VA Provider Equity Act-Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received this email earlier today so thought of posting it here:

November 30, 2017
v62T3ulQBmvr_k9x_Z2bz2YSXQHtzOsW764L1UtmgKX4Gk6bDX9NA_AnbT5uZIg_HlB5O_OefA8rog42Ne4f_nk6iJalUiPLqcTYAYdTJ8R18n-81AV2ahOWZmleaewgRNscj5i5dp7R9ANo-CMwK_d5Y_LbRSR2uPHq=s0-d-e1-ft

VA Provider Equity Act Added to Caring for our Veterans Act
In a major development for APMA's VA Provider Equity Act, the bill was adopted Wednesday as an amendment to the bipartisan Senate Caring for our Veterans Act of 2017, legislation that would renew funding for the program that allows veterans to receive health care at non-VA facilities when appropriate care is not readily accessible at a local VA facility.

The Caring for our Veterans Act is viewed as critical legislation for passage prior to the holiday recess, as the program has run out of funding. APMA members are strongly encouraged to continue contacting their senators and encouraging them to support S. 1871, the VA Provider Equity Act, to underscore the importance of this legislation, whether as a standalone bill or an amendment to another piece of legislation, and to advocate for the highest quality care for our nation's veterans.

If the Caring for our Veterans Act passes in the Senate, it will have to be reconciled with a House version of the bill. Passage in the Senate will significantly increase the possibility of ultimate enactment of the VA Provider Equity Act, as it will have passed in both chambers of Congress (the House version of the VA Provider Equity Act, HR 1058, passed on unanimous consent this summer).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Received this email earlier today so thought of posting it here:

November 30, 2017
v62T3ulQBmvr_k9x_Z2bz2YSXQHtzOsW764L1UtmgKX4Gk6bDX9NA_AnbT5uZIg_HlB5O_OefA8rog42Ne4f_nk6iJalUiPLqcTYAYdTJ8R18n-81AV2ahOWZmleaewgRNscj5i5dp7R9ANo-CMwK_d5Y_LbRSR2uPHq=s0-d-e1-ft

VA Provider Equity Act Added to Caring for our Veterans Act
In a major development for APMA's VA Provider Equity Act, the bill was adopted Wednesday as an amendment to the bipartisan Senate Caring for our Veterans Act of 2017, legislation that would renew funding for the program that allows veterans to receive health care at non-VA facilities when appropriate care is not readily accessible at a local VA facility.

The Caring for our Veterans Act is viewed as critical legislation for passage prior to the holiday recess, as the program has run out of funding. APMA members are strongly encouraged to continue contacting their senators and encouraging them to support S. 1871, the VA Provider Equity Act, to underscore the importance of this legislation, whether as a standalone bill or an amendment to another piece of legislation, and to advocate for the highest quality care for our nation's veterans.

If the Caring for our Veterans Act passes in the Senate, it will have to be reconciled with a House version of the bill. Passage in the Senate will significantly increase the possibility of ultimate enactment of the VA Provider Equity Act, as it will have passed in both chambers of Congress (the House version of the VA Provider Equity Act, HR 1058, passed on unanimous consent this summer).
so, there are two bills at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
The VA bill was added to another bill (Caring for our Veterans Act) as an amendment. I think the chance for the VA bill (one favoring Pods) to pass now has slightly increased than before :xf:
So, what was the one introduced by Bill Cassidy?

I understood that there was original, which passed the house and planned to name podiatrists physicians and raise their pay and allow to compete for leadership roles.

and then there was ammended one

200K sounds good for me.

I know right? And considering most VA programs are affiliated with residency programs, the workload may not be bad at all as an attending. Just a lot of diabeetus though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The VA bill was added to another bill (Caring for our Veterans Act) as an amendment. I think the chance for the VA bill (one favoring Pods) to pass now has slightly increased than before :xf:
Any news on this bill?

That stinks. I assume they are about to go on holiday break, so I am guessing the vote comes next year?

Yea and I think they just vote on bills in the chronological order they came in. So, depends on how quickly they get through them. From what I understand it passed unanimously in the house and Senate shouldn't be an issue. Just a matter of time I think.

Yea and I think they just vote on bills in the chronological order they came in. So, depends on how quickly they get through them. From what I understand it passed unanimously in the house and Senate shouldn't be an issue. Just a matter of time I think.
As far as I understand there are 2 bills now for the same thing.

As far as I understand there are 2 bills now for the same thing.
You can read the actual bill of both through that link if you go to "text" and "related bill" it differs by one paragraph but from it has something to do with medicaid which I don't fully comprehend. It's the last paragraph.

I have noticed there is a decent amount of Indian health service and human health and service podiatry jobs out there. Would this bill increase salary for these jobs as well?
as far as I understand VA jobs only. It may affect other places indirectly.