Variation in Practice VR Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibn Rushd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled for the Jan 31st exam, and I'm very concerned about my VR preparation. I'm doing the EK 101 practice, and I've seen all kinds of scores. I showed some improvement after a few exams, but as of late, I seem to be doing worse! :( This is what I've gotten on the past five exams:

EK5: 9
EK6: 7 (apparently this exam is relatively harder?)
EK7: 10
EK8: 7
EK9: 7 (missed the 8 by one question)

Should I be worried? I only have five more of these practice tests and then I'm going to start practicing with BR and AAMC materials. Should I do anything different to get back in the 9-10 range? What can I do to stay in that range?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scheduled for the Jan 31st exam, and I'm very concerned about my VR preparation. I'm doing the EK 101 practice, and I've seen all kinds of scores. I showed some improvement after a few exams, but as of late, I seem to be doing worse! :( This is what I've gotten on the past five exams:

EK5: 9
EK6: 7 (apparently this exam is relatively harder?)
EK7: 10
EK8: 7
EK9: 7 (missed the 8 by one question)

Should I be worried? I only have five more of these practice tests and then I'm going to start practicing with BR and AAMC materials. Should I do anything different to get back in the 9-10 range? What can I do to stay in that range?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

I would try different strategies and see what works.

For me, it was my easiest. I would just read it and answer the questions.

You could also go back over the tests and review what you missed. It helps to see what question types you are missing. I think that analysis can get you 1-2 points on average.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

So I took EK 10 today, and I got a 9. Missed the 10 by two questions. The strangest thing about this test is that I missed 10 questions in the first half, that is in the first 20 questions, and only 2 in the entire second half, the latter 20 questions. Midway through the test it felt that everything just "clicked," that I was in the zone. Had I been in the zone at the start, I could have scored a 12 or a 13!! :thumbdown:

I just wish I could be more consistent with my scores. I seem to be all over the place. I seem to have good days and bad days, a good stretch during the exam as well as a bad stretch. I guess I should continue practicing and hope for the best on test day.

When you're doing your post-practice analysis, look for any trends in the problems you're missing. If you go back over your tests, you'll probably find something.

My variations are as follows so far:

1- 13 (Kap)
2- 11 (EK )
3- 12 (Kaplan)
4- 12 (Kaplan)

I mean seriously..the difference between a 14 and 13 is one question..and most of them have a 1 question difference between 13 and 12...kind of crazy

My variations are as follows so far:

1- 13 (Kap)
2- 11 (EK )
3- 12 (Kaplan)
4- 12 (Kaplan)

I mean seriously..the difference between a 14 and 13 is one question..and most of them have a 1 question difference between 13 and 12...kind of crazy

haha, yeah I wouldn't bank on those kaplan VR scores..

my kaplan scores have been: 10,10,13,13,13,11,13
while my ek scores have been: 8,11,10,11,9,8,11

there is a big discrepancy, and unfortunately ek seems to be the better predictor

Try the AAMC ones. Those are very accurate in predicting your real VR score. Although EK 101 is very good too.

My advice: do the AAMCs. They're the best predictor. EK is pretty good too.

So I took EK 11 today ... and I got a seven, a freakin' seven! :mad:

I think I tend to well on certain types of passages, and horribly on other kinds of passages. That seems to be the problem. I just have a harder time digesting and processing the information presented in passages that are about art, or economics, or law.