VA SLRP stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rmack1219

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone had success with receiving the VA SLRP? I am currently in the onboarding process for a psychologist position with the VA. And there's been a few hiccups. The Chief who hired me thought that I should be started at higher than a GS 13 step 1, he signed paper work and completed justification to be submitted to a review board. I was just notified that it likely wouldn't pass because nothing is being approved. However, I've also been researching the VA SLRP program and I keep seeing that it has to be a part of your hire letter. I haven't received my firm offer yet so I figured now would be the best time to negotiate. All of the things I've found on Dr. Google makes it seem like psychologists never receive this. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Please share your experiences if you have any. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

However, I've also been researching the VA SLRP program and I keep seeing that it has to be a part of your hire letter. I haven't received my firm offer yet so I figured now would be the best time to negotiate.
Do you mean the VA EDRP program?

Psychologists can definitely receive it for hard to fill positions but the original USAJobs announcement for your position needed to say 'incentive eligible' in its fine print, also specifically said it was EDRP eligible, and then EDRP must be written into your offer letter.

If it was in the original job announcement, definitely bring it up with your chief. If not, their hands are tied as, unfortunately (as far as I know).

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean the VA EDRP program?

Psychologists can definitely receive it for hard to fill positions but the original USAJobs announcement for your position needed to say 'incentive eligible' in its fine print, also specifically said it was EDRP eligible, and then EDRP must be written into your offer letter.

If it was in the original job announcement, definitely bring it up with your chief. If not, their hands are tied as, unfortunately (as far as I know).

Hello,

No, I mean the SLRP program which pays 10k per year for a max of 6 years and requires signing a 3 year contract. My job is eligible for the EDRP and I will be applying for that. However, the SLRP program can be run concurrently with other loan repayment programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

No, I mean the SLRP program which pays 10k per year for a max of 6 years and requires signing a 3 year contract. My job is eligible for the EDRP and I will be applying for that. However, the SLRP program can be run concurrently with other loan repayment programs.

I’ve never known anyone to successfully receive SLRP. EDRP yes, and EDRP concurrent with PSLF, but not a single case of SLRP.

Reactions: 1 users