Uworld, random or subject based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Doing it random provides the closest resemblance to the blocks you will get on step 1. I did it that way and thought it was pretty good practice- makes the real day feel like your practice sessions. Also, Uworld repeats question topics, so I think it is better to see the same question spaced out over time (random mode), rather than seeing it a couple times in the same block (subject based).

random for sure. you can do Rx or Kaplan by subject as you study throughout the year if you have a bunch of time, but within a month I say random UWorld

I did it subject based, tutor mode. I loved it. It forced me to think the question through and go with my first choice. Plus I was most efficient at annotating FA after each question and learned as I went along. I annotated my stuff into FA and used UWSA/NBME to ensure my timing was fine and also tracked my progress.

Different strokes for different folks; as long as you get the material down. Figure out what you feel most comfortable with and stick to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely random.. one of the problems with subject based is, if you have no idea what the answer is, but you know what subject youre in, it sometimes gives away the answer b/c the others are from other organ systems. So that'll give you a false sense of what you know.

P.S. Is it me or does UWorld just do an awful job of categorizing their questions anyway. When I want to annotate something, on the bottom itll categorize a question say as 'endo/repro' and its clearly a biochem question or something like that.

As greg said, different strokes for different folks.

With that said, I am for all random/timed. Keeps you on your toes. Also it doesn't really allow anything to become stale while in your study period. I know that biochem/micro would be super rusty since I studied it 4 weeks ago. However, UWORLD on random has kept it fresh by constant, random, repetition of these topics.

Definitely random.. one of the problems with subject based is, if you have no idea what the answer is, but you know what subject youre in, it sometimes gives away the answer b/c the others are from other organ systems. So that'll give you a false sense of what you know.

P.S. Is it me or does UWorld just do an awful job of categorizing their questions anyway. When I want to annotate something, on the bottom itll categorize a question say as 'endo/repro' and its clearly a biochem question or something like that.

Its seriously awful at categorizing subjects, which sucks since I use their little graphs to help me figure out strengths and weaknesses.

I do both, and I find that doing big blocks of just one subject can be good for hammering a point home that maybe you aren't real comfortable with.