**Vanderbilt Class of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In too!!!!! Got the call at around 9:30, completely unexpected!!!!!!! What a great Thanksgiving :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
question - did they send correspondence to your home address or your preferred address? if i remember right, interview invites were to home address so wondering if its gonna be the same. thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving, Vandy folks!

question - did they send correspondence to your home address or your preferred address? if i remember right, interview invites were to home address so wondering if its gonna be the same. thanks!

They definitely sent my interview invite and my acceptance letters to my preferred mailing address.

that's interesting, i remember my dad calling me up about vandy's invite. so is there an enrollment form that needs to be filled out or do we just send a letter of our own to reserve a place in the class?

We have to respond in writing. Also check out your application homepage where you will confirm your acceptance and sign up for a background check. I'm pumped to see all of you at second look. Now I just have to maintain "grades of high quality."

We have to respond in writing. Also check out your application homepage where you will confirm your acceptance and sign up for a background check. I'm pumped to see all of you at second look. Now I just have to maintain "grades of high quality."

so to reserve our seat, we just need to do the online thing right?
but to actually say you're going there for sure, you have to submit in writing?

I think you do both to reserve your spot, but I could be mistaken. On the website it says something about responding in writing within two weeks.

I think you do both to reserve your spot, but I could be mistaken. On the website it says something about responding in writing within two weeks.

Yeah, I agree with this. Once you get your acceptance letter, write a letter to Dr. Zic telling him you intend to accept your spot. Then go on the application website and fill out the appropriate background check stuff. If you do this, I think you've covered all your bases.

Vandy has its own finaid stuff right? I know all that stuff doesn't need to be dealt with until January, but should I even deal with FAFSA and whatever other form Vandy has before I've gotten my 2008 tax return stuff done, or as soon as I can in January? Are we going to receive info in the mail or should it all be online?

Vandy has its own finaid stuff right? I know all that stuff doesn't need to be dealt with until January, but should I even deal with FAFSA and whatever other form Vandy has before I've gotten my 2008 tax return stuff done, or as soon as I can in January? Are we going to receive info in the mail or should it all be online?

= the current most important question in my life. haha

somebody told me that the best bet is to fill out everything you can beforehand, and send stuff in as soon as you get your taxes done. no official Vandy gospel here though, sorry... I'm waiting on the final word too.

I dunno if vandy will give you a tentative package based on *approximate* numbers, but I know some other schools do that for students who are accepted late and need to decide quickly. So I'm sure it'll all work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I'm soooo pumped about Vandy, hope to see everyone @ 2nd look :D

Oh, and btw, here's the link to the SOM Financial Aid site: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/finaid/howto_apply.php

We can submit Vandy's own Aid Application (on the website above) and FAFSA starting Jan. 1st.

Hope that helps!
This is correct -- you can fill out the finaid stuff starting 1/1. As far as approximate numbers go, the FAFSA can be submitted with those. Once you have your official tax returns done, you can submit and amendment that will be processed very quickly. It's not likely to change though, everyone is eligible for the $40k in federal loans (if you're a US citizen). Don't forget to put your parents info in for Vandy -- it won't matter for federal loans, but it could for institutional finaid.

When did you guys receive your acceptance package in the mail? I got the call from Dr. Zic two weeks ago. The reason I'm concerned (aside from imagining the whole phone call) is that apparently I'm supposed to write a letter to Dr. Zic to accept my spot and I imagine the instructions for that is in the acceptance package.

(I've already completed the stuff on the website)

Thanks

When did you guys receive your acceptance package in the mail? I got the call from Dr. Zic two weeks ago. The reason I'm concerned (aside from imagining the whole phone call) is that apparently I'm supposed to write a letter to Dr. Zic to accept my spot and I imagine the instructions for that is in the acceptance package.

Thanks

I was accepted on a Wednesday, the letter was dated Friday, and mailed the same Friday. I would give them a call just to make sure they have the right address. Congrats!!

Thanks

Not much to it actually! Just send a handwritten note to Dr. Zic saying that you accept your spot in the class. A while later, you'll get a letter confirming your confirmation :p

On the Vandy secondary thread someone said that some scholarship offers have gone out. Has anyone heard anything?

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I just got the Canby Robinson scholarship!!!!! Dean Balser called me this morning! Whoa! I'm so excited!!!!!!

I have a question--is now the only time that non-need based money goes out, or is it also part of the financial aid package (in april?)? Does that package only constitute loans and need-based grants, or can one negotiate money then as well?

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I just got the Canby Robinson scholarship!!!!! Dean Balser called me this morning! Whoa! I'm so excited!!!!!!

Congrats!!! You deserve it. You application looks stellar!

Hey, congrats Serikk, that's a sweet deal!

After you guys accepted the offer online / emailed Dr. Zic, you got two letters the mail, right? The wording of the letters makes it seem as if I have already planned to join the class of 2013..did everyone get this? From Dr. Zic "we look forward to seeing you in August", and from Dr. Rodgers: "we are delighted that you plan to become a member of the class of 2013".

I want to make sure that I still have my options open and that I did not inadvertedly make a decision already.

Hey, congrats Serikk, that's a sweet deal!

After you guys accepted the offer online / emailed Dr. Zic, you got two letters the mail, right? The wording of the letters makes it seem as if I have already planned to join the class of 2013..did everyone get this? From Dr. Zic "we look forward to seeing you in August", and from Dr. Rodgers: "we are delighted that you plan to become a member of the class of 2013".

I want to make sure that I still have my options open and that I did not inadvertedly make a decision already.

The phrasing does sound somewhat definite, but by no means is it binding. I've found that other schools say the same thing. I think certainly if you were accepted they would love for you to come there, but again, it is not binding, and you are free to withdraw as the application year progresses.

And congrats Serikk!!

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. As far as those letters go, every school I've been accepted to has sent letters using similar language. It's not binding in any way.

Hello Vandy acceptees! I am also applying to Vandy and I have an interview in mid-January. But I am so surprised to have an interview: I have only a 30 on the MCAT! Do any of you have lower than amazing 35+? Better yet, was any accepted with a 30 or below? I'd just like to know if I have a chance. Thanks!

Hello Vandy acceptees! I am also applying to Vandy and I have an interview in mid-January. But I am so surprised to have an interview: I have only a 30 on the MCAT! Do any of you have lower than amazing 35+? Better yet, was any accepted with a 30 or below? I'd just like to know if I have a chance. Thanks!

I'm sure you stand a chance--afterall, you got an interview, so they obviously like something about your application, right?

Also, side note, you might want to change your status back to "Pre-medical." I understand you've been accepted, but nonetheless, some people get pretty upset over this...

bump for the new year :D

Hi All!

I'm almost definitely going to Vanderbilt along with my boyfriend of four years, who will also be attending graduate school.

Does anyone know anything about buying a house/condo around Vandy--good areas of Nashville to live, benefits of buying vs. renting, etc?

We've been toying with the idea because, well, having rented for the past 4 years, we're tired of throwing our money away!

Thanks in advance!

I would just like to point out that I spent my entire workday today reading last year's Paddle. I'm getting a little pathetically excited about going to Vandy. I'm even looking into summer classes there so I can settle in this summer and don't have to wait until August. Someone do something!!!!

LET and everyone else, have any of you guys talked to the Admissions Office about Second Look Weekend? I was always under the impression that they were paying for our plane tickets and hotels... but recently read elsewhere on SDN that this might not be the case? I could have sworn that was what Dean Zic said to me when he called...

Well, I asked Dr. Sagen and she told me what I posted in the other thread which was: they will pay for hotel and food, but not transportation.

That's interesting that Dr. Zic mentioned that in the phone call to you..can you email him to 'confirm what he said about paying for transportation'? (It will seem rather crass if I were to email Dr. Zic after getting Dr Sagen's response..so maybe someone else can do it?)

Hi! I'm pretty new to SDN, and just found this thread 2 days ago! I'm accepted with below a 35... And very happy and excited about 2nd visit!

Hi! I'm pretty new to SDN, and just found this thread 2 days ago! I'm accepted with below a 35... And very happy and excited about 2nd visit!

YAY! Welcome to SDN and the Vanderbilt Class of 2013 thread, Pearl! I think you will find that almost all of us are anxiously anticipating Second Look Weekend. Hope to see you then!

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions for current students:

1) how often do you feel that you have to use a car? I don't have one and while I figured I'd have to get it eventually, I'm trying to gauge how much I'd use it. Is the "downtown" within walking-ish distance from campus? Do you feel that the area around campus is very safe to walk around in? Do you know people who walk to class (assuming they live pretty close to school)? Are there shuttles?

2) Computer-wise, I have a macbook pro. It's too heavy for me to bring to class anyway so I figured I'd have to get a smaller computer for notes and such, and I may as well get a PC since I hear those are the ones that give people the fewest problems, software-wise. How do people tend to feel about tablets? Have you found that they're useful? I'm used to taking handwritten notes and losing them so I feel like a tablet might come in handy, but I've never used one...

3) Thanks to the scholarship (yay!) I decided to buy a place instead of rent one. Anyone done that? I also discovered that there are no Ikeas (gasp!) in Nashville or thereabouts. What in the world did you people do for furniture? Are there cheap furniture places around?

...ok, I think that's it. Thanks for answering my many random questions!

1) how often do you feel that you have to use a car? I don't have one and while I figured I'd have to get it eventually, I'm trying to gauge how much I'd use it. Is the "downtown" within walking-ish distance from campus? Do you feel that the area around campus is very safe to walk around in? Do you know people who walk to class (assuming they live pretty close to school)? Are there shuttles?

2) Computer-wise, I have a macbook pro. It's too heavy for me to bring to class anyway so I figured I'd have to get a smaller computer for notes and such, and I may as well get a PC since I hear those are the ones that give people the fewest problems, software-wise. How do people tend to feel about tablets? Have you found that they're useful? I'm used to taking handwritten notes and losing them so I feel like a tablet might come in handy, but I've never used one...

3) Thanks to the scholarship (yay!) I decided to buy a place instead of rent one. Anyone done that? I also discovered that there are no Ikeas (gasp!) in Nashville or thereabouts. What in the world did you people do for furniture? Are there cheap furniture places around?

Yay it sounds like you are coming to Vandy for sure! I can maybe give you some feedback as a Nashville native. The area around Vandy is really nice and you probably won't need to drive that much to get from your place to school assuming you bought close, and there are a lot of restaurants and a few little grocery places around the school. I know a bunch of people who live on Acklen Ave. that walk to school in about 10-15 minutes I think. As far as things like Walmart I have found that driving is probably the best option. This is what I have found anyway. As for safety, the area south of the campus is fairly wealthy and full of yuppies, plus with the Vanderbilt police always patrolling the area I would feel very safe. Hillsboro village is a nice/safe area even at night with a few bars and shops. There are plenty cheap places to get furniture, but you will have to venture away from Vandy to find them. I know places like Target or Walmart have some furniture and there are a variety of furniture stores in Green Hills (a few miles south of Vandy with lots of shopping) and Cool Springs (even farther south.) Anyone else please chime in. I'm trying to find an apartment somewhere close, but will probably opt for a little bigger/nicer one closer to 440 that will require me to drive. Looking forward to second look!

I use my car a decent amount, and I walk to class from Acklen. The Vandy area is walkable, but most other places like downtown or Green Hills are not within driving distance. Harris Teeter is the only grocer I can think of, so if you make lots of trips/need cheap stuff, a car is really ideal. Shade Tree clinic, if you decide to volunteer there, is across the Cumberland (definitely not driveable, although people carpool). There are no shuttles, and public transit sucks. Ideally, I would get a car, but if you must go without, it is doable. You will be bumming rides and taking cabs, though. The area around campus is very safe as was mentioned, but you should still be careful at night and use common sense. West End and 21st have their share of homeless walking around, and people have been robbed on occasion.

I think your MBP is fine -- many people have them and bring them to class. You may occasionally find that something is less than ideal software-wise, but I can't think of anything that flat-out doesn't work. If there is something you need, there is always VMWare/Parallels or the lab computers. A significant number of second years have Macs, and the faculty are usually pretty mindful of that. If you do want to get another computer, tablets are fine. I know people that have them, but my n=1 sample size survey says they aren't really worth the extra money. You can just as easily use OneNote or Acrobat to type any notes you need. Personally, I never even take notes to begin with and am doing fine. 90+% of the info you need will be in handouts -- powerpoint slide handouts are the only thing I would consider taking notes for.

I don't really have a lot of furniture, but the things I have are from Wal-mart, Target, Big Lots, and a bed from Macy's (I wanted something nice to sleep on). There are also a few discount stores that have things like sofas, recliners, dining tables, etc. that are actually pretty decent. You will need a car to get to any of them, but the actual furniture stores deliver.

Hope I helped :)

Well, I asked Dr. Sagen and she told me what I posted in the other thread which was: they will pay for hotel and food, but not transportation.

That's interesting that Dr. Zic mentioned that in the phone call to you..can you email him to 'confirm what he said about paying for transportation'? (It will seem rather crass if I were to email Dr. Zic after getting Dr Sagen's response..so maybe someone else can do it?)

Vandy will put you up in a hotel and pay for your flight up to $500, assuming they keep with previous second looks. Food will be paid for anything Vandy does, but any snacks, non-Vandy meals, alcohol, etc. are on your own. Pretty sweet deal compared with most other second looks.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

The one thing that's bugging me about Vandy is the car thing. I've only ever lived in places where public transit + cabs are all you need. I understand Nashville is fairly suburban, but when you say PT sucks, do you mean there's no bus stops around Vandy/infrequent service, or is it just not particularly pleasant? I have a pretty high tolerance for transit shenanigans as long as it means I won't have to buy a car/pay for gas. :p

Thanks for your feedback guys!

The one thing that's bugging me about Vandy is the car thing. I've only ever lived in places where public transit + cabs are all you need. I understand Nashville is fairly suburban, but when you say PT sucks, do you mean there's no bus stops around Vandy/infrequent service, or is it just not particularly pleasant? I have a pretty high tolerance for transit shenanigans as long as it means I won't have to buy a car/pay for gas. :p

I know there is a bus stop right by campus, but I couldn't tell you much about the reliability as I have never taken it. http://www.nashvillemta.org/ is a link to Nashville's public transport. The good news is that Vandy students can ride for free, but I believe it is only to and from school or work. I imagine you can live pretty comfortably within the "Vanderbubble" without a car. If I remember correctly I don't think undergraduate freshmen are allowed to have cars on campus and they get around just fine.

When I say public transit sucks, I mean it is a hassle to do much of anything besides a work commute or going downtown. It takes a long time and is inefficient. Things in Nashville are just too spread out. Take Chili's, for instance: I am not going to walk two miles just to get to a restaurant I want to go to, and there is no public transit method of getting there. It is either take my own car or get a ride. Same goes with Kroger (probably 6-7 miles). It is just not practical like it would be in NYC where you have a zillion things within walking distance of home plus every subway stop. Regarding undergrad freshmen; you're comparing apples and oranges. Living on campus vs. off campus is a whole different ballgame. There are a lot of things within walking distance on campus, plus freshmen live in the Commons now which is even more convenient. They also call it the Vanderbubble for a reason -- undergrads do everything on campus and don't venture off. The same is not true for graduate students. My friends and I rarely do anything on undergrad campus. Again, you can get by without a car, but you will be bumming rides and taking cabs.

Thanks again guys!

I guess I'll really have think about it. I don't even have a driver's license right now (expired 4 months ago haha)...so given the choice I'd rather pay a premium to live within walking distance + cabs to restaurants every once and awhile than pay for car.