UWorld Qbank scoring..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeedTheHippo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When doing UW or Qbank, and plugging in that score into a score estimator, what does that exactly mean? For example.. If you get a 65% on a UW exam, and the score estimator says its a 237 on the actual exam.. is it so much higher because UW is that much harder? Or does that mean, if we go into the exam, and answer 65% of the question right on a block, that our actual step score will be over a 230 on the exam?

Pretty much what I wanna know is, when I get only 60% of these damn questions correct, yet they still estimate I am well over a 220, can I walk into that exam and only get 60% of each block correct and still end up with a high score of a 230 or higher? Its really frustrating that we are happy with a 60-70% avg on practice exams, when really that practically a failing score in med school! :scared:

I really hope it means that scoring 60% of a block on Step 1 means that is a very high score, rather than UW or Qbank making it 40% harder, and assuming the actual exam will come easier and we will make up points that way

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's much harder than the real exam. So they are saying that historically people who have avg 60% on UW have gotten a 220 on the actual exam. The actual percentage needed to get that 220 may be a lot of higher. I think the actual test is penalized more heavily. I don't really know how a percentage on the actual test converts into a 3 digit score. If you want a better estimate, you should probably do a UWSA or NBME practice test and gauge from there.

I think alot of those score estimators collect data from students with regards to their qbank percentage or whatever other test they took along with their usmle score. They then use math to generate a way to predict. It's good to keep in mind that you can fall anywhere in the plus or minus interval on those predictions on your test day just based on chance alone; they are pretty weak predictors but might be good to make sure you'll pass.

I've heard that you need to get around 60-65% of the questions right on the USMLE to pass. Also that USMLEWorld is harder.