VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! My application was finalized 2/15 and I was accepted 2/21. I'm debating between this one, LECOM, and Touro's MS programs. I do really like VCOM for the multiple chances to get the linkage.
I was accepted to Touro MS and chose Bluefield/VCOM instead. Touro only accepts 35 students from the program. VCOM wants as many at possible to get in and that was more than 60 in my class last year. There was virtually no competition among MABS students – we all worked together and helped one another. LECOM only guarantees an interview. On top of all this, VCOM is a better school than LECOM or Touro.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Touro MS and chose Bluefield/VCOM instead. Touro only accepts 35 students from the program. VCOM wants as many at possible to get in and that was more than 60 in my class last year. There was virtually no competition among MABS students – we all worked together and helped one another. LECOM only guarantees an interview. On top of all this, VCOM is a better school than LECOM or Touro.
Thanks for the insight! I was definitely the most hesitant about Touro's program because of the curved grading scale.

Thanks for the insight! I was definitely the most hesitant about Touro's program because of the curved grading scale.
I was accepted to LECOM MMS as well, but when I went to turn my deposit in, in person I spoke to someone from admissions and they stated that about 30/100 were accepted into their medical school program. Again it is just an interview you gain upon meeting the requirements, so it is no guarantee. I accepted my offer to VCOM MABs for 23-24 as the linkage seems to be very strong and many students in their program have said good things about it on this forum (although it is dependent person to person of course).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! My application was finalized 2/15 and I was accepted 2/21. I'm debating between this one, LECOM, and Touro's MS programs. I do really like VCOM for the multiple chances to get the linkage.
I turned down touro for vcom because touro goes by a curve and only accepts the top 30% of the class whereas VCOM accepts everyone who meets the benchmarks. Also I think VCOM has better connections in terms of matching etc than LECOM but i'm not 100% sure about that.

I turned down touro for vcom because touro goes by a curve and only accepts the top 30% of the class whereas VCOM accepts everyone who meets the benchmarks. Also I think VCOM has better connections in terms of matching etc than LECOM but i'm not 100% sure about that.
I was going through matches and residencies for these three programs. One of the big factors in geography was that LECOM is relatively midwest, which is where I would like to stay, but it ultimately doesn't make a huge difference to me.

Hey guys! I am currently in the works of transferring my AACOMAS application to PostBacCas. Anyone here did this and if so how long did a response take ?? Thanks guys

Hi, current MABS Student here, Graduating 2023. I have gotten a few questions regarding housing in the area, and when to start looking, if its actually too early to look? I actually got accepted in the very last stretch before classes began so when i say i was rushing to find housing, I mean it. I don't think its ever too early to start looking and even confirm, especially if you've been accepted. I believe the best way is to pull up a list of housing neighborhoods in the area before you visit, and visit them in person when you're here. That way you have a perfect timeline and will be able to see where you live and see if you like it. Read reviews!!! I cannot stress that enough. But reach out to them ASAP, housing especially closer to the campus area tends to fill up really quick, like really. Closer to campus there are points like any of the Knollwood neighborhoods, the VUE just opened up recently and have many availabilities, Cedar Pointe is also a very hot spot for MABS students. These are closer. A bit further aways (but not really bc blacksburg isnt that big, so like maybe 5-7 mins) is Smiths Landing, Foxridge, Collegiate Suites. There's also private housing like townhomes and other individuals who often look for roommates. Its up to your preference. if you have been accepted, i believe reaching out to students in the GroupMe or facebook page is the best way to go about it (i think i saw that someone created a page for your class)

Goodluck, and lmk if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any previous MABS student can speak about their mcat prep while trying to reach a 3.6+ in the program?

Just received an email I am in final review. I'm so nervous!

Hey guys!! I'm a current MABS student. The second semester defiantly seems harder than the first. So if any of yall want an update on how the second semester is going so far, DM me. I'm more than happy to help

I just gained an acceptance. Admissions review on March 1st.

Do students still submit med school apps at the beginning of this program? Is that allowed or advised against?

Do students still submit med school apps at the beginning of this program? Is that allowed or advised against?
You can still apply to any other med schools. In fact, they encourage it. the dean also can write you a letter for other schools too if you'd like.

You can still apply to any other med schools. In fact, they encourage it. the dean also can write you a letter for other schools too if you'd like.
Really? Even at the start of the program? Students still enjoy having a conditional seat at VCOM right?

Really? Even at the start of the program? Students still enjoy having a conditional seat at VCOM right?
Yes, you can apply when applications open up in June AND join the program. It's a linkage. So you need to meet the MCAT and GPA PLUS a positive interview evaluation to get your acceptance. You need to treat this program as a year-long interview and always be professional and not complain too much. Stay away from drama. Complaining about exams or how hard the test was is a great way to lose your positive evaluation. Also, things like don't show up late to class because professors notice this.
Additionally, even if you meet the gpa, MCAT, and positive valuation, and get acceptance into VCOM, you can still lose your positive evaluation if you don't meet the 3.6 GPA requirement in the spring or miss more than 16 days of class per semester.

Once you get accepted, you're still gonna have to work hard to get the 3.6 in spring. or you will lose your seat. But if you put in the work, you will do great.

Yes, you can apply when applications open up in June AND join the program. It's a linkage. So you need to meet the MCAT and GPA PLUS a positive interview evaluation to get your acceptance. You need to treat this program as a year-long interview and always be professional and not complain too much. Stay away from drama. Complaining about exams or how hard the test was is a great way to lose your positive evaluation. Also, things like don't show up late to class because professors notice this.
Additionally, even if you meet the gpa, MCAT, and positive valuation, and get acceptance into VCOM, you can still lose your positive evaluation if you don't meet the 3.6 GPA requirement in the spring or miss more than 16 days of class per semester.

Once you get accepted, you're still gonna have to work hard to get the 3.6 in spring. or you will lose your seat. But if you put in the work, you will do great.
Do you need to resubmit all the letters of rec or they use the ones you submitted to apply to MABS?

What do students typically wear to class. I’m assuming it’s casual?

Do you need to resubmit all the letters of rec or they use the ones you submitted to apply to MABS?

You have to resubmit that through AACOMAS again. There's no way to transfer a letter from the MABS application to AACOMAS.

What do students typically wear to class. I’m assuming it’s casual?
The dress code is business casual every day. You need to follow the dress code if you want to get a positive evaluation. they said they would notice if you don't follow the dress code and will put that in your evaluation, which is NOT good if you want to get accepted to VCOM

Is there a secondary app to VCOM MABS? Or is it just the Postbaccas app?

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing/accepting students? Is there even an interview process?

I just applied to MABS and am hoping to still be considered, does anyone know from past threads if it was beneficial to apply early? All my materials were in before the deadline but I know some schools are rolling and they hit their capped acceptances sooner. I also had to submit a part of the application by email not through postbaccas so I hope that's still considered and added to my app.

Hi all!

Hope this information helps others that are applying and trying to figure out time frames.

I applied kinda late to the in-person MABS program as an OOS applicant. Got the email saying my application moved from processing to admissions committee review two days later in the morning and got the acceptance the same day in the evening! Really quick turn around time for me (2 days between submitting the application and the acceptance) but I didn't get the "next step instructions" until about a week later.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Hope this information helps others that are applying and trying to figure out time frames.

I applied kinda late to the in-person MABS program as an OOS applicant. Got the email saying my application moved from processing to admissions committee review two days later in the morning and got the acceptance the same day in the evening! Really quick turn around time for me (2 days between submitting the application and the acceptance) but I didn't get the "next step instructions" until about a week later.
Did you get a student ID number? I got the acceptance like 2 weeks ago but they never sent me a student ID, so I can't really do anything. I've reached out a few times with no reply.

Did you get a student ID number? I got the acceptance like 2 weeks ago but they never sent me a student ID, so I can't really do anything. I've reached out a few times with no reply.
The school is dealing with a cybersecurity attack so that would explain why

I’m having the same issue. Trying to get my financial aid done is like pulling teeth.

I ended up getting my ID number 6 days after the acceptance email. They didn't make it clear that it was my student ID though. The email basically just said "for future reference when filling out financial aid documents or other forms use this number".

I would definitely reach out to admissions though if you haven't gotten an email yet!

Any previous MABS student can speak about their mcat prep while trying to reach a 3.6+ in the program?
They have a large library of MCAT books in the classroom. There was a 5 week Christmas break and if you follow Dr. Hill’s advise, you will do well. I had a 14 point jump to 506 on the January MCAT!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from financial aid? I can’t bet a hold of anyone.

Does anyone know if the deadline was extended. On PostBacCAS it says june 1st. On the VCOM website is says the deadline is May 15th

They have a large library of MCAT books in the classroom. There was a 5 week Christmas break and if you follow Dr. Hill’s advise, you will do well. I had a 14 point jump to 506 on the January MCAT!
what was Dr, Hills advise

Can you please share what this advice consists of?

what was Dr, Hills advise
Study 50 hours per week. Do practice questions vs reading. Focus hard on what you do not know vs what you already know. Schaum's outline books were amazing for general chem, organic chem and biochem for the MCAT. He'll give a seminar on this.

Accepted to MABS! Please message me if someone is looking for a roommate!