Vaccine mandates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quoting a mark up based on the cost of production of a small molecule pill is disingenuous. Pills of almost any type cost near nothing to produce. The cost is in the R&D, trials, approval, and marketing.

$700 for a covid antiviral seems a bit steep, but is probably a hell of a bargain compared to the monoclonal antibodies, and is probably cost effective if it reduces hospitalization by as much as it claims. All the usual caveats of list price != actual price usually apply, as well, the real price for insurers is probably 200-300$

Personally, I'd rather they charge $100 for the covid pill, and up the cost of Ivermectin to $1000/pill. Call it a stupid tax and ride the profit wave (which would be shared by GoFundMe)
I don’t know all the details of how the drug is produced but from my experience, there is a significantly huge profit for the CEO’s to take in some nice pay:

22 million in one year isn’t bad, but nothing compared to the CEO of Regeneron, another GOP favorite (122 million):

But yeah, it’s ok to up the cost of drugs because we obviously can’t cut the executives pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quoting a mark up based on the cost of production of a small molecule pill is disingenuous. Pills of almost any type cost near nothing to produce. The cost is in the R&D, trials, approval, and marketing.

$700 for a covid antiviral seems a bit steep, but is probably a hell of a bargain compared to the monoclonal antibodies, and is probably cost effective if it reduces hospitalization by as much as it claims. All the usual caveats of list price != actual price usually apply, as well, the real price for insurers is probably 200-300$

Personally, I'd rather they charge $100 for the covid pill, and up the cost of Ivermectin to $1000/pill. Call it a stupid tax and ride the profit wave (which would be shared by GoFundMe)
If Merck wants to charge $700, fine. I just think that I as a taxpayer should have a royalty stake since my money via BARDA or NIAID or NIH or whatever made the pill possible. Same goes for the vaccine from Moderna, who now has 3 people on the Forbes 400 thanks to the doses which were developed and produced on the taxpayer dime.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know all the details of how the drug is produced but from my experience, there is a significantly huge profit for the CEO’s to take in some nice pay:

22 million in one year isn’t bad, but nothing compared to the CEO of Regeneron, another GOP favorite (122 million):

But yeah, it’s ok to up the cost of drugs because we obviously can’t cut the executives pay.
But those ceos are worth that because it is what we are willing to pay right? Can’t be overpaid it is literally impossible—nobody else could be found for that job that would take less than that. Bottom dollar bargain for them right there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sad for the kids. Sadder even that it will likely not convince others that have similar views.

People in this country are profoundly stupid, unfortunately.

But those ceos are worth that because it is what we are willing to pay right? Can’t be overpaid it is literally impossible—nobody else could be found for that job that would take less than that. Bottom dollar bargain for them right there.

Is collusion the right word for this? It's probably not a free market that drives pay for these types of jobs. Not that an entirely free market drives anything really... Its more of like degrees of freedom.

So Abbott wants the government to be able tell private corporations what they can and can’t require for employment? Hard to believe such an upstanding guy would only use “small government” rhetoric when it’s politically expedient. Oh well, pro-covid party strikes again.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I haven’t checked in here for a while and I have not read this thread but I wanted to make a statement:
We entered the era of what I call dictatorship camouflaged by fake democracy. I admit I am a sheep too and feels so ****ing disappointing. Kudos to the ones shaping the election results one way or the other. We as humans are done irreversibly and it’s sad.

I haven’t checked in here for a while and I have not read this thread but I wanted to make a statement:
We entered the era of what I call dictatorship camouflaged by fake democracy. I admit I am a sheep too and feels so ****ing disappointing. Kudos to the ones shaping the election results one way or the other. We as humans are done irreversibly and it’s sad.
Do you mean you have an objection to “mandated health care”?!?! Haven’t filtered through all the knowledgeable and disimpassioned comments either but was surprised to hear an oft mentioned “fact” of how the unvaccinated are endangering the vaccinated today on the “news”…

Sad for the kids. Sadder even that it will likely not convince others that have similar views.

People in this country are profoundly stupid, unfortunately.
Perhaps, or maybe profoundly misinformed??? Always wonder when a term like stupid is used instead of ignorant, just sayin

Perhaps, or maybe profoundly misinformed??? Always wonder when a term like stupid is used instead of ignorant, just sayin
I tend to think "ignorant" denotes that there is a degree of lacking fault when it comes to not knowing something. If some self-sufficient-for-the-last-5,000-years, no-contact indigenous tribe of the Amazon doesn't have an understanding of calculus, it doesn't mean they're stupid. They've just never had the exposure.

On the other hand, Joe Blow sitting on his couch in South Dakota avoiding vaccination because he's willfully ignoring every piece of media be it television, youtube, news websites, the CDC,, his local department of health, the surgeon general, his own doctor, and trump telling him that the vaccine is safe and effective........that guy is a fking idiot.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
We do however pour near unlimited resources into their care to keep them alive so they can go back out and keep doing it while simultaneously ****ing over all of the non covid medical care in this country.

I am not alone in thinking we need to reassess the assumption that is unethical to ration care to people willingly putting themselves in this position. I think it is unethical that my trauma patients can’t get a qualified nurse to give them good icu care or a rehab bed and my clinic patients can’t get a ****ing procedure done for months to diagnose their lung disease.
I tend to think "ignorant" denotes that there is a degree of lacking fault when it comes to not knowing something. If some self-sufficient-for-the-last-5,000-years, no-contact indigenous tribe of the Amazon doesn't have an understanding of calculus, it doesn't mean they're stupid. They've just never had the exposure.

On the other hand, Joe Blow sitting on his couch in South Dakota avoiding vaccination because he's willfully ignoring every piece of media be it television, youtube, news websites, the CDC,, his local department of health, the surgeon general, his own doctor, and trump telling him that the vaccine is safe and effective........that guy is a fking idiot.

So glad you understand my Point! And I am sure old Joe realizes that EVERYTHING he is fed from the media,etc. is 100% true!!

"But the media is the enemy of the people!" old Joe feebly shouted, right before the propofol and succinylcholine entered his veins. And that was the last unassisted breath old Joe would ever take on God's green earth.

"But the media is the enemy of the people!" old Joe feebly shouted, right before the propofol and succinylcholine entered his veins. And that was the last unassisted breath old Joe would ever take on God's green earth.
Lol Joe won't let us intubate him until he is peri-code. At that point they are so unstable all he gets is paralytic--he won't remember anything in the 3+ weeks he'll be intubated anyways assuming he lives.

Reactions: 2 users

Lol Joe won't let us intubate him until he is peri-code. At that point they are so unstable all he gets is paralytic--he won't remember anything in the 3+ weeks he'll be intubated anyways assuming he lives.

Lol. Thought you guys were joking around about Biden and scrolled up to see what the last straw was.

Stupid and ignorant are not mutually exclusive qualities: see above QANONesque troll posters as an example.

• Haha