VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I applying for the 2024-2025 cycle. Did you guys get updated from MABS as to when your application was under review/finalized? I submitted mine in august and was marked complete, but haven't heard back since then.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am a current OMABs student almost done with the fall semester. If there are any questions feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am a current OMABs student almost done with the fall semester. If there are any questions feel free to ask.
Hey! I was wondering if you could help me answer some questions

1. How vigorous is the course? How much studying are you averaging per day?
2. What are the test like? 2x 150 questions tests per week?
3. How is their MCAT prep if any? Will there be time slotted to study specifically for the MCAT?

Hey! I was wondering if you could help me answer some questions

1. How vigorous is the course? How much studying are you averaging per day?
2. What are the test like? 2x 150 questions tests per week?
3. How is their MCAT prep if any? Will there be time slotted to study specifically for the MCAT?
I'm not sure if this was answered for you already.

1. The courses are as difficult as what you would see in medical school. I think the psychological component makes it more difficult to some degree because you can't afford to bomb more than one exam and still average at least a 84.5% in every class without a lot of stress. Most classes only have exams making up their grades with the exception of one or two classes a semester. I usually try to study for 3 or 4 hours a day then as an exam gets closer it's more like 6-7 and the two days before like 9+ hours of studying.

2. Usually every exam is 9-12 hours of lecture meaning anywhere between 30-50 slides per hour. You get 5 questions per hour of lecture on an exam. Every question is usually worth 2-3% since most exams are between 40-50 questions. This is the same way the medical school gives exams so it's just as fair as what the med students get. First semester for us we usually had two test every first day of the week.

3. They have free MCAT books in the back of the classroom you're able to borrow. The classes prepare you for a lot of content that's on the MCAT like Biochem / immuno / physiology. Your winter break you get 6 weeks off to study and take the exam in January for those who need the 496 still. I'd recommend taking it before MABS at least to try to get a 496. Will make your life so so so much easier if you just dedicate time now to get that out of the way. They don't guarantee some more competitive campuses really unless you have the MCAT by the December MABS interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this was answered for you already.

1. The courses are as difficult as what you would see in medical school. I think the psychological component makes it more difficult to some degree because you can't afford to bomb more than one exam and still average at least a 84.5% in every class without a lot of stress. Most classes only have exams making up their grades with the exception of one or two classes a semester. I usually try to study for 3 or 4 hours a day then as an exam gets closer it's more like 6-7 and the two days before like 9+ hours of studying.

2. Usually every exam is 9-12 hours of lecture meaning anywhere between 30-50 slides per hour. You get 5 questions per hour of lecture on an exam. Every question is usually worth 2-3% since most exams are between 40-50 questions. This is the same way the medical school gives exams so it's just as fair as what the med students get. First semester for us we usually had two test every first day of the week.

3. They have free MCAT books in the back of the classroom you're able to borrow. The classes prepare you for a lot of content that's on the MCAT like Biochem / immuno / physiology. Your winter break you get 6 weeks off to study and take the exam in January for those who need the 496 still. I'd recommend taking it before MABS at least to try to get a 496. Will make your life so so so much easier if you just dedicate time now to get that out of the way. They don't guarantee some more competitive campuses really unless you have the MCAT by the December MABS interviews.
Thanks for the insight!! Very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user