Uworld-80% second pass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlesuccess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am completing my second pass of uworld and I am getting 80%. Is that low?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why anyone gives any credence to their percentage on the second pass through a question bank.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why anyone gives any credence to their percentage on the second pass through a question bank.

I used to think like that, then I got several questions on Step 1 that felt like they were straight out of UWorld, including some that I got wrong when doing UWorld.

1st was 71% and second was 82%. There were only a small number that I straight out remembered and that due to the obscurity of the question. The rest I mostly forget or they seemed familiar but still had to read all the choices. I was expecting a bigger increase honestly but nothing I can do now but to make sure I know the wrong answer concepts cold.

So I am completing my second pass of uworld and I am getting 80%. Is that low?

Second pass with 80% I'd say is slightly lower than you should be content with...you should know (by having read the explanations) the concepts that UWorld tests after your first pass...maybe take it slower to make sure you know the concepts cold? it usually took me a whole day (~8hrs) to do 92 questions...obviously was able to speed it up once I started understanding each concept

low if you're aiming for 270. High if you're aiming for 190

Haha, this is funny and true. 80% seems pretty reasonable. I did 2 passes and have an above-average memory and honestly at least 75% of the questions sounded completely unfamiliar on my second run-through. So with that in mind, I wouldn't say 80% is a score I'd be troubled by. But you might have a tough time breaking 260 or something (you know, like 99% of the universe).

Similar question here- Ive got 13 days left (taking exam on June 29th) and have been doing a 2nd run through of UWorld. Trying to do 3 blocks of 46 questions per day with about 40 pages of FA reading. I have been averaging about 89% (lows of 84 with highs up to 95) on the second pass after averaging anywhere from 65-70% the first run through. I find I remember questions (I spent a good bit of time going over each block during the first pass), namely the obscure ones. However, I find that there are plenty I dont remember but they feel familiar. For each question I try to go though and highlight the key points and try to reason my way to the answer even if it is one I remember. I still go back through and try to review each block after finishing. (all blocks on first and 2nd pass are timed random)

Question is do you think this is beneficial? I have it blocked out where I would finish a whole 2 passes of Uworld before my exam. I am going to take an NBME (11 maybe?) on Monday and see how it goes, hoping that I can get close to the score from UWSA2 I took earlier this week (247). Would really like to get at least a 240 and am wondering what I should do these last couple weeks. Thanks for any advice or input...

Reactions: 1 user
Honest question to everyone here, why does it take you guys so long to do UWorld?

I have a little over 2 weeks to my exam left and I just started it today...88% average on the 6 blocks I've done in 7 hours (including reading the explanations - but that doesnt' take long either..). I plan on finishing UWorld in the next 4 days.

I dont' get why the majority of you start using UWorld before they've even finished reading FA. I have about 5 weeks to study and spent the first 3 weeks reading FA and pathoma only, doing nothing else. UWorld isn't as hard as you make it out to be if you do what I did first...

Well, you must have a very good knowledge base to finish that many questions, including reading all the detailed explanations, in so little time. Personally, I can't just sit with first aid and read it from front to end. I need some sort of interaction and reasoning to understand the concepts. First Aid is very useful, but it is just a book with a bunch of facts scattered all over the place.

Reading is pointless without questions unless you have an amazing photographic memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stupidly took notes on all the questions on my first pass whereas I should have just screenshotted the box. I wanted to put them in Anki and go over it that way but don't have enough time left to make it worthwhile anymore.

Honest question to everyone here, why does it take you guys so long to do UWorld?

I have a little over 2 weeks to my exam left and I just started it today...88% average on the 6 blocks I've done in 7 hours (including reading the explanations - but that doesnt' take long either..). I plan on finishing UWorld in the next 4 days.

I dont' get why the majority of you start using UWorld before they've even finished reading FA. I have about 5 weeks to study and spent the first 3 weeks reading FA and pathoma only, doing nothing else. UWorld isn't as hard as you make it out to be if you do what I did first...

You've done 6 blocks in 7 hours, including reading explanations? So does that mean you're spending 10 min to review each block? impressive.

I have a question, when you are doing second pass on UWorld, questions keep on repeating. How do you set that?

It means, in the first pass mark all the questions? I am 10 days out and I will start again today.

yes that is what it means. If you want to redo the questions again you will have to mark all your questions as you do them.

You've done 6 blocks in 7 hours, including reading explanations? So does that mean you're spending 10 min to review each block? impressive.

No it means I completed each block in 30 minutes, on average. I finished 10 blocks today in total time of 5 hours, left me lots of time for reviewing the questions and rereading some of FA

that's pretty impressive....10 blocks in 5 hours...lol...I find that hard to believe...you must be a speed reader....it takes me 2 hours to do 1 block of questions, including reading all the explanations!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No it means I completed each block in 30 minutes, on average. I finished 10 blocks today in total time of 5 hours, left me lots of time for reviewing the questions and rereading some of FA

wow, if this is true then you're going to finish UW pretty damn fast. I'd say most people on here avg about 3-4 hours for completing a section + reviewing answers, and I feel like the majority of people like to intersperse UW with FA studying throughout the day (as opposed to doing purely UW the whole day). So if you're wondering why it takes people so long to finish UW I guess that's why.

wow, if this is true then you're going to finish UW pretty damn fast. I'd say most people on here avg about 3-4 hours for completing a section + reviewing answers, and I feel like the majority of people like to intersperse UW with FA studying throughout the day (as opposed to doing purely UW the whole day). So if you're wondering why it takes people so long to finish UW I guess that's why.

It seems to me this exam is 70% knowledge based. I really think if you know FA/pathoma (or whatever path source you use) like the back of your hand, combined with decent reasoning skills, you won't have trouble plowing through UW..or the actual exam itself hopefully.

On first pass It took me about an hour to do the section and review, I can't imagine spending that much time on a section and getting anything else accomplished. Different strokes I suppose.

On first pass It took me about an hour to do the section and review, I can't imagine spending that much time on a section and getting anything else accomplished. Different strokes I suppose.

I suppose it depends on how much time you devote to memorizing the stuff that you've learned. Some people just read what they've gotten wrong. Some people read all the answers and answer choices, write down the details that they didn't know, then try to memorize it. Some people take it a step further and find the corresponding section in FA to look over as well if they didn't know something important. If you're doing all this, it can easily take a few hours.

An hour doesn't leave much time for review. If you spend just a minute on each question, that's only 15 minutes to review! But then again, different strokes for different folks, like you said.

It seems to me this exam is 70% knowledge based. I really think if you know FA/pathoma (or whatever path source you use) like the back of your hand, combined with decent reasoning skills, you won't have trouble plowing through UW..or the actual exam itself hopefully.

ha I must be a slow reader or something. At my fastest, even when I knew everything it was still taking me about 1.5 hrs to review. But like another poster said I was reading every single explanation, even if I thought the question was easy.

I started averaging low 90s on the practice tests for my second pass. What I noticed is that even though I don't remember the answers, I feel like subconsciously I know which questions try to trick you. As a result, I think harder on these questions. Maybe if I look at each problem on the real test as if its written to try to trick me, I will force myself to think harder. Just sharing my thoughts.....

I used Uworld as a learning tool during the school year. So when we had our neuro unit, I'd do neuro blocks, etc. i wasnt done studying neuro by a long shot, so my first pass percentage was like 55% and I took my sweet time reading through why each answer was right or wrong.

My second pass was higher and although I remembered seeing some Qs before, I usually couldnt exactly remember the answer since it'd been months since doing them. So I gave my second pass score a little more weight than if I had used Uworld as a test of my knowledge the first time through.

To each his own.

But if you really remember Qs and you just recently did that first pass, then a higher percentage the second time through means a lot less. You have to gauge your own level/understanding. U world can't magically do that for you