VCOM (Carolina) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, I just sent off my secondary to VCOM. Here is my breakdown:

Living in NC currently (from Alaska)
MCAT= 24M (8,8,8)
sGPA= 3.17
GPA= 3.14
Completed Biochem through UNE and will complete another upper division science course by August.
2000+ hours of volunteering
Phlebotomist *(employer wrote me a stellar reference letter)

What do you recently accepted and current VCOM students think? Do you think I might be offered an interview? Oh, I might mention I had to put myself through college and thus worked to pay for every semester of undergrad. What are your thoughts? I know that this school is big on mission to the undeserved and my application is peppered with that basically everywhere. To those who might like chime in, what do you love about this brand new school in SC?

Thanks in advance.

I just got accepted with 3.6 sGPA, 3.5 GPA and 24 mcat (with some c's during freshman/soph years) and very similar volunteer hours as u! I think they should give you an interview and once u get that interview, just make sure you tell them that you're passionate about serving those in need and that your service hrs. speaks for itself! To me it seems like VCOM is very service oriented (mission trips, etc.) and once u make the initial screening, u should be ok! Best of luck and hopefully I'll see you this fall!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted with 3.6 sGPA, 3.5 GPA and 24 mcat (with some c's during freshman/soph years) and very similar volunteer hours as u! I think they should give you an interview and once u get that interview, just make sure you tell them that you're passionate about serving those in need and that your service hrs. speaks for itself! To me it seems like VCOM is very service oriented (mission trips, etc.) and once u make the initial screening, u should be ok! Best of luck and hopefully I'll see you this fall!
Congrats on your acceptance! I hope to be in that same boat this year. I am currently retaking some courses to bump up my GPA so I am hopeful, only time will tell... How long did it take the admission committee to invite you to interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all; Congratulations on your acceptance to VCOM-CC!!!

Before I answer your question do you mind sharing your road that got you to where you are? (feel free to PM me if you want).

Here is a bit of my life these last five years:

~900 hours building houses in Tijuana (seven trips, one was a three month internship).
~450 hours installing stoves in Guatemala (five trips) * another coming in March!!! These stoves (Onil stoves) were actually designed by a doctor (Dr. Onil). He kept seeing the same issues in third world country illness i.e. burns, lung complications from smoke inhalation. So he decided to designed this stove to stop these trends! Pretty Sweet.
~1150 hours youth ministry (5 years teaching sunday school and other stuff).

Also the Phlebotomist gig:
~600 hours working inpatient hospital in Alaska (though THIS isn't volunteer experience, still was a great experience none the less).

Congratulations again on your acceptance to VCOM-CC!!!

Oh nice, the missions trips are HUUUUGE pluses for you. While your gpa is on the low side, I know of people who have got in with comparable numbers.

As for me, I went to college right out of HS and flubbed big time. I had no intentions of going into medicine. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I spent 5 semesters there, failed 2 of those semesters (as in pretty much all Fs), quit, went back home and worked full time for my dad doing HVAC measurements in industrial buildings/schools/universities/etc. After a couple of years of that, we got a job where we worked in different hospitals around the state over the course of a summer. That was my first real exposure to medicine, and I liked what I saw. I started researching the different jobs available in healthcare, and over the course of a few months realized that I really wanted to be a doctor.

At the same time, I was looking to move. I was living in Indiana then and wasn't too fond of it so I moved back to my homestate of NC when I was 24 (6 years ago!) and started looking into options for school. I waited a year to gain residency again, and then started at a community college because I didn't think my state universities would accept me based on my past academic endeavors. About the same time that I started at the CC, I got a job in the ED working nights. I did that for 3 semesters, made straight A's with a science heavy courseload and then transferred to UNC-Charlotte. I continued working in the ED where I lived previously, about 30 hours a week at night to support myself while taking classes full time. I don't think I've taken a single exam since I've been at UNCC with more than an hour or two of sleep. Usually I get home at 4am and have to stay up the remainder of the morning to study for the exam. It's not been easy, and my grades show that. I'm definitely not a straight A student in the pre-reqs, and have C's in many of them. As you can see in my MDapps under my username, my gpa is far from perfect.I think what impressed the school with my application enough to accept me is the determination I've shown to get to this place with no help or financial support outside of what I can get through student loans, as well as the ability to really demonstrate that I have a real desire to help those who are less fortunate and/or underserved.

VCOM especially looks highly favorable on those who have a real interest in medical mission work, whether it's at home or abroad. They aren't looking for the smartest student out there, because it doesn't take the smartest student to become a good doctor. It's takes someone with reasonable intelligence who has the drive and determination to do whatever is necessary to reach their goal of helping others. I think I was able to convince them that I have that drive and determination.

Anyway, that's my story in a nutshell. Sorry for the mini-book. Good luck on your application. Hope to see you this fall!! Any more questions and I'll gladly answer them if I can.

Last edited:
Interview invite 2/6!!!! Anyone else interviewing that day?

I'm also interviewing 2/6, are you flying in or driving? I'm flying and I'm trying to figure out all the logistics...

Flying because I have to be in class for a final the next day, otherwise would have loved to drive. I found flying into Charlotte was the cheapest (for me at least), renting a car from there to Spartanburg. If you decide to fly into Charlotte, you're welcome to carpool!!

Oh nice, the missions trips are HUUUUGE pluses for you. While your gpa is on the low side, I know of people who have got in with comparable numbers.

As for me, I went to college right out of HS and flubbed big time. I had no intentions of going into medicine. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I spent 5 semesters there, failed 2 of those semesters (as in pretty much all Fs), quit, went back home and worked full time for my dad doing HVAC measurements in industrial buildings/schools/universities/etc. After a couple of years of that, we got a job where we worked in different hospitals around the state over the course of a summer. That was my first real exposure to medicine, and I liked what I saw. I started researching the different jobs available in healthcare, and over the course of a few months realized that I really wanted to be a doctor.

At the same time, I was looking to move. I was living in Indiana then and wasn't too fond of it so I moved back to my homestate of NC when I was 24 (6 years ago!) and started looking into options for school. I waited a year to gain residency again, and then started at a community college because I didn't think my state universities would accept me based on my past academic endeavors. About the same time that I started at the CC, I got a job in the ED working nights. I did that for 3 semesters, made straight A's with a science heavy courseload and then transferred to UNC-Charlotte. I continued working in the ED where I lived previously, about 30 hours a week at night to support myself while taking classes full time. I don't think I've taken a single exam since I've been at UNCC with more than an hour or two of sleep. Usually I get home at 4am and have to stay up the remainder of the morning to study for the exam. It's not been easy, and my grades show that. I'm definitely not a straight A student in the pre-reqs, and have C's in many of them. As you can see in my MDapps under my username, my gpa is far from perfect.I think what impressed the school with my application enough to accept me is the determination I've shown to get to this place with no help or financial support outside of what I can get through student loans, as well as the ability to really demonstrate that I have a real desire to help those who are less fortunate and/or underserved.

VCOM especially looks highly favorable on those who have a real interest in medical mission work, whether it's at home or abroad. They aren't looking for the smartest student out there, because it doesn't take the smartest student to become a good doctor. It's takes someone with reasonable intelligence who has the drive and determination to do whatever is necessary to reach their goal of helping others. I think I was able to convince them that I have that drive and determination.

Anyway, that's my story in a nutshell. Sorry for the mini-book. Good luck on your application. Hope to see you this fall!! Any more questions and I'll gladly answer them if I can.

Thanks for letting me know! My secondary was completed today so just waiting now!

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep you posted on my status!

Flying because I have to be in class for a final the next day, otherwise would have loved to drive. I found flying into Charlotte was the cheapest (for me at least), renting a car from there to Spartanburg. If you decide to fly into Charlotte, you're welcome to carpool!!
For me it's cheaper to fly in to Spartanburg, but thanks! I'm staying at the comfort suites listed on the vcom website though, so if you decide to stay there we could carpool to the interview of you want.

I just got out of the 'interview hold' and got my interview for Feb 13! Anyone else have that date?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got out of the 'interview hold' and got my interview for Feb 13! Anyone else have that date?

Congratulations!!! I interview the week before and will definitely post some interview feedback to help.

For me it's cheaper to fly in to Spartanburg, but thanks! I'm staying at the comfort suites listed on the vcom website though, so if you decide to stay there we could carpool to the interview of you want.

Great! I'm staying at Comfort Suites too so that works! :) So excited and nervous for the interview lol!

Congratulations!!! I interview the week before and will definitely post some interview feedback to help.

Great! I'm staying at Comfort Suites too so that works! :) So excited and nervous for the interview lol!
Ok, awesome- I'm going to message you about carpooling to the interview.

Received an interview invite today!
Completed application on: Tuesday, January 24th
Invited for an interview on: Monday, January 30th
Interview for: Tuesday, February 7th
So completely excited, see you all Tuesday and Good Luck!

Last edited:
Received an interview invite today!
Completed application on: January 24th
Invited for an interview on: January 30th
Interview for: February 6th
Bring it! So completely excited, see you all Tuesday and Good Luck!

That's awesome! Congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Anyone here who interviewed with me on Jan. 23rd? I'd like to keep up with you guys and know how everything goes for you. I'm hoping we all get a phone call from Mattie this Thursday!

For those of you interviewing this week or soon - good luck and don't sweat it! Everyone was so very nice that it felt more like a chat with a friend than an interview. The mock interviews I did with my undergrad professors were more intimidating! Great school and hope to see you all in the fall!

Thanks for the heads up. Did they say how many spots were confirmed for next year's class at your interview? I cant wait for Tuesday!

Thanks for the heads up. Did they say how many spots were confirmed for next year's class at your interview? I cant wait for Tuesday!

They didn't give a number but they did say that there was NO WAITLIST as of yet. That caught me off guard with how awesome it was. The class is not full so they aren't waitlisting anyone yet. Either you are in or you are not when you interview.

Great school. Hope I am accepted here.

They didn't give a number but they did say that there was NO WAITLIST as of yet. That caught me off guard with how awesome it was. The class is not full so they aren't waitlisting anyone yet. Either you are in or you are not when you interview.

This just made my day! Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully we all make it!

Do you remember who interviewed you? Was it 3 faculty or 2 faculty and a current student?

Do you remember who interviewed you? Was it 3 faculty or 2 faculty and a current student?
Everyone who interviewed with me had 3 faculty interviews 30 minutes long back to back. It was over very quickly! We also got to have lunch with 2 students and they were very nice and answered all our questions. One of them knew that the class was about half full, so we all still have a good chance! Like someone said above, there is no waitlist as of yet and they get back to you about a week after your interview with a yes or no. Pretty awesome compared to some schools that will keep you waiting until April!

Hey there, I interviewed on the 23rd, from Washington state. Got the call from Mattie today and can't believe I'm accepted. Words can't describe how happy I am. Hope it was good news for you today as well.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Will you be attending VCOM?
Most likely, yes. I'm going to wait until the deadline to accept just in case I get any more interviews, though. But yeah, I will probably see all you guys in August!

Anybody Interviewing on Tuesday the 7th? I will be heading to the school from the comfort inn if anyone wants to car pool, just message me. Good Luck everyone and a big congrats to those just accepted!

Good Luck to everyone Interviewing today! You are going to do great!

Good Luck to everyone Interviewing today! You are going to do great!

Interviewed today and absolutely LOVED the school, the mission and people! I REALLY hope I get in ! Good luck to you tomorrow!

Interviewed today and absolutely LOVED the school, the mission and people! I REALLY hope I get in ! Good luck to you tomorrow!
So glad you loved it! I did too. I'm so excited for the international and Appalachian outreach trips!

Everyone - let me know how everything turns out for you!

So glad you loved it! I did too. I'm so excited for the international and Appalachian outreach trips!

Everyone - let me know how everything turns out for you!

Me too!! I know I will definitely do at least one of those, if not more! This will be a longgg ten days. Who did you interview with?

I had such a great interview day here at VCOM. Solid school, people, and area. I second that fact that the next 9 days of my life might possibly be the longest I have ever experienced!!! Well that week leading up to my MCAT was a long one too! If I make it into this school I don't know what I am going to do with myself!

I had such a great interview day here at VCOM. Solid school, people, and area. I second that fact that the next 9 days of my life might possibly be the longest I have ever experienced!!! Well that week leading up to my MCAT was a long one too! If I make it into this school I don't know what I am going to do with myself!

I second this!! :thumbup::thumbup: Its going to be a longggg 9 days!

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I can't wait for tomorrow!! Kinda scared though... :xf:

I can't wait for tomorrow!! Kinda scared though... :xf:

I am hopeful, if they invited you for an interview the chances or good!!! The admission committee has already met today so the decision has been made... Tomorrow is the day we know!!! Hopefully we will be classmates come August! Who interviewed you do your remember? I had Dr. Zusmer, Dr. Peffley, and a student do my interviews. I thought they went well... tomorrow we will know haha!

I had Dr. Williams, Dr. Atance and a student. My first interview didn't go as well as I had hoped for (or at least I thought so)..so that is making me nervous. Oh well, you're right..decision has already been made. Here's too hoping we'll be classmates this fall!!

I interviewed on Monday and can't wait to hear from them! Like the other posters said, everyone was laid back. One of the professors barely asked any questions about me. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Has anybody heard anything!? I am going nuts Just Waiting!!!:whistle:

Not yet!! And ME TOO!!! The wait is tortuous!

I still haven't heard anything. As of Monday, they had around 20 spots left. One lady there said they have 3 interview days a week where they have 8 per day.