**Vanderbilt Class of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey likely future classmates!!!!!!!! Woohoo who's excited?! I am! (obviously, since I started this thread like 3 days since the dean's call) :D

Members don't see this ad.

:hello: Hey ButImLETired and other (hopefully) future classmates! I just opened this account to celebrate *actually* going to med school next year, so hi all.

And I missed Dean Zic's call, so I was feeling all bummed 'til I saw voicemail the next day. Still, probably best he didn't have to deal with me flipping out haha.

So yeah I'm definitely stoked, and already excited for Second Look. :)

hey, has anybody gotten the actual acceptance letter/info yet? trying to figure out if we need to send them money/forms or what...

:hello: Hey ButImLETired and other (hopefully) future classmates! I just opened this account to celebrate *actually* going to med school next year, so hi all.

And I missed Dean Zic's call, so I was feeling all bummed 'til I saw voicemail the next day. Still, probably best he didn't have to deal with me flipping out haha.

So yeah I'm definitely stoked, and already excited for Second Look. :)

hey, has anybody gotten the actual acceptance letter/info yet? trying to figure out if we need to send them money/forms or what...

Hi classmate!!!

I actually missed his call too, but got the voicemail right after (my phone just....didn't feel like ringing for some reason) and I ended up writing him an email thanking him for his call and telling him that he should thank his lucky stars he didn't actually reach me, because I ended up screaming, cursing, crying, and threw my phone across the room. Probably why my phone hates me, in retrospect.

Anyways, I actually haven't gotten any mail either, but I'm in Cali so maybe it just hasn't come all the way over here yet? Hopefully tomorrow!!! I don't believe we have to send them money, only a form of sorts saying we'll take the spot in the class. And I'm also sooooo excited for second look, I hear it's an awesome time.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha yes! I didn't swear or throw my phone, but I did scream and jump and make my neighbor's dog watch my I-just-got-into-vanderbilt dance. And yah, I'll be waiting for the lettter too... I can't believe it's still like 6 months till second look though! ahh, I want it to come tomorrow...

hahaha yes! I didn't swear or throw my phone, but I did scream and jump and make my neighbor's dog watch my I-just-got-into-vanderbilt dance. And yah, I'll be waiting for the lettter too... I can't believe it's still like 6 months till second look though! ahh, I want it to come tomorrow...

Hahaha nice, the dance is key.

Yeah, i can't believe it's gonna take that long!! I should really keep busy by looking up scholarships, but I just want to get my apartment and start getting all excited about school....

Hello classmates! I actually did pick the phone when I got my call. Trying to remain calm on the phone was one of the harder things that I've had to do. I don't think that I entirely succeeded! I look forward to meeting you guys at second look. :D

Hello classmates! I actually did pick the phone when I got my call. Trying to remain calm on the phone was one of the harder things that I've had to do. I don't think that I entirely succeeded! I look forward to meeting you guys at second look. :D

Yaaay more classmates! Hey zpiff, if you don't mind my asking, where'd you go to college? Did you do undergrad in MA, too?

Yaaay more classmates! Hey zpiff, if you don't mind my asking, where'd you go to college? Did you do undergrad in MA, too?

I transferred a few times and have been at schools in Massachusetts, Louisiana, and am now at a school in upstate New York.

Aaahh coolbeans, just wondering. I went to school in Boston-ish, so I always feel very close to the Mass people out there :D.

But anyways, back to yay Vandy!!!

Have any of you guys received the packet in the mail yet? I am wondering if there's any scholarship/financial aid stuff in there.

Also, I feels awesome to be able to post in the allo forums finally!

Have any of you guys received the packet in the mail yet? I am wondering if there's any scholarship/financial aid stuff in there.

Also, I feels awesome to be able to post in the allo forums finally!

ah, I just got an email from my housemate that the vandy letter arrived! stupid work... i want to go check.

My mailman hates me, I've gotten NO mail whatsoever in the past 2 days (pretty sure he's doing it on purpose). Can't wait!!

okay so i just went home to check the mail, and it's pretty straightforward. congratulations letter, info on how things are going to go down in the next few months... nothing really on financial aid other than "do the fafsa", but I don't think any of that stuff happens until march/april anyway.

still fun to get, though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so i just went home to check the mail, and it's pretty straightforward. congratulations letter, info on how things are going to go down in the next few months... nothing really on financial aid other than "do the fafsa", but I don't think any of that stuff happens until march/april anyway.

still fun to get, though. :)

You were right, totally anticlimactic mail. Small, thin envelope and all. Considering how long and hard I've worked for that freakin piece of paper, you'd think there'd be more to it...

Got my letter today! Yay! I am now positive that that phone call was not a dream. :laugh:

I there a fee to hold our spots? I don't think it said anything about it the stuff that we were sent.

hmm yeah it's a little strange though... i definitely already wrote dr. zic thanking him for the call, and now i have to write him again to *officially* confirm the spot? I think I'd prefer a form haha. :rolleyes:

Hey guys! LET informed me of this page, so here I am. So excited for second look (why must it be soo far away!?). But anyway, do any of you feel pretty confident you will be going to Vandy? Personally, Vandy and UPenn are my top picks. Just curious...

Hey guys! LET informed me of this page, so here I am. So excited for second look (why must it be soo far away!?). But anyway, do any of you feel pretty confident you will be going to Vandy? Personally, Vandy and UPenn are my top picks. Just curious...

Yay! More potential classmates! Congrats on all of your acceptances. Second look is a bit far away for me too but I think they pay for you to fly there.

Yay! More potential classmates! Congrats on all of your acceptances. Second look is a bit far away for me too but I think they pay for you to fly there.

Haha I meant far temporally not distance-wise :p, but none the less...very excited!

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I'm posting in the allo forum, and that it's legit :cool:. I am so pumped about Vandy! Is everyone going to second look weekend?

Hey everyone! I tried to stay off SDN for a while but I'm back now that I've been accepted! Got a called from Dr. Zic on 10/15, and definitely going to second look.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring significant others/family members to second look with us? My host told me that they're going to house us in the "nicest hotel in Nashville", so there shouldn't be a problem with bringing someone with you right? I assume we're all getting our own hotel rooms? haha...

Hey everyone! I tried to stay off SDN for a while but I'm back now that I've been accepted! Got a called from Dr. Zic on 10/15, and definitely going to second look.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring significant others/family members to second look with us? My host told me that they're going to house us in the "nicest hotel in Nashville", so there shouldn't be a problem with bringing someone with you right? I assume we're all getting our own hotel rooms? haha...

Definitely going to Second Look, too. As for the significant other/family question, I don't know. I really didn't know what they were doing with the hotel thing, but I figured there are a lot of events over the weekend that I didn't think SOs would be invited to attend...but what do I know! You could always contact them when they ask for RSVPs later in the process.

Oh yay the thread is all hoppin now! Hells yeah I'm going to Second Look. I heard it's actually really really fun. As for SOs, you might want to look at the vandy class of 2012 thread for info on last year's second look. I think someone was describing how it works and they may have mentioned something about SO's. Sorry, I realize I'm not being terribly helpful :D but yeah check it out!

Hi guys, congrats on getting accepted :)

I just skimmed the thread and thought I would comment on a few things.
1. Financial aid stuff will probably not get there for awhile, I don't think we got it until after second look. Also, Vandy has a separate finaid form on the website in addition to the FAFSA. Don't forget to fill that out.
2. I'm pretty sure you can bring significant others to second look, but I have no idea about whether they will pay for them too. Don't bring your parents.

Let me know if you have any questions about Vandy. The second years have an exam coming up, so I may not get back to you right away, but I will do my best.

Thanks for stopping in, Bretticus, and giving us the opportunity to ask questions...has Vandy lived up to everything you thought it would be?

Last edited:
We need to get this thread hoppin'! Where are all the other future 'Dores?? :D

We need to get this thread hoppin'! Where are all the other future 'Dores?? :D

Hahahaha I know right?! Wooooo Vandy! I think someone should be a cheerleader in the PA forum once in a while. Just go on the lucky interview thread and be like "I wished for Vanderbilt....and then it came....and then I joined the Allo thread and now....now my life is complete".

.......or something.

Thanks for stopping in, Bretticus, and giving us the opportunity to ask questions...has Vandy lived up to everything you thought it would be?
I really love the school. Unfortunately, my class got to be the guinea pigs for the new curriculum, and there have been plenty of bugs. I think a lot of it has been corrected with the 2012 class, and by the time you get here, it will be the third go-round. The faculty is great though, and the curriculum committee has really helped as a go-between. I know, for instance, a lot of our feedback for PP&S (sort of a physician humanities class) last year was taken very seriously, and they are supposedly fixing it. By the time second look comes around, the current first years will have experienced most of the curriculum in a revised form, so they will probably be able to tell you whether it is living up to their expectations. As far as my class, the info is all there -- the road just gets bumpy every once in awhile... My classmates are awesome though, and I am quite happy (as a med student with an exam next week can be).

I really love the school. Unfortunately, my class got to be the guinea pigs for the new curriculum, and there have been plenty of bugs. I think a lot of it has been corrected with the 2012 class, and by the time you get here, it will be the third go-round. The faculty is great though, and the curriculum committee has really helped as a go-between. I know, for instance, a lot of our feedback for PP&S (sort of a physician humanities class) last year was taken very seriously, and they are supposedly fixing it. By the time second look comes around, the current first years will have experienced most of the curriculum in a revised form, so they will probably be able to tell you whether it is living up to their expectations. As far as my class, the info is all there -- the road just gets bumpy every once in awhile... My classmates are awesome though, and I am quite happy (as a med student with an exam next week can be).

I will clarify that alot of the bumps in regards to this new curriculum were organizational in nature, as the fundamental methods they used to teach were modified, but not radically changed from the previous curriculum (i.e. we didn't switch to a PBL style which would have meant a total revamping of pedagogical methods).

In terms of fixing organization there have been big steps made toward fixing issues that were present with our class (we are 2nd years in case you hadn't figured that out). For us, the head and pelvis anatomy sections were on the same exam, which made it rather daunting. They shifted that around this year for the 1st years so that won't be the case. PPS will be better and will include some of the topics they cover in 2nd year PPS in order to move the course along at a more appropriate pace.

Otherwise, I think the organization works very well. You start out with MFM (i.e. biochem and genetics) which eases you into med school. You then take SFD (i.e. histo, anatomy, and physio) which is the meat of the knowledge base that a 1st year must master. You then finish off the year with Micro and Immuno which is a plus since it is fairly straightforward and extremely important material for 2nd year and for your career in general (strange enough, most schools do micro in 2nd year and do neuro in 1st year, it made alot of sense to do it in the order that our curriculum has). You then have the summer to devote full time to your Emphasis project.

If you got anymore questions, feel free to ask. I need an excuse to procrastinate from studying for the next test so I'll probably be on SDN more than I should.

Thanks Bretticus and Quantum....best of luck with all the studying.

On another note, what kind of things do they typically plan for Second Visit?

While I doubt I will ever be so lucky to receive one, does anyone know or can anyone comment (eh em bretticus, Quantum) on when Vandy typically begins giving out the merit scholarships? I thought Dr. Sagen said that it could be soon after your acceptance. Thoughts?

While I doubt I will ever be so lucky to receive one, does anyone know or can anyone comment (eh em bretticus, Quantum) on when Vandy typically begins giving out the merit scholarships? I thought Dr. Sagen said that it could be soon after your acceptance. Thoughts?

I wasn't one of the fortunate people to receive a scholarship so I don't have an answer for you. I assume it depends on which scholarship you receive since there are different ones depending on financial need, diversity, pure merit,, etc. This question comes up every year in these thread...

I wasn't one of the fortunate people to receive a scholarship so I don't have an answer for you. I assume it depends on which scholarship you receive since there are different ones depending on financial need, diversity, pure merit,, etc. This question comes up every year in these thread...

Thanks anyway Quantum. I likely won't be so lucky either. I feel fortunate enough to receive an acceptance so early, but I don't feel like I'm someone they would entice with nice big scholarship..oh well!! Big debt here I come!

Thanks anyway Quantum. I likely won't be so lucky either. I feel fortunate enough to receive an acceptance so early, but I don't feel like I'm someone they would entice with nice big scholarship..oh well!! Big debt here I come!

hahaha hooray for massive debt! I'm anxious about financial aid too, since money is sadly a real factor for me. ah well, since we've got the acceptances it seems like everything will work itself out. :)

Is anyone aware of a tutorial study group to help you prepare for the NABPLEX I'm in Birmingham AL . I've contacted the local University/School of Pharmacy.
=ps . not sure how to originate a "post". Please help?

Is anyone aware of a tutorial study group to help you prepare for the NABPLEX I'm in Birmingham AL . I've contacted the local University/School of Pharmacy.
=ps . not sure how to originate a "post". Please help?

Perhaps you should post this in the Pharmacy forum??

So, did the rest of you get the housing email from Vandy today? I got a little bit excited, but then I realized there is no real point looking, until it comes closer to actually moving (oh, and knowing I'm going there for sure would help too!!). Even so, I still looked haha :D

So, did the rest of you get the housing email from Vandy today? I got a little bit excited, but then I realized there is no real point looking, until it comes closer to actually moving (oh, and knowing I'm going there for sure would help too!!). Even so, I still looked haha :D

agreed it's a ways out, but gotta give 'em points for getting people excited early. I'm definitely stoked whenever I get emails of "hey, just wanted to remind you this isn't all a dream and we actually want you at vandy." so no complaints here :laugh:

agreed it's a ways out, but gotta give 'em points for getting people excited early. I'm definitely stoked whenever I get emails of "hey, just wanted to remind you this isn't all a dream and we actually want you at vandy." so no complaints here :laugh:

I know what you mean! I sometime still can't believe that I've actually been accepted.

I have literally read through every Vandy website 100 times cause it makes it all feel real. Kind of incredible.

haha! I know exactly what you mean. I feel like there is always a tab in my browser that is linked to Vandy's website, and everytime I read something new, I get really excited and have to be sure to tell one of my roommates, or let my parents know casually when I next speak with them.

Hey future potential classmates! I finally decided to check out this thread today and you guys are making me even more excited about Vanderbilt than I was before! I didn't think that was possible!

So I actually did pick up the phone on 10/15 and talked to Dr. Zic. He must have thought that I was insane because I was running around the house like a madman and I was obviously out of breath while talking to him! Man, this whole process makes us really crazy huh?!

I didn't actually get the email on housing, but I did get the background check email today. Do you guys think that it had important information that I should know about? All of you better go to Second Look weekend so we can get even more excited together! :D

I have literally read through every Vandy website 100 times cause it makes it all feel real. Kind of incredible.

Ditto...Vandy soared up the charts after interview day, and more so after the phone call...

VMan and Carolina, welcome! Glad to hear you two were accepted...now you can join in on the wait for Second Look.

Vman, the housing email had this website: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ResEd where you can see apartment listings. If you PM me I can give you the ID and password so you can check out the listings for information sake.

AAAAAHHHH!! I just got called by Dr Zic about an hour ago...I'll see you all at second look! I'm PUMPED!!:banana::banana::banana: