VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does the VT/VCOM relationship entail? Do students get access to their gym? Free tix to games? What's exactly in the deal? :)

To be a bit more specific, you are granted access to gyms/rec facilities, are allowed to enter student ticket lotteries(free)/ buy season tickets(only after freshman year for football), use the library, participate in intramural sports, and use the bus service(i think). I'm sure there are other lesser things available, but these are the main things.

Members don't see this ad.

Now I know VCOM's mission is to provide primary care to the Appalachia, but does VCOM provide good quality opportunities to see a lot of other fields other than family med, peds, or internal med...etc during 3rd/4th year clinicals?? ie. surgery, anesthesiology...etc?

Now I know VCOM's mission is to provide primary care to the Appalachia, but does VCOM provide good quality opportunities to see a lot of other fields other than family med, peds, or internal med...etc during 3rd/4th year clinicals?? ie. surgery, anesthesiology...etc?

YES!!! here is the requirements for 3rd year

Family Medicine
Rural Primary Care
Internal Medicine
Surgery
Obstetrics/Gynecology
Pediatrics
Emergency Medicine
Psychiatry
Geriatrics
Electives (whatever you wanna do---for example, anesthesiology)

4th yr....u get to do a lot more electives!!

class of 08 graduates matched into a lot of competitive residencies and at well renowned places like John Hopkins, Duke, Emory! Plus Carilion each year takes at least one of our graduates into their orthopedic surgery residency!! VCOM now has created its own residency and fellowship in FM, IM, Geriatrics, and more is opening up! VCOM's vision is to create at a residency spot for each one of their graduates!

to the other post, VT/VCOM...u get all the privilages mentioned above + the bus. Pretty much, you are considered a VT grad student with all the privileges, nothing less. Since you hold the VCOM logo on the student ID card, u get discounts at many restaurants and hotels!! show them the card and save...it definitely saved me when my family came into town for White coat ceremony---i saved 60 bucks for two rooms!

and at some bars, like attitude bar, VCOM ladies enter for free or something like that on special days! Guys have to pay :rolleyes:

u got any questions, shoot my way! just dont ask too many at once, just because it will be overwhelming to write a 3 page response in the midst of exams!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Goodluck Bacchus- Hopefully Bea will call ya soon.

VCOM is AWESOME- you'll love it here!

I can't wait until my interview -1 week from today!

Just wondering what anybody thinks of my chances at VCOM. AACOMAS is still processing my app, so I don't know if I'll get a secondary.

Undergrad: 3.4 Overall; 3.5 Sciences (Bio major/Chem minor)
Graduate: 4.0 Environmental Science
MCAT: 25L :mad: (I panicked,retook it and will have new score next week expect 27-29Q)
EC's: pretty standard; wilderness medicine experience and volunteering; outdoors club; NSF research
LOR's: good

I'm from Western NC (Appalachia) but I'm not a PA or NP. Is being an NP or PA very important to VCOM? I decided to go to med school after a career as an environmental scientist.

Also, if anyone thinks I have a chance and knows the topics of the secondary essays, I'd love to get a head start on them....:oops: (thanks)

Just wondering what anybody thinks of my chances at VCOM. AACOMAS is still processing my app, so I don't know if I'll get a secondary.

Undergrad: 3.4 Overall; 3.5 Sciences (Bio major/Chem minor)
Graduate: 4.0 Environmental Science
MCAT: 25L :mad: (I panicked,retook it and will have new score next week expect 27-29Q)
EC's: pretty standard; wilderness medicine experience and volunteering; outdoors club; NSF research
LOR's: good

I'm from Western NC (Appalachia) but I'm not a PA or NP. Is being an NP or PA very important to VCOM? I decided to go to med school after a career as an environmental scientist.

Also, if anyone thinks I have a chance and knows the topics of the secondary essays, I'd love to get a head start on them....:oops: (thanks)

I think your chances are great...dont sweat it! just apply and u will get an interview. The average for VCOM for class of 2011 was 26.5 MCAT and 2012 was 27 (larger class size), i think...thats what our class heard...your GPA is in good range for undergrad and superb in grad! and u dont have to be a PA or NP..... i joined VCOM right out of undergrad! you will love VCOM...its worth it!

In response to MegaWatt: I think you have an excellent chance of consideration. The PA/NP thing came up since I am a PA and I noticed on the website special mention of PAs/NPs under the "recruitment" headline. I think in my case this will help although I'm an Oregon girl trapped in rural SC and not really close to Appalachia. (Does it help that my grandparents WERE from Appalachia and moved from Waynesville/Canton, NC to Oregon in the 50s when the paper mills were shutting down and there was no work to be had??)
What I like about VCOM is the emphasis on the well-rounded applicant.
Hopefully I'll get a secondary soon and an interview soon after that. I hate waiting.
:)
L.

hey guys, just wondering how VCOM graduates tend to do after medical school? Where do you guys rotate, how does the match list look?
They do well. Last year people matched at Duke, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, and Hopkins.

Edit: These might not all be right, trying to remember off the top of my head from a slideshow.

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to MegaWatt: I think you have an excellent chance of consideration. The PA/NP thing came up since I am a PA and I noticed on the website special mention of PAs/NPs under the "recruitment" headline. I think in my case this will help although I'm an Oregon girl trapped in rural SC and not really close to Appalachia. (Does it help that my grandparents WERE from Appalachia and moved from Waynesville/Canton, NC to Oregon in the 50s when the paper mills were shutting down and there was no work to be had??)
What I like about VCOM is the emphasis on the well-rounded applicant.
Hopefully I'll get a secondary soon and an interview soon after that. I hate waiting.
:)
L.

You should be good because on their site SC is included as apart of the Appalachia region. I am originally from SC so hopefully that will help me get a interview as well. (next cycle though lol)

Good Luck:)

Last edited:
I am from Vermont (I guess you can consider this the 'northern appalachia') and I received an interview. Hopefully it goes well :)

combat medic, how long after receipt of your primary did they send you a secondary. Also are they medic / RN friendly, I am from MA?

combat medic, how long after receipt of your primary did they send you a secondary. Also are they medic / RN friendly, I am from MA?

I was released by AACOMAS on 8/6/08, and I received the secondary about a week or two later. I send everything out at the end of August, and received a confirmation from VCOM that they have all my requirments in on 9/4/08. On 9/22/08 I received a call from them asking for an interview. Interview is set for 10/14/08.

I don't know what you mean by medic/RN friendly? If a school doesn't take into account that you have some high degree of medical training beyond what you might get in college...then they are missing out. I would assume that they all take that into account and it can only benefit your application.

the more i've been reading about this school, the more I want to go there. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to return there, as I'm a VT grad, spring 2006. cannot wait until my interview on the 14th.

Most of us got our very 1st choice!:thumbup: We have people in some of the top residencies such as neurosurgery, anesthesia, surgery, interventional radiology,...........

Good luck ya'll:luck:

I want people to know, don't make the mistake I did. I went to VCOM thinking it'd be another option for me if my pre-conceived goal did not work out. However, now with the possibility of being accepted here, I don't look forward to having to possibly make a decision. The school is phenomenal and holds it own and will hold its own in the future. Keep an open mind as you're interviewing... I saw the sign (and it opened up my eyes). Good luck to everyone!

Absolutely. In fact, every medical school loves to see their incoming students have hands on experience in medicine. Just think about it: An EMT/RN has experienced medicine first-hand... so in jumping into this medical school thing, they know exactly what they're getting into.

On the other hand, consider a 37 MCAT, 3.9 applicant with little to no REAL medical experience .... how does a medical school expect that applicant to know for sure if they want to actually practice medicine?

As a rule of thumb, well rounded application will take you further than one that is lopsided.

^^^ 100% agreed. I've heard stories of people with very high grades and little experience, and then freak out when the get to the cadaver section in anatomy lol. Experiene is very important.

Just missed a call from B. Jones concerning my application status. Would this be an interview invitation? I have already had the "on hold" letter sent to me. I thought it would take much longer for them to reconsider me.

I will call back tomorrow... seems to be out of the office now.

I have my interview on Tuesday!

I just got an email telling me that my application was put on hold. I'm totally bummed! What does this actually mean? Is there still any chance of an interview when you app is put on "hold" or should I be putting my eggs in another basket now?

Just missed a call from B. Jones concerning my application status. Would this be an interview invitation? I have already had the "on hold" letter sent to me. I thought it would take much longer for them to reconsider me.

I will call back tomorrow... seems to be out of the office now.
This is how I received my invitation.

I just got an email telling me that my application was put on hold. I'm totally bummed! What does this actually mean? Is there still any chance of an interview when you app is put on "hold" or should I be putting my eggs in another basket now?

There are a few people who were on hold for a short while before getting an interview invite. I'm on hold as well so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

Im on hold too...I just got the email this morning. I hope I get an invite soon though!

Hey everyone! Good luck!!!

I Love VCOM!!:)

Seriously though. Great place... no real complaints. Mostly praise.

I got the "we've received your application and will let you know within a week" note. As in, before inviting me for a secondary app. I fit almost all of their recruitment criteria too :( will be very bummed if I'm screened out. Maybe they just send this as a courtesy to everyone??

I interviewed today and loved it. They said we will find out on Thursday as well! That is the fastest turn around I have ever heard of.

I interviewed today and loved it. They said we will find out on Thursday as well! That is the fastest turn around I have ever heard of.

It's because you interviewed right before the committee meeting. I interviewed the 30th but also find out Thursday. Either way good luck! How'd you like VCOM compared to WVSOM?

It's because you interviewed right before the committee meeting. I interviewed the 30th but also find out Thursday. Either way good luck! How'd you like VCOM compared to WVSOM?

I chose VCOM over WVSOM!!! best decision ever! We have everything they have and more!

I chose VCOM over WVSOM!!! best decision ever! We have everything they have and more!

Most likely the route I'm going. Do you have a list of what simulations are going to be in that knoll building? I know mentioned a radiology one and surgery one where you can learn to scrub in. Do you know if they're going to have a sim robots that you practice surgery on? Also are there any electives that you can take to learn surgical techniques such as different suturing knots? etc.

Most likely the route I'm going. Do you have a list of what simulations are going to be in that knoll building? I know mentioned a radiology one and surgery one where you can learn to scrub in. Do you know if they're going to have a sim robots that you practice surgery on? Also are there any electives that you can take to learn surgical techniques such as different suturing knots? etc.

we have four SIM robots and the fifth one will eventually come in february of March; the newest G4 robot on the market!

I dont know about sim robots for surgery. Also, surgical suturing is not an elective anymore, it is integrated in the curriculum and required in Clinical Skills lab. Plus, when you join SOSA (surgery clubs) there is a lot more opportunities and advantages that you have over your peers.

I'm glad to hear that - I was wondering about the trade offs.

Supradoc - I think both schools are awesome - If I get into VCOM, I will go there over WVSOM because I think that VCOM is very similar to WVSOM in all the good ways (minus the long history of WVSOM, but VCOM has built quite a strong reputation in just a few years), with the added bonus of being drastically more affordable and a bit closer to TN (my home). I also really like the block schedule and combination of different types of learning (systems based, but with PBL incorporated) at VCOM.

Good luck to everyone! Thursday is going to be a big day, haha.

I'm glad to hear that - I was wondering about the trade offs.

Supradoc - I think both schools are awesome - If I get into VCOM, I will go there over WVSOM because I think that VCOM is very similar to WVSOM in all the good ways (minus the long history of WVSOM, but VCOM has built quite a strong reputation in just a few years), with the added bonus of being drastically more affordable and a bit closer to TN (my home). I also really like the block schedule and combination of different types of learning (systems based, but with PBL incorporated) at VCOM.

Good luck to everyone! Thursday is going to be a big day, haha.

ONE BIG PICTURE y'all might have missed!!! 3rd and 4th year rotations are at bigger hospitals at VCOM!!!! wvsom has the majority of all their rotation at small sites! VCOM's majority of sites are BIG and well known hospitals! Thats something important u need to read and look up about!! very impt....thats why i chose VCOM..

VCOM has it all...the curriculum, active VT hokie community, rotations, reasonable tuition, the professors are awesome, the early clinical experiences you get throughout 1st and 2nd yrs, high tech!!

the only negative you will see about VCOM is that it has a small library within the building, but on the other hand, you have full access to all VT libraries, but i like to study at the school building! NO other negatives!!!!! I guranttee it!

ONE BIG PICTURE y'all might have missed!!! 3rd and 4th year rotations are at bigger hospitals at VCOM!!!! wvsom has the majority of all their rotation at small sites! VCOM's majority of sites are BIG and well known hospitals! Thats something important u need to read and look up about!! very impt....thats why i chose VCOM..

VCOM has it all...the curriculum, active VT hokie community, rotations, reasonable tuition, the professors are awesome, the early clinical experiences you get throughout 1st and 2nd yrs, high tech!!

the only negative you will see about VCOM is that it has a small library within the building, but on the other hand, you have full access to all VT libraries, but i like to study at the school building! NO other negatives!!!!! I guranttee it!

Thanks for the post simpleman. I was looking at vcom's website and I got the impression that students here would have a lot of great opportunities for clinical exposure at larger hospitals. Thanks for confirming my thoughts (and hopes).

I'm pretty psyched about the VCOM interview on 11/3, we'll see how it goes.

I talked to a professional advisor/friend today and she said it appears I am in love with VCOM. I feel highly about it, but I guess from the other side when I talk about it I just have VCOM pouring out my pores, hehe.

Congrats Bacchus! You're going to love it here!

I remember my call from Bea, I'm happy for ya. The feeling keeps on getting better believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.