This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atl1998

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just received my acceptance email today for the SMP Bluefield/VCOM D.O. OMABS (Online Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences). I've seen a few other discussions for the On-Campus MABS program and just thought I'd create this in case others are looking for some more updated info on the program since everything I found was from last year. If anyone else comments, I want to create a GroupMe specifically for others doing the Online program. Just drop a comment saying hello if you're interested!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!
I just received my acceptance email today for the SMP Bluefield/VCOM D.O. OMABS (Online Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences). I've seen a few other discussions for the On-Campus MABS program and just thought I'd create this in case others are looking for some more updated info on the program since everything I found was from last year. If anyone else comments, I want to create a GroupMe specifically for others doing the Online program. Just drop a comment saying hello if you're interested!
When’s the start date for this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am a current OMABs student almost done with the fall semester. If there are any questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I’m applying to start the online program in January. I was wondering how common it is for someone to get accepted to MD school afterwards (considering this is through a DO school)? Also, is it a self paced program? I was wondering how it would work with the med school application cycle next year. If I don’t finish until September (9 months), wouldn’t that be kinda late in the cycle to apply to med school?

Hi, I’m applying to start the online program in January. I was wondering how common it is for someone to get accepted to MD school afterwards (considering this is through a DO school)? Also, is it a self paced program? I was wondering how it would work with the med school application cycle next year. If I don’t finish until September (9 months), wouldn’t that be kinda late in the cycle to apply to med school?
The professors pre-record lectures and you watch them at your own pace but you have an exam every week so it’s good to have some sort of schedule. There are also two checkpoints for benchmarks. If you are meeting the benchmarks at the first check point halfway through the program you’ll apply for the current cycle but if you don’t make benchmarks until the end of the program you’d apply for the next year instead.

The professors pre-record lectures and you watch them at your own pace but you have an exam every week so it’s good to have some sort of schedule. There are also two checkpoints for benchmarks. If you are meeting the benchmarks at the first check point halfway through the program you’ll apply for the current cycle but if you don’t make benchmarks until the end of the program you’d apply for the next year instead.
Do you know of any students who have been admitted to VCOM through the OMABS program? Or if there is any info about an acceptance rate since they don't do the guaranteed admission?

Hi everyone! I am a current OMABs student almost done with the fall semester. If there are any questions feel free to ask.
Hey! I’ve recently been accepted to the OMABS program for the winter term. I was wondering are the grades solely from exams or are there other components? Also are all of the exams based solely on the lectures and PowerPoints?

Hey! I’ve recently been accepted to the OMABS program for the winter term. I was wondering are the grades solely from exams or are there other components? Also are all of the exams based solely on the lectures and PowerPoints?
It depends on the subject but yes grades are primarily based on exams and 5% comes from a weekly discussion. So far health policy and biostatistics are the only courses I’ve had with other assignments. Most of the professors do a great job of solely basing exams off PowerPoints so you don’t have to spend a fortune on textbooks. The only complaint I’d have is for nutrition. The exams are much more specific then the lectures which can be challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know of any students who have been admitted to VCOM through the OMABS program? Or if there is any info about an acceptance rate since they don't do the guaranteed admission?
As of now 100% of OMABS has been accepted if they received an interview invite.

do I understand the linkage is not as good for online? can you clarify that and if you know if anyone in the online program was admitted to the osteopathic program? thanks

It depends on the subject but yes grades are primarily based on exams and 5% comes from a weekly discussion. So far health policy and biostatistics are the only courses I’ve had with other assignments. Most of the professors do a great job of solely basing exams off PowerPoints so you don’t have to spend a fortune on textbooks. The only complaint I’d have is for nutrition. The exams are much more specific then the lectures which can be challenging.
Would you say you've had a fairly straightforward time in the course? If you just study the PowerPoint & other provided materials, you'll do well? I've read elsewhere that many people leave the course. Why do you think that is?