Various RN to MD Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magkaffee

Pre-post-bacc, lol
Reaction score
I have been looking through these forums for a while now and I hope that this thread isn't repetitive.

Background: 24/F, finishing BSN in April, then doing post-bacc for med school, cGPA and sGPA 3.6

1) When asked the "why not NP/PA?" question, would it sound insulting to say that "I desire the challenge, rigor, and knowledge gained in medical school; NP/PA school simply does not compare to the intensity of medical school/residency." Would that rub an adcom the wrong way?

2) I did not get a 4.0 in nursing school. Does it sound bad to be honest and say that I didn't get all A's because nursing school didn't challenge me and therefore I didn't give 100%?

3) When applying for RN jobs, how can I answer the "where do you see yourself in ___ years?" question when employers ask it to feel out your commitment to the job and I am ultimately trying to leave the RN field before I have even been hired?

4) Would it be beneficial, detrimental, or neither to try and get hired as an RN at a university (OHSU) that I want to apply to while I work on my prerequisites?

Thanks for your input or referencing me to any previous threads that you think I should look at. :)

Edit: to make it not a wall of text

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are going to see a lot of negative things said about advanced care providers and nurses on here. It is sad because ego and turf wars are damaging to the team (that we are all supposed to be on) and to patient care. If you want to private message me (your setting don't allow anyone to private message you) I can give you the run down of my path and my responses to these questions.

You are going to see a lot of negative things said about advanced care providers and nurses on here. It is sad because ego and turf wars are damaging to the team (that we are all supposed to be on) and to patient care. If you want to private message me (your setting don't allow anyone to private message you) I can give you the run down of my path and my responses to these questions.

I changed the settings, thanks! I'd appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midlevels shouldn’t be practicing independently. That’s not insulting to medical school adcoms. If you want to be the best trained to handle whatever is going to happen to a patient the answer is to be a doctor. Lots of people can be on the team and have a role, but someone has to be the lead.

Dont word it as “ I like a challenge” in fact dont try and explain why a 3.6 is poor?? Just mention how you enjoy learning and desire to be a lifelong learner and yearn for depth and being the best provider for your patient.
For the job interview, just mention that you enjoy learning and your always in school... they will assume its a RN-> BSN or an NP or CRNA program.... you dont have to and SHOULDNT get too in depth.

I have been looking through these forums for a while now and I hope that this thread isn't repetitive.

Background: 24/F, finishing BSN in April, then doing post-bacc for med school, cGPA and sGPA 3.6

1) When asked the "why not NP/PA?" question, would it sound insulting to say that "I desire the challenge, rigor, and knowledge gained in medical school; NP/PA school simply does not compare to the intensity of medical school/residency." Would that rub an adcom the wrong way?
Say you want the best training, but don't throw NP/PA under the bus, especially since you haven't experienced neither. Explain how you want to help patients in a different capacity.

2) I did not get a 4.0 in nursing school. Does it sound bad to be honest and say that I didn't get all A's because nursing school didn't challenge me and therefore I didn't give 100%?
There are better ways to answer this.

3) When applying for RN jobs, how can I answer the "where do you see yourself in ___ years?" question when employers ask it to feel out your commitment to the job and I am ultimately trying to leave the RN field before I have even been hired?
Say you don't know, but you're going to work your hardest. You're young and you still have room to grow in your career.

4) Would it be beneficial, detrimental, or neither to try and get hired as an RN at a university (OHSU) that I want to apply to while I work on my prerequisites?
Would look great, especially for networking.

Thanks for your input or referencing me to any previous threads that you think I should look at. :)

Edit: to make it not a wall of text

Dont word it as “ I like a challenge” in fact dont try and explain why a 3.6 is poor?? Just mention how you enjoy learning and desire to be a lifelong learner and yearn for depth and being the best provider for your patient.
For the job interview, just mention that you enjoy learning and your always in school... they will assume its a RN-> BSN or an NP or CRNA program.... you dont have to and SHOULDNT get too in depth.

Thanks for your thoughts. Does saying I'm interested in med school over NP school because I like challenges imply that I would struggle in med school?

Thanks for your answers! I really like your phrasing for 3!
For 2, would something like "I was not thinking about pursuing medical school while I was in nursing school and therefore was not focusing on trying to get high marks. I was more interested in achieving understanding of material" or is that equally bad, or worse? lol.

Thanks for your answers! I really like your phrasing for 3!
For 2, would something like "I was not thinking about pursuing medical school while I was in nursing school and therefore was not focusing on trying to get high marks. I was more interested in achieving understanding of material" or is that equally bad, or worse? lol.

I doubt you need to answer directly unless it's an optional essay in your application. I wouldn't worry too much about this right now, nor do I think they would ask you this during an interview. Your GPA should only go up if you're acing pre-med courses in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your thoughts. Does saying I'm interested in med school over NP school because I like challenges imply that I would struggle in med school?
No, but it lacks altruism and genuine love for medicine. Im not trying to bash you as we all prefer to succeed at challenging paths that does yield a sense of accomplishment.
But lets go through some possible twists an interview could take... (thinks) He/ She picked medicine because its harder than nursing? (Thats a blunt oversimplified statement but kind of exactly what you said) engineering and theoretical physics is hard also...
If you say the same thing but worded through enjoying challenges (high achiever) and lifelong learning (medicine is a marathon and always changing) and hoe you want to have the best education you can get so as to best treat your future patients (empathy). Seems like you are selling more.

A lot of the interview questions dont have a right or wrong answer. You are selling a product and often limited on the routes you can advertise yourself. One school had a MMI that was 3 8 minute interviews... trust me after you enter, get through basic formalities and they explain who they are you are going to answer like 1-2 questions and thats it...

I think at a job interview for 3 they arent looking for a dont know answer. It shows motivation and forward planning to have a direct answer.
“ I plan to continue my education and through gaining experience and maybe one day become a charge nurse because I enjoy teamwork and hope to one day lead by example.”

Are we starting to feel deceptive?

Reactions: 1 user
No, but it lacks altruism and genuine love for medicine. Im not trying to bash you as we all prefer to succeed at challenging paths that does yield a sense of accomplishment.
But lets go through some possible twists an interview could take... (thinks) He/ She picked medicine because its harder than nursing? (Thats a blunt oversimplified statement but kind of exactly what you said) engineering and theoretical physics is hard also...
If you say the same thing but worded through enjoying challenges (high achiever) and lifelong learning (medicine is a marathon and always changing) and hoe you want to have the best education you can get so as to best treat your future patients (empathy). Seems like you are selling more.

A lot of the interview questions dont have a right or wrong answer. You are selling a product and often limited on the routes you can advertise yourself. One school had a MMI that was 3 8 minute interviews... trust me after you enter, get through basic formalities and they explain who they are you are going to answer like 1-2 questions and thats it...
Ok, cool. I definitely get what you are saying. Thanks so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.