Vascular anesthesia rotation tips

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by axeon123, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. axeon123

axeon123 New Member 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will be starting a vascular anesthesia rotation in two weeks, and wanted to ask members here if they can offer any reading suggestions (chapters, articles). This isn't provided to me at my program. Barash and Jaffe are the two sources I am reading for my cases. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Triple AAA

Triple AAA 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Between the 2 of those, you should be fine. Most of your learning on this rotation, or any rotation for that matter, should be done in the OR. In a nutshell, just expect to see the sickest patients that could possibly get cleared for elective surgery, patients who have just about every chronic medical condition and comorbidity in the book. Get very good at placing large IVs and Alines. Prepare to drop off lots of patients to the ICU.

4. urge

urge 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Keep the pressure high.

Best advice you will receive in your career.

You are welcome.

Gimlet likes this.
  5. anes

anes ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ignore when the surgeon tells you that he wants no pressors for when he unclamps the aorta. Ignore him when he says a blood pressure of 50/30 should be managed with fluids.

6. Ezekiel2517

Ezekiel2517 Anesthesiologist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Major vascular cases can be tough. At least with cardiac cases, the heart is "fixed" at the end of srugery. Vascular pt's hearts are still sh*t after the procedure. Follow up on your pts on POD 1,2 and see how they're doing. You might learn something about the quality of your anesthetic. High risk for perioperative complications, esp cardiac

okayplayer likes this.

About the ads