various Nursing titles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just had a question about the various titles... if anyone could differentiate them for me in terms of education, and clinical scope, I'd greatly appreciate it:

Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse
Certified Nursing Assistant
Nurse Practitioner
Nursing Assistant

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

freddydpt said:
Hi, I just had a question about the various titles... if anyone could differentiate them for me in terms of education, and clinical scope, I'd greatly appreciate it:

Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse
Certified Nursing Assistant
Nurse Practitioner
Nursing Assistant

Thanks

NA: Anyone off the street. Can fill ice, wipe butt, basically whatever the Nurse tells them to do.
CNA: Basically the same thing... have to pass an exam I think.
LPN: 9 months of training I believe. Can do everything a RN can do except push meds IV (may be other things they can't do that RNs can)
RN: 2-4 years training (either diploma, associates, or bachelor's degree). Can administer ordered drugs, assess patients, and everything the above can do.
NP: Minimum 7 years training. Master's degree now required. Can see patients, order and interpret lab/xray, do minor surgical procedures, write prescriptions, bill medicaid/medicare (pretty much anything a primary care doctor can do, except in most states must have a written agreement with a doctor to collaborate with to be able to consult if needed). Some states have limited prescriptive authority, but most allow up to at least schedule III narcs, and several have unlimited authority.

Members don't see this ad :)
hakksar said:
How about the difference between a PhD in Nursing and a ND (Nursing Doctorate) . . . I never understood the difference. The way CU's nursing school describes an ND is it is a Proffessional Level Nursing Doctorate (I guess more clinical and not teaching?). See CU's website to see what I mean: http://www2.uchsc.edu/son/sonweb.as...v.asp&content=dean/content/welcomeContent.htm

PhD is researched based. ND is clinical based. I don't see the reason to get the ND unless it's just driving you crazy that you're not called "doctor".

PhD is worthless unless you have to have it to teach or do research.