Covid vaccine Jama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UscGhost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Turns out following Republican doctrine might get you killed

Results Between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2021, there were 538 159 individuals in Ohio and Florida who died at age 25 years or older in the study sample. The median age at death was 78 years (IQR, 71-89 years). Overall, the excess death rate for Republican voters was 2.8 percentage points, or 15%, higher than the excess death rate for Democratic voters (95% prediction interval [PI], 1.6-3.7 percentage points). After May 1, 2021, when vaccines were available to all adults, the excess death rate gap between Republican and Democratic voters widened from −0.9 percentage point (95% PI, −2.5 to 0.3 percentage points) to 7.7 percentage points (95% PI, 6.0-9.3 percentage points) in the adjusted analysis; the excess death rate among Republican voters was 43% higher than the excess death rate among Democratic voters. The gap in excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters was larger in counties with lower vaccination rates and was primarily noted in voters residing in Ohio

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Now apply that to the whole country because Republicans were pretty damn unanimous in what they were gonna do and who they weren't gonna listen to.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The analyses stratified by age showed that Republican voters had significantly higher excess death rates compared with Democratic voters for 2 of the 4 age groups in the study, the differences for the age group 25 to 64 years were not significant". As expected, difference in death rates was only seen in older age groups.

Also, "The analyses stratified by state showed that differences in excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters were primarily seen in voters residing in Ohio, with smaller, and generally nonsignificant, differences in weekly excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters in Florida"

Good thing we closed down all the schools. Not surprisingly, those schools that shut down the longest had the greatest impact on student learning. Like the OP said, following democratic doctrine makes your kids dumb.

TL/DR: We shouldn't have shut down schools and all elderly should've been encouraged to be vaccinated.

“In analyses that pooled data from March 2020 to December 2021, Republican voters in Florida did not have a statistically significantly higher excess death rate than Democratic voters in Florida”

So really the data was only different for people over 65, in Ohio (not Florida), during the winter??

Last edited:
"The analyses stratified by age showed that Republican voters had significantly higher excess death rates compared with Democratic voters for 2 of the 4 age groups in the study, the differences for the age group 25 to 64 years were not significant". As expected, difference in death rates was only seen in older age groups.

Also, "The analyses stratified by state showed that differences in excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters were primarily seen in voters residing in Ohio, with smaller, and generally nonsignificant, differences in weekly excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters in Florida"

Good thing we closed down all the schools. Not surprisingly, those schools that shut down the longest had the greatest impact on student learning. Like the OP said, following democratic doctrine makes your kids dumb.

TL/DR: We shouldn't have shut down schools and all elderly should've been encouraged to be vaccinated.

Probably could've opened sooner if the dumb parents would vaccinate themselves and their kids

• Dislike
Probably washed out by all the other deaths by stupidity in Florida haha

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure the duration of school closures was political/teachers union based, not related to vaccination status or incidence of COVID.
Fornmany communities, the opening timeline was based upon hospital bed availability.

Higher vaccination rates led to fewer hospitalizations and quicker reopening

Higher vaccination rates led to fewer hospitalizations and quicker reopening
I'd like to see data that higher vaccination rate led to quicker reopening. Maybe on a local level that would be true, but nationally red states and districts opened sooner.

Math - Average scores and score changes between 2019 and 2022 for public school students. Reading. Interestly, by and large, the states with the biggest drops are blue states and smallest drops are red states. Perhaps it has to do more with COVID policy than COVID itself.

Post COVID math/reading scores in Mississippi outperformed California. That's wild.

Last edited:
Last edited:
dude quit leaning on retrospective confirmation bias. we were dealing with a cataclysmic, once in a century deadly communicable disease. They were throwing everything at the wall. We know now that some of what was done was not necessary BUT IT WAS DONE IN GOOD FAITH. Making out public health officials to be idiots because they were trying to slow the spread of disease and limit morbidity and mortality is ridiculous. We learned lessons. Generating understanding of what worked and what didn’t shouldn’t be political cannon fodder; it should be respected as the furthering of science during a time when decisions were made with seriously incomplete information.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to see data that higher vaccination rate led to quicker reopening. Maybe on a local level that would be true, but nationally red states and districts opened sooner.

Math - Average scores and score changes between 2019 and 2022 for public school students. Reading. Interestly, by and large, the states with the biggest drops are blue states and smallest drops are red states. Perhaps it has to do more with COVID policy than COVID itself.

Post COVID math/reading scores in Mississippi outperformed California. That's wild.
Red states chose the open at all costs strategy, and since their populations weren't getting vaccinated anyways, probably didn't matter from their perspective. So they had a more aggressive opening strategy regardless of hospitalizations

Blue states chose a more conservative route so in theory they would benefit from waiting for vaccination rates to rise before reopening.

I haven't checked data on that though, probably difficult to compare since it's multifactorial

dude quit leaning on retrospective confirmation bias. we were dealing with a cataclysmic, once in a century deadly communicable disease. They were throwing everything at the wall. We know now that some of what was done was not necessary BUT IT WAS DONE IN GOOD FAITH. Making out public health officials to be idiots because they were trying to slow the spread of disease and limit morbidity and mortality is ridiculous. We learned lessons. Generating understanding of what worked and what didn’t shouldn’t be political cannon fodder; it should be respected as the furthering of science during a time when decisions were made with seriously incomplete information.
Yup.

Once the pandemic started, nobody knew how bad it was or could be. Last thing on any parents mind was taking a risk with their kids lives just so they could start classes a few months earlier.

Better to be cautious

When the next pandemic comes along, you better believe I will keep my kids home until we know for sure that they are no longer at significant risk.

Given that my hospital was 90% full of unvaccinated individuals in the early stages of the pandemic with morgue trucks in the parking lot and 15 ambulances outside...I think vaccination rates were a clear factor in the safety of reopening

Reactions: 2 users
TL/DR: We shouldn't have shut down schools

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 1.35.25 PM.png

I haven't checked data on that though, probably difficult to compare since it's multifactorial

No dog in this endless fight but read that and then read the cohort study again. Unfortunately in this study we do not have individual level vaccination data in this study, SES information, etc.

These studies are useless. If you are looking for a conclusion, it is easy to design to "validate" your views.
Perhaps.

Then again, if I see horses and the literature says I see horses, then I will need to see some compelling studies to show me that they are in fact, zebras.

Telling me that the horse study isn't perfect..isn't enough by itself to convince me it's a zebra

Whose schools closed? After the first 6 months of covid my kids were back in school bringing me back home a Petri dish of viruses. My teacher family members were also back at work starting September 2020. Some districts near me gave people the option to do zoom classes, but that was pretty unpopular. There were annoying discussions about masks and how long to quarantine after a positive test, but schools were very much open starting sept 2020.

Catering to the insanity of soyboy liberal "males" who you'd see driving alone wearing a mask is not public policy done in "good faith". They buried their heads in the sand and deliberately made decisions that maximized collateral damage to society. Even when it became abundantly clear that COVID was a nothingburger for young adults and children, these public health officials doubled down on their irrationality.

• Dislike
Catering to the insanity of soyboy liberal "males" who you'd see driving alone wearing a mask is not public policy done in "good faith". They buried their heads in the sand and deliberately made decisions that maximized collateral damage to society. Even when it became abundantly clear that COVID was a nothingburger for young adults and children, these public health officials doubled down on their irrationality.
How many people did you intubate before there was a vaccine? You have any medical conditions that would predispose to a bad outcome for you? You have kids?

I was deep in the suck and performed plenty of what were ultimately terminal intubations for people in their 20s-40s. I’ll remember that **** the rest of my life. Go talk with someone who was working in NYC and get a reality check.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Reactions: 3 users
Eventually, IR niacin will be the solution everyone was aware of the entire time, yet was overlooking in favor of God knows what else...

" The chronic disease is due to changes in the metabolism of tryptophan and the lack of niacin (NAD/NADH+). Tryptophan has its metabolism altered by the lack of intestinal absorption due to internalization of ACE-2 and hypoxemia and inflammation, diverting its products to the formation of toxic Kynurenine metabolites."

Last edited:
So well said! I still cannot get people to understand this fact. This part of the public repeatedly fails to grasp that very few things are known with a NOVEL virus.

I did all that stuff you did. Doesn’t change the fact that kids were not at risk and that that fact was extremely well established by like early April 2020. Anecdotes mean nothing when you have half the population of the world getting sick. This hysteria about multi generational families catching Covid from their kids going to school was just that, hysteria, and there’s not evidence that I’m aware of that it was a major contributer to spread.

It’s all the same to me and my family though. Children with means will be fine from all that school closure. It’s the poor kids with single moms who liberals claimed they were helping who will suffer the most. History should hold liberals responsible for the putrid educational outcomes poor kids from this entire generation will have

For the record I’m a liberal guy myself, but the Covid school closures were an obvious error in policy after the summer of 2020. Incredible to me that people still refuse to look rationally and admit that. Teachers unions will deservedly be looked upon as self serving villains there too

Poor parents should take a cue from wealthy parents and hold their kids back a year. Many elite prep schools encourage this, especially for boys.

Eventually, IR niacin will be the solution everyone was aware of the entire time, yet was overlooking in favor of God knows what else...

" The chronic disease is due to changes in the metabolism of tryptophan and the lack of niacin (NAD/NADH+). Tryptophan has its metabolism altered by the lack of intestinal absorption due to internalization of ACE-2 and hypoxemia and inflammation, diverting its products to the formation of toxic Kynurenine metabolites."

Those are very interesting theoretical, preclinical papers. Hopefully someone will get funding to do a trial in humans. Sadly, a lot of theoretical solutions don’t pan out for our patients.

Those are very interesting theoretical, preclinical papers. Hopefully someone will get funding to do a trial in humans. Sadly, a lot of theoretical solutions don’t pan out for our patients.
I hear septic shock needs more activated protein c.

For the record I’m a liberal guy myself,
Uh huh. You've used this line a couple times now about being a liberal and voting for Biden, and yet in every OT/politics thread, regardless of whether it's about immigration, affirmative action in college, LGBTQ, debt relief, the covid vaccine and quarantine, or the partisanship/originalism of SCOTUS.....you've come down literally every time on the conservative side.

Which is fine. But honestly, the repeated "I'm a liberal...BUT" openings reek a bit of the lady doth protest too much concern trolling.

Oh wait a minute. Was this you just a couple months ago?

PainInTheAnes said:

lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yeah, I’ve changed some of my opinions since then. Imagine that, you’re making progress on me!

I’ll keep it professional here, but cross posting from other threads is generally frowned upon in most forums.

Misrepresenting yourself in the interest of concern trolling is also generally frowned upon.