VCOM (Carolina) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
interviewed today... hear back 3/2..... mattie said only 113 have confirmed paid spots... 28 have been accepted but have not paid their deposits yet.... meaning of the '150' spots.... there are only 9 left they can offer... however the first class has 162 so technically, there could be as many as 21 spots still open.... she also said that once there is a wait list there is still a good chance.... last year they accepted 29 off of the wait list.... basically i cant wait till march 2nd to find out....im also interviewing for LECOM-bradenton on 3/2 and erie on 3/9... what a fun year!!! (sarcasm implied!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!! :thumbup:

Now for a quick story. This is actually my second year to apply to med schools. The first year I applied with a 3.8 cGPA and a 22 MCAT (p7 v7 b8). Sent 7 secondaries in and didn't get any interviews. Last summer, I really tried to boost my MCAT by taking another prep course with a different company. My practice test scores went way up, and then I didn't get any sleep the night before my MCAT. Similar to my first testing experience, I did not finish any of the 3 mc sections and ended up scoring a 21. Not thinking I would get anywhere, I still applied to 1 in-state MD school and several osteopathic schools with a 3.85 GPA and my 21/22 MCAT scores.

For the second year in a row, I was placed on interview hold by VCOM. I became very eager to have my chance to interview, so I wrote the director of admissions a letter of continued interest via email. Two days later, I got a call from VCOM SC extending an invitation for interview and I couldn't have been more excited. When I visited, everyone (including students) was extremely helpful and nice. I love how involved this school is with missions and I anticipate going overseas on one of the trips. The OMM room is suite too. (yeah that was bad...) While I will need to work some on standardized testing anxiety, this school focused on all other parts of my application more than the MCAT. I know there is an 'underdog' thread, but I just thought I'd share. Good luck to those of you that are applying!

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview invite! Any advice from those that got accepted?

Are my chances at acceptance significantly low if it's for the wait list?

Also, who's interviewing March 13th or 14th and flying down 12th, if you wanna split hotel costs/taxi costs? Send me a message asap! Thanks.

Last edited:
Any interview invites recently?

I am a first year. Last I heard 138 applicants had submitted non-refundable deposits. (people usually don't back out and lose $1,500). Offers were out on 20-25 students with 1 or 2 weeks to respond (the time is short for response now). I think some interviews are lined up. I think the class was filled as of late March/Early April last year with wait lists filling in beginning from May through early July (not many though).

Good luck if you are still in the process. I know it is grueling, but as far as medical school goes it's just the first step.

Actually according to Mattie, director of admissions, last year 29 people got off the wait list of 70, mostly people from high tier...

138 have paid, 14 acceptances are out pending deposit being paid and people are withdrawing as well as 2 people did on Monday and lost their money and more may do so if they get into a state school or another school...class size is 162 and the wait list has begun...

ACTUALLY FuturePharm21 that information was according to Mattie the other day (ya know, from someone actually at the school). As I stated, 138 have paid. There are probably less offers out as of today compared to a day or two ago (as people have probably replied); and 29 out of 70 off the wait list is true, but compared to other schools in SC it is not that many.

Good luck to those awaiting a decision.

I am interviewing on Tuesday march 20th . Any body interviweing on the 20th too. I booked my hotel at the comfort suites. PM me if you are interviewing on tuesday.

Good luck to all who are interviewing.

Last edited:
waiting for a phone call allday today but no luck anybody

Interviewed 3/19 and fell in love with the school. The campus was beautiful and everyone there was really friendly. I talked to Mattie today and found out i'm on the high tier waitlist. Hopefully a seat opens up cause this schools definitely my top choice.

Does anybody know when they plan on ranking their waitlist?

when did you interview?

I interviewed 4/10 and they said it would take 1-2 weeks. Its been one week so Im waiting for the news as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys like this school? Im thinking about applying this summer. I actually grew up less than 5 minutes from the school, which is good but bad at the same time.

Do you guys think I will have a chance with a 3.0 GPA and a 26 MCAT?

How do you guys like this school? Im thinking about applying this summer. I actually grew up less than 5 minutes from the school, which is good but bad at the same time.

Do you guys think I will have a chance with a 3.0 GPA and a 26 MCAT?

Depends on several things.

1. GPA breakdown (science vs nonscience)
2. MCAT breakdown
----------------------------------------------------------------
3. Clinical experience/shadowing
4. Volunteer work
5. Extracurriculars
6. Your ability to convince them that you not only really want to attend their school, but also that you have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine.

Basically, if the items above the dotted line are on the lower end of competitive, then everything below the dotted line needs to be awesome. I would say "and vice versa," but that's not necessarily true for VCOM. If the things on the bottom don't look good, then there's no way you're going to get accepted to this school no matter how good your grades are.

I interviewed last Month and I was on the waitlist. Yesterday I got a call for a seat, I wassssssssss supppppppeerrrr happy. Class of 2016.

I interviewed last Month and I was on the waitlist. Yesterday I got a call for a seat, I wassssssssss supppppppeerrrr happy. Class of 2016.
I interviewed almost 2 months ago and was told that I was in the top tier of the wait list. I am just curious to know what they told you if you don't mind. This is my number one choice, and I would move there tomorrow if they called me! I am trying to be patient, so any help would be much appreciated. I am still waiting like a few others to hear where I actually am on the wait list, but am too scared to contact them too soon...I don't want to push my luck!

I interviewed 4/11 and also am waiting to hear where I rank on the waitlist. I really wish I had applied earlier now. Here's hoping we find out soon!

Today, Mattie said they haven't even ranked the wait list yet. I'm guessing you were accepted pending seat availability and not wait-listed??

I called last week and was told it would be done this week... Called this week and now they are saying next week :(

:(

I am waiting on the edge of my seat for the phone call to find out which tier i am on. Hope it gets done soon.

has anyone received any recent intel from the school or regarding the waitlist?

All I was able to find out was that I am on the top tier waitlist. I am not sure of an exact rank.

All I was able to find out was that I am on the top tier waitlist. I am not sure of an exact rank.

when did you interview?

I interviewed 4/10 and still have not heard anything

anyone interview around 4/10 or 4/11 and if so, have you heard anything?

Interviewed 4/11. Still no news. Must be one heck of a wait list.

So I called today and they told me it would be another 1-2 weeks before we hear back :(

So I called today and they told me it would be another 1-2 weeks before we hear back :(

wow, my hope is "you've got to be kidding me",,,sigh, this is my best chance at getting into a school.

Yeah, it's getting kinda ridiculous. I'm tired of being on a leash. I wanna be free!

Same for me...only I got back a generic email! I would have loved to know something by now. I'm getting married in a few weeks, so having a place to live by now would have been nice:(

Looks like I'll be declining my acceptance once I get back home. I got into my state school off the waiting list. Hope one of you gets it and has fun there! I would have been quite happy there but staying in state is cheaper tuition and no moving expenses.

I withdrew my acceptance last week. Hope one of you gets it!!

I was told they changed the way they ranked the waitlist. It's no longer top, middle, and bottom tiers. You're either numbered (1-10) or not numbered. I was told I was not numbered but still have a chance of getting in. Meh.

Just curious to find out if the campuses differ in anyway besides location. I am a student in the Appalachian region looking to apply to one of these schools, but I was not sure which I would be better off applying to...

Thanks.