Variety within LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melancholy

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Just wanted to ask an opinion regarding selecting letter of recs (LORs) for residency programs. I realize that having variety within the four LORs sent to a program is a valuable thing, but in the grand scheme of things, is having too many strong PM&R letters submitted to a program a deal breaker? (i.e. Not having four PM&R letters, or even three.)

I ask because I am wondering if I should submit my two strongest PM&R (one from a chair, another from a PD) LORs as well as strong letters in OB/GYN and FP to show some diversity. I have a third PM&R letter that could be a very strong letter, but it from an asst. professor from the same program as one of my other PM&R letters. I'm not sure whether three letters would be overkill, especially for programs that I have not rotated at.

My struggle is basically deciding how to balance out my four letters. Any constructive suggestions as to the pro's and con's based on personal or anecdoctal experience would be really helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts.....

If you have a strong and complimentary letter from a specialty other than PM&R, use it. I mean, if you can get a fantastic letter that shows you to be a strong candidate from a field you're not even interested in, then what are you going to look like when you are in your chosen field?

BTW, I submitted two from rehab, one from peds and one from psych. Always got one or more comments on the diversity of my letters and letter writers. I think this really made my application seem stronger - that I worked my butt off in many rotations - not just the ones that I thought would get me ahead in my residency search....

good LOR's from FP and medicine are usually the best compliment to PM&R letters
psych and neuro are also good options

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't using LOR from fields that are closely related to PMR be an excellent option, such as ortho, neurosurgery, neuro or rheum?

Yes, that is very good advice, although due to either not having the space to rotate at some of these specialties or not having a very strongly and properly written LOR precludes me from using a non-PM&R letter from some of these specialties.

I think any letter can be complimentary to your app if it says you're an excellent student. But, if you have all PM&R, ortho, neuro, and neurosurg type letters only it shows that you perform well when you're interested. A glowing letter from OB, psych, gen surg and the like shows that you consistently perform well no matter what rotation. Certainly, your Dean's letter will reflect this somewhat, depending on how your school grades. I'm hoping to add a second PM&R PD letter and then use an IM, and a great Gen Surg PD letter.

I'll add a question here too...If you get a letter from a PM&R PD at a program you're applying to do you, A: send the letter to them making sure everyone else on the committee know what the PD thinks, or B: hold the letter, assuming the committee already know what he/she thinks, and instead use another PM&R from another intitution?

Thanks for the response. I'm still on the border with a 4th LOR for a few programs, but I'll figure it out soon.

As for your question, my initial response would be to defer to residents/graduates here because some have probably sat at those committee tables and seen LORs from their own system.

That being said, I am not convinced that just because a PD or chair wrote a letter for someone, everyone else who takes part in the selection committee meetings would already know the same information that could be gleaned from actually reading the LOR. It could be a balance between having the LOR affirming what the committee's general thoughts are or giving them another LOR with a different point of view from an outside institution. Hmm...

Agree with above - include the LOR from the PD. It looks weird if you don't have the letter and there's evidence you have rotated there. Also, the committee won't necessarily get a chance to read the letter even if they know how the PD feels about you. You never know how many letters the PD has written for students and if you leave it out and you get lost in a pile of applications, they may never know that the PD thought highly of you.

is it more reccomendable to get a letter from the PD or from one of the attending assistant professors you actually worked more with?? I figured is would be better to get one from someone who knew you better?