Vascular anesthesia rotation tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting a vascular anesthesia rotation in two weeks, and wanted to ask members here if they can offer any reading suggestions (chapters, articles). This isn't provided to me at my program. Barash and Jaffe are the two sources I am reading for my cases. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Between the 2 of those, you should be fine. Most of your learning on this rotation, or any rotation for that matter, should be done in the OR. In a nutshell, just expect to see the sickest patients that could possibly get cleared for elective surgery, patients who have just about every chronic medical condition and comorbidity in the book. Get very good at placing large IVs and Alines. Prepare to drop off lots of patients to the ICU.

Keep the pressure high.

Best advice you will receive in your career.

You are welcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be starting a vascular anesthesia rotation in two weeks, and wanted to ask members here if they can offer any reading suggestions (chapters, articles). This isn't provided to me at my program. Barash and Jaffe are the two sources I am reading for my cases. Thanks.

Ignore when the surgeon tells you that he wants no pressors for when he unclamps the aorta. Ignore him when he says a blood pressure of 50/30 should be managed with fluids.

Major vascular cases can be tough. At least with cardiac cases, the heart is "fixed" at the end of srugery. Vascular pt's hearts are still **** after the procedure. Follow up on your pts on POD 1,2 and see how they're doing. You might learn something about the quality of your anesthetic. High risk for perioperative complications, esp cardiac

Reactions: 1 user