Uworld random questions? FA not complete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly1346

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my exam is end of June. Was wondering if what I'm doing is recommended. I'm 2/3rds done with DIT annotation into first aid, hopefully finish in the next few weeks, where I then plan on sitting and studying/memorizing/understanding FA totally.

However right now, I've been doing 10-15 random questions for Uworld, avg about 30-40%. Do you guys recommend 'random' even tho I haven't completed FA yet, or should I be doing it systems based?

Thanks, all comments appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably get different opinions on this as everyone has a different way of doing it, but when I was doing my first pass of FA, I did systems-based questions but added on the systems as I went. So if I studied cardio, I did a block of cardio questions, then if I studied neuro next, I did a block of cardio + neuro, etc. By the time I finished my first pass, I was doing random.

Reactions: 1 users
Same as Ismet, I am doing my first pass of uworld in systems. I did kaplan and usmlerx by subject, and now I am finding out what subjects I really need more help with. Everyday I do a different subject, and in ~2 weeks I will be done with my first pass of uworld. After that I will do all my incorrects on random timed, and then random timed all after that.

Different way to skin a cat, but remember the main goal is to learn from the questions, not just get them right. Sounds like with a 30-40% correct, you still need to build the foundation before you work on perfecting test taking techniques.

The test is random. Practice random.

Lots of questions on which you would normally be on the fence between two options can be answered just by knowing which subjects you've enabled.

If you completely had no idea about a question and got it wrong (or even right by chance), when you see it in FA you will remember that its really important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do a subject and then I do a block of UWorld on that subject. I use UWorld not only as a learning tool, but also as an assessment of my study, for immediate feedback on whether I understood the material I just studied well enough or not. I've always been a stellar MCQ test taker so I personally don't see much utility for randomized UWorld questions. I have the NBMEs and the UWorld assessments for that.

As stated earlierm, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I find doing them randomly was more beneficial for me because:
A. It forces me to have to refocus on every question to determine what they are trying to ask me about.
B. With random I am forced to review all these topics over and over again at random times when I wasn't specifically reviewing that system/topic that day.

The key for me is that while reviewing questions, even if I knew the right answer off the bat, I would go back and re-read that section in FA every single time. While that was seriously time consuming I felt like it helped me master the material as I would end up reviewing all the other facts not tested in the question. Also I wouldn't worry to much about percentage. I started off getting about 50% right and by the end I was getting 65-70%. It's a learning tool so i don't feel that percentage is very important.

Reactions: 1 users