at Mayo and the small class size and with the flexibility of schedule/selectively, I easily imagined a future with a consistent meet up schedule (3 hour drive from school to school, we can both meet halfway in Wisconsin dells). Also, I was so impressed about the opportunities to learn from world-renowned staff and experts and the supportive community. Wisconsin was a very standard interview day with a huge group so I assume I didn't get the true feel of the school. Everyone is also very friendly but I think I was given the lay down of more cons upfront there. Also, I do like the idea of the new curriculum, but of course, our class will be the Guinea pigs.

I'm sure everyone must think I'm crazy not to choose Wisconsin immediately, but I think that will be my ultimate choice. I just want to hash out my feelings and ensure I didn't choose it because I felt like I had to. Thanks for bearing with me guys.

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't think it's crazy if you choose Mayo, but I also think you need more information. I strongly recommend doing revisits and really try to poke deeper with the MS1s-MS4s about their opinions on your situation. You will also need the actual financial aid package and making sure that the scholarships stay through all 4 years as opposed to just the first year.

Don't make a decision now. You have months to think about this. Talk about it too with your SO.