**Vanderbilt Class of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys!

Just got the call from the dean last night! Pretty exciting :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yaaay! Congrats and welcome to the party :D

Hey LET,

So I see you got a full tuition scholarship to Vandy. Did you have to apply to that, or did you get a call from the admissions office out-of-the-blue letting you know you had been selected?

Just wondering!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey LET,

So I see you got a full tuition scholarship to Vandy. Did you have to apply to that, or did you get a call from the admissions office out-of-the-blue letting you know you had been selected?

Just wondering!

The latter. The dean called me one morning while I was walking to work and I almost got hit by a car :D

Hi guys. You may or may not have heard, but I was told today that Vandy will not be paying for transportation to second look due to the current economic climate. Lodging, food, etc. will still be covered, but you will have to pay for your own flight/drive. I know this sucks, but you should still come if at all possible -- it is a ton of fun and this will be a great chance to meet future classmates, scope out apartments, etc.! Hope to see you in April.

Hi guys. You may or may not have heard, but I was told today that Vandy will not be paying for transportation to second look due to the current economic climate. Lodging, food, etc. will still be covered, but you will have to pay for your own flight/drive. I know this sucks, but you should still come if at all possible -- it is a ton of fun and this will be a great chance to meet future classmates, scope out apartments, etc.! Hope to see you in April.

Wow... I knew that deal was too good to be true during these times. I haven't actually gotten any notifications about Second Look Weekend. Is that the same for everyone else?

Bretticus, do you remember when arrangements are made for Second Look Weekend? I'm sure there has to be some kind of system for them to find lodging for everyone... if not, I'd imagine that the Admissions Office would be riddled with phone calls starting in a couple of weeks.

Wow... I knew that deal was too good to be true during these times. I haven't actually gotten any notifications about Second Look Weekend. Is that the same for everyone else?

Bretticus, do you remember when arrangements are made for Second Look Weekend? I'm sure there has to be some kind of system for them to find lodging for everyone... if not, I'd imagine that the Admissions Office would be riddled with phone calls starting in a couple of weeks.
I haven't received any additional notifications about Second Look besides the dates listed at the end of my acceptance letter. I am assuming they will email us or send a letter closer to time? I am curious about lodging as well though.

They usually put everybody at the same hotel -- my year it was the Marriott and last year it was Loews I believe (both are really nice). The dates are April 3-5, which kind of sucks for the second years as that is the end of our spring break. I'm sure many will come back early though, as I am. I looked through my old emails and they sent me a notification the first week of March, so I'd assume you'll hear something around then.

Do most med schools have spring break?

did everyone get the email today about second visit? it sounds like it is going to be a fun weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off--so excited for Second Look, and I hope to see you all there!

Secondly, just letting y'all (yeah, I used it...we're all allowed to now that we may be future Southerners...) know that you are going to be receiving a big yellow envelope from Vanderbilt. We might all wish that it is a nice big scholarship notification (well, everyone except LET!!), but it's actually just the Lens, a magazine put out my VUMC. It's an interesting read. Enjoy!

First off--so excited for Second Look, and I hope to see you all there!

Secondly, just letting y'all (yeah, I used it...we're all allowed to now that we may be future Southerners...) know that you are going to be receiving a big yellow envelope from Vanderbilt. We might all wish that it is a nice big scholarship notification (well, everyone except LET!!), but it's actually just the Lens, a magazine put out my VUMC. It's an interesting read. Enjoy!

Yeah I got that yesterday too! It's always exciting to read about the new stuff that's going on there.

YAAAAAY second loooooook I'm getting way too excited. Can't wait to meet you guys :D

aebvd, are you definitely set on Vandy?

Yeah I got that yesterday too! It's always exciting to read about the new stuff that's going on there.

YAAAAAY second loooooook I'm getting way too excited. Can't wait to meet you guys :D

aebvd, are you definitely set on Vandy?

I'm waiting to hear from two non-rolling schools in March. From there, I'll be waiting until financial info. But of the schools I've been accepted to thus far, Vandy is likely my top choice.

Hey, to the current Vandy students, what do you think of what this guy wrote:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=604215

comments?

i'm a senior at vandy right now, accepted to the SOM c/o 2013 (yay!)

i have NEVER heard anyone with negative comments about the school -- in fact, all of the current students that i have ever talked to absolutely RAVE about it (curriculum, faculty, emphasis, support, etc..).

i know this isn't exactly a concrete rebuttal; i just wanted to pass along the vandy love that i hear from current students all the time :)

Last edited:
Anyone know by when we have to RSVP for second look?

To current students:

do you guys remember when Vandy sends the checklist of things to do before matriculating? I'm particularly concerned about the physical exam. My job is likely going to end soon and with it will go my health insurance, so I'd like to get whatever physicals/shots/whatever I need before that happens. Thoughts?

To current students:

do you guys remember when Vandy sends the checklist of things to do before matriculating? I'm particularly concerned about the physical exam. My job is likely going to end soon and with it will go my health insurance, so I'd like to get whatever physicals/shots/whatever I need before that happens. Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure it was in the summer, so you may be out of luck for the physical. You will need all your immunizations up to date (I think HepA and meningitis are optional) and titers of some of them. I think HepB and varicella, but I could be wrong - it's been awhile. If you don't get them though, they can do it at student health, you will just have to wait around when you get here.

I suppose you could go ahead and get a physical right before your insurance went out, then take the form when you get it and just ask them to fill it out since you had basically just had an exam. Or you could look into COBRA if that would apply. I don't really know much about it or your situation though. Just a thought. Or your parents' insurance might cover you because you will be a student.

lol, i almost had a heart attack when i saw that big yellow envelope

:) :) :) scholarship! :) :) :)

Congratulations MightyChip! You are on a roll! Did you get a call from the Dean?

While we are talking about scholarships... LET, are you still thinking about using the money that you would save debt wise from your scholarship to buy a house in the area? If you are... we should negotiate about me renting a room in your house! :D

Congratulations MightyChip! You are on a roll! Did you get a call from the Dean?

While we are talking about scholarships... LET, are you still thinking about using the money that you would save debt wise from your scholarship to buy a house in the area? If you are... we should negotiate about me renting a room in your house! :D

I got a snail mail letter. I called home and told my dad just as he was filling out the FAFSA, so it felt that much more awesome! Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear.

Haha yeah I'm still planning on buying a house. I'm going down there to check out my options in a few weeks :D. I'll let you know if I get a place that has more than 1 bedroom!

And congrats MightyChip! So does this mean you're set on Vandy?

Congrats MightyChip! So yeah is everyone with a scholarship definitely going? I originally thought I wouldn't make my decision based on finances, but then again I wasn't expecting any med school to be as generous as Vanderbilt.

I'm really excited to be (likely) attending Vandy, but I'm curious to see what happens in March as well.

So, MightyChip, what happens if you get accepted to Columbia?! Best of luck witht that, by the way!

I would love if some current Vandy students who are native Northerners could comment on their adjustment. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

I would love if some current Vandy students who are native Northerners could comment on their adjustment. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Hey Scarlet did you check out the Paddle? Cause the beginning has some little blurbs written by students, and there was definitely one about adjusting after going to Nashville from the northeast. Look it up, otherwise I can try and find the link again :D

Whoa! Be on the look out for current medical students calling you to ask if you have any questions about Vanderbilt! Man... This school keeps on reaffirming how much it cares about its (potential) students! :)

So, I got really excited because I was getting a call from the Nashville area. Sure enough, it was Vanderbilt. Not a scholarship as I had hoped haha.

But, it was a 2nd year student calling to see if I was coming to Second Look, so that's awfully nice of them to take the time out to do such things. Thanks if any of you 2nd years are out there and made calls! So, be expecting this y'all. Cheers!

Aw guys I'm feeling all mushy right now. I'm so so so excited about this place. I haven't received the student phone call yet but it doesn't surprise me that they'd do that. I signed up for the facebook "class of 2013" group a few days ago and I've already received friend requests and "I go to Vandy! Let me know if you have any questions! Can't wait to meet y'all!" messages. I just have an extremely good feeling about this school and am SO excited for second look and for the year to start. I feel so lucky to have gotten in :D.

Ok, ok, I'm done...:oops:

Hi everyone :)

Hope you all received a call or at least got a voicemail tonight. I talked to several people, maybe even some of you ;) We are all looking forward to seeing you April 3-5 for Second Visit -- congratulations!

P.S. Do not call the numbers that you got tonight, those are office phones, not our personal lines. Hopefully you got an email/cell from one of the 2nd years, if not PM me.

it was such a pleasant surprise to hear from a vandy medical student! i am really excited about second visit - it sounds like everyone is going to be welcoming!

i interviewed the week of the 19th and i am waiting but you all sound so happy!

any ideas on how full the class is?

I'm in! =) called on 3-6-09. If three wasn't my lucky number before, it is now.

I AM INNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

any canadians in the house??

does anyone know about financial aid packages and such?

Congrats JimCAN. I don't think we'll hear about aid until April, unless you are fortunate to get a merit scholarship.

Yes, April 15 to be exact. Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

thanks!

what type of aid do they offer in these packages and on what criteria do they award these scholarships?

Yay, I just got in! However, I have not received mail or a phone call. I just checked my account for Vanderbilt online, and it had a invitee response link at the bottom! Basically, if you haven't heard, you might want to check your online page to see if it's been updated there first. :)