SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Vanderbilt: Waitlist Movement and Important Information for 2003 Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by California, Jul 22, 2002.

1. California

California Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    The Golden State
    Waitlist Movement
    I just want to inform those who are interested that waitlist movement is occurring at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. I received a call this morning (July 22, 2002; 9:30 am PST) from Pat Sagan informing me of my acceptance. Unfortunately, I had to say "no" in favor of a school in California. I felt bad for turning her down.

I hope this information is helpful to someone who is still waiting to hear from Vanderbilt. However, I am sure interest has died down here on SDN because our beloved Legend finally got what he deserved: an acceptance!

Helpful Information for 2003 Applicants
    I want to let you know that the appeal process at Vanderbilt does work. Initially, I was not invited for an interview and, for whatever reason, this left me quite upset. I guess it was because I still had not submitted my secondary application. I subsequently contacted Dr. Helderman, the Chair of the Admissions Committee, and explained to him my situation. He told me that I did not receive an interview because my AMCAS application did not have my current activities. I told him that this information was in my supplementary applciation. He said, "Okay, go ahead and send the supplementary application. I can't guarantee anything, but the Admissions Committee will look over your application again." Six days later, I received an invitation for an interview. Needless to say, I was eventually accepted to the school (from the waitlist). Moral of story: Appeals do work if they are legitimate. Good luck to all those applying to Vanderbilt this cycle!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. California

California Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    The Golden State
    I also want to add one more thing. After I was waitlisted, I sent a letter to the Admissions Committee explaining my interest in Vanderbilt as one of my top choices. I think this helped my cause because Pat Sagan specifically mentioned the letter during the *acceptance* phone call.