Vanderbilt IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mick Turition

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on Vandy. At their website, I noticed that nearly all of their residents are from the South. Is this mainly because the program prefers SE applicants, or b/c applicants prefer a SE program? Does anyone know the status of their notifications? I know some of you received invites. Has anyone got a rejection notice from them? BTW, would someone post their interview dates--that would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the few programs from which I am eagerly awaiting a response as well. -S. ;)

Here is the exact letter of invitiation I received. I actually got it only this week. BTW, would you guys mind posting your stats. I remember both of you received a Wash U interview, which is one of the ones I'm still begging for.

Dear Applicant:

I am pleased to let you know that your application for a residency position at
Vanderbilt has been reviewed favorably and we would like very much to have you
come to Vanderbilt for a personal interview. Visits are conducted on a
Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, December 1 through January 30, 2004 excluding
December 24 through January 1. Your visit may be arranged by calling Glenna
Gant, Program Coordinator, at (615) 322-2036 or by e-mail at the above
address. [NOTE: there are very few open dates in December.]

We want to know you personally and to give you ample time to talk with faculty
and housestaff in order that you may become thoroughly informed about the
details of our program. During the visit we shall endeavor to put you in
contact with housestaff from your own institution and with fellows or faculty
whose work corresponds with your own stated career interests. We plan
interviews around the departmental activities listed in the agenda below.

7:45 A.M.: Introduction/Orientation
Department of Medicine Conference Room
D-3100 Vanderbilt Medical Center North

* Housestaff teaching rounds
Vanderbilt or VA Hospital

* Morning Resident?s Report
Vanderbilt or VA Hospital

* Lunch with the housestaff and tour of the Medical Center

If you can arrive in time the evening before your interview, you are invited
to join some of our housestaff for dinner at 7:00 p.m. Please let us know if
you will be able to make it.

For a narrative description of our program please visit our Web page at:
http://medicine.mc.vanderbilt.edu/q4welcome.cfm. You will receive additional
information by mail after you have scheduled your visit. I look forward to
meeting you soon.

Sincerely,

John S. Sergent, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Vice-Chair for Education
Residency Program Director

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats:

Top 20% of my mid-tier med school class
Fair Step 1, above the mean
Some research, 1 publication

-Attend non-Top 50 school;
-Step 1: 237/96
-Step 2: just took a few days ago
-Class ranking not disclosed to students but have honored 5/6 rotations and most of my M2 courses (my M1 year was not the greatest); have done outside rotations at Northwestern and U of Chicago
-Multiple research projects going on, no pubs yet; will submit case report by the end of this year
-Multiple extracurriculars
-Yes, have scheduled WashU interview in January

Have no idea what Vandy is looking for...
-S.

Originally posted by nymed32
Here is the exact letter of invitiation I received. I actually got it only this week. BTW, would you guys mind posting your stats. I remember both of you received a Wash U interview, which is one of the ones I'm still begging for.

Dear Applicant:

nymed32,
Congras for the invite letter!
Would you post your stats too? Vandy is one of the places i'm looking forward to hearing from them. Thanks--
Mine: MD : IMG/ MPH: berkeley/ reseach fellow: Stanford/USMLEs 254, 259

Originally posted by DrDieu
nymed32,
Congras for the invite letter!
Would you post your stats too? Vandy is one of the places i'm looking forward to hearing from them. Thanks--
Mine: MD : IMG/ MPH: berkeley/ reseach fellow: Stanford/USMLEs 254, 259

From talking to the PD in an IM interest group meeting, it sounds like like he is not really interested in IMG's unless they have done an externship and have done very well.

Renovar,
So from your inside standpoint, what's the quality of the IM program there? How does it compare to other programs in terms of competitiveness? Does it mainly prefer SE applicants?

Mick

Step 1: 228, no step 2
No AOA, honors in 3rd year med clerkship and 3/5 total
First authored pub, to be submitted soon
Top 30 med school

Originally posted by Mick Turition
Renovar,
So from your inside standpoint, what's the quality of the IM program there? How does it compare to other programs in terms of competitiveness? Does it mainly prefer SE applicants?

Mick

IM here is pretty strong overall, with very strong and ever-growing research focus. At least 60-70% fellowships at pretty good places after training. (look at the website) Be prepared for some serious old-school program leadership though... Pretty good high tech medical center with good ancillary staff. Used to be pretty hardcore when I was a MS3, but much better now cuz of 80 hour rule and the dept is generally pretty good in keeping the hours to 80, although there will be time on cardio or MICU where it goes over.

By competitiveness I am guessing you mean inter-resident cut-throatness or how competitive it is to match? There are good espirit here, generally, and in my experience I haven't heard people @#$%ing each other over, people are generally pretty decent to each other. It's reasonably competitive to match (but a notch or two below the most elite of insitutions... cough... BW... cough), the numbers according to the PD in recent years is somewhere along the lines of 1300 or so applicants, 350-400 interviews, rank 100-150 for a class of 30 categoricals. Of the interns, there are some AOA's but I wouldn't say anywhere near the majority. I just talked to the secretary today, and she thinks the new PD this year spends a lot more time reading personal statements and stuff.

Not sure about the SE thing, although there are lots of people from SE med schools and lots of state schools. But I think that is in some ways reflect the application pool rather than a regional bias in selection.