Vanderbilt or USF (Financial Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIbram

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was accepted to both USF and Vanderbilt for the AuD program. I will have full funding at USF where as Vanderbilt is only offering me 50% tuition which will work out a cost of ~17,500 per year, not including housing.
Will receiving an AuD from Vanderbilt lead to more income in the future or possibly open up significantly more job opportunities?

In short, is it worth it to attend Vanderbilt over USF given the increased cost?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, I researched USF compared to some of the other Florida schools, ie UF, and found that for their ratings their program is okay. Being that Vanderbilt was #1 in 2012 (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-health-schools/audiology-rankings/page+1) and USF was only tied with five others for #12, and then this site shows an even greater distance (http://www.audiologyschools.com/top_school_rankings/index.html) I would say the choice is obvious. I personally have to take out 100% loans, but what I would never sacrifice is the quality of my education. If you believe that you like one school more than the other, choose that one. Also, I'm not 100% sure how consistent the ratings are of these schools, but I do know one thing, everybody has heard of Vanderbilt and you would have one of the most renowned educations possible. I know that things like that shouldn't effect job outlook, but we all know that they do. For example, a quality hospital or practice is more likely to favor a Havard grad over an FIU grad, etc. I personally had to take what I could get, but I would be jumping at the 50% tuition and then just work to apply for TA/GA, grants, and scholarships to further cover the difference. (Most of the Au.D. scholarships are merit based anyway, and since you got into Vanderbilt, I'm assuming you have no issue with that.) Good luck to you on whatever school you choose. And make sure you at least tell people you got into Vanderbilt! I'm jealous~ :)

Where you went to school or how high your GPA was may raise the initial eyebrow of interest but neither will really get you a job. What will get you a job though is YOU and what you bring to the table in an interview. People skills paired up with solid clinical practices is what will get you your first job and keep you employed in the long run If you can afford to pay the extra $ to go to Vandy - then do it because it certainly won't hurt your prospects, But if it means going into debt and making financial sacrifices that you're not prepared to deal with during or after Vandy - then take the full ride to UF. After your first job - it's more about experience and who you are as a person way more than where you went to school. Hope this helps.