VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was curious about the dress code, and here's their policy:
"As VCOM is a professional school, students are expected to dress and conduct themselves in a professional manner. The dress of a student in the classroom, laboratory, small group, or clinical setting should be one that demonstrates use of good hygiene, appearing clean, and without unpleasant body odor. In the Classroom - students should dress in a non-provocative manner and in a manner that demonstrates respect for fellow students and faculty. Males should wear shirts with collars and long pants. Females should wear shirts that are not considered T-shirts or tank tops with skirts or pants or an appropriate dress. Shorts and jeans are not allowed. Semi-casual dress is acceptable. Dress shoes should be worn (no sneakers, sandals, flip flops or the like). Women may only wear open toed shoes which are considered dress shoes (not sandals). Note below that open toed shoes may never be worn in the clinical setting. Hats are not to be worn in the classroom or labs.
In the Anatomy Lab - students may change into scrubs and sneakers.
For Primary Care and OMM lab experiences - appropriate lab attire is required: shorts (preferably loose with soft material: cut-off jean shorts don't meet either requirement) sweat pants, and T-shirts (no tank tops). For women, a bathing top or other appropriate clothing that may be worn in public, but allows access to the spine, is required. Socks may be worn, but no shoes may be worn on the OMM tables. Warmer clothing may be brought to layer over the aforementioned clothing, but lab training may require that this outer layer be removed periodically. The dress code may be altered by the lab leader for that lab and will only be altered with advance notice. Lab clothing may be worn to the lectures in the afternoon prior to lab.
In Clinical Settings - professional dress is expected. In any areas other than the surgical suite, delivery room, or emergency room setting male students are expected to wear a dress shirt and tie, a short white coat, and dress slacks; female students are expected to wear dress slacks or skirts with a professional appearing shirt or a dress, and a short white coat. Dress shoes are required; open toed shoes are not allowed.
Students dressing inappropriately may be sent home with an unexcused absence requiring remediation. Repeated episodes may viewed as an issue which will be brought before the professional and ethical standards board."

Now, I get the need for dressing appropriately for clinical settings, but for class? Ew. While I'm not a slob by any means, sometimes I just want to go to class in my yoga pants and flip-flops. And half my wardrobe is tank tops....this could be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm serious! If I end up at a school with a dress code, I will have to do some major shopping next summer.

But at least they don't allow jorts....that speaks to good sense on their part! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
VCOM's dress code really isn't bad at all.

I mean, I just bought a few cool-colored short-sleeve collared shirts that are really comfortable. I put one of those on with some khaki pants and bam, I'm ready!

You only have to wear your stuff IN class... so right after class, you can go change into your PJs and study for hours... and hours... and more.... uggghhhh, gotta run, I need to study.

edit: also, there's only a handful of teachers who care / will do something about it...

Hey everyone
First congrats on getting to point where you are applying and having your money stolen from the AACOM and getting that secondary. For all of you who plan on coming or are considering it, great job if you get an interview. When I got one I thought I would just come and see and I loved it :) First off, don't sweat the dress code. I am from the black sheep class of the school and the dress is code is more hype than words. Be cool, it all works out. Second, if you have questions about anything from applying to the area to classes and rotations, shoot them my way. Good luck!

Well, sadness today as I got a letter from VCOM saying this:

Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to VCOM. We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interivew. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

The admissions committee at VCOM reviews completed applications periodically throughout the admissions cycle. Should they choose to grant you an interview, you will be notified via telephone.

Sincerely,
VCOM Office of Admissions

Anyone else get this? I hope they're not kidding that there will be further review :(

There still is a dress code... its not super serious.. you just have to look nice and can't wear jeans or flip flops (for girls at least). The guys usually wear collared shirts.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to VCOM. We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interivew. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

The admissions committee at VCOM reviews completed applications periodically throughout the admissions cycle. Should they choose to grant you an interview, you will be notified via telephone.

Sincerely,

Anyone else get this? I hope they're not kidding that there will be further review :(

I got the same email around this time last year and I'm currently a first year here...don't give up. Megan and the people in admissions are genuine; if they weren't at all interested in you, you would have gotten a rejection.

With that said, they may not review your file until much later this admissions season, so if you really want to go to VCOM, I suggest staying in touch with them. For instance, send them an update letter in a few months describing what you have been up to and sharing any good news (ie good grades, publications). Let them know why you want to come here and why you'd be a good fit. At this point, you have to make yourself stand out.

Anyone have experience with their missions track? I didn't show much interest on my secondary about dual degreeing but I'm very interested in what others have to say about opportunities in Appalachia and abroad.

I am sorry to hear that you guys got that dreaded email, but do not fret. A college WILL interview and you will find one you like. I promise ya that. You will be more angry like I was for applying to far to many programs and getting interviews you have to decline. You feel bad to decline them and you kick yourself for the money you used to apply there. Have faith and good things will come your ways. :D

Also, I'll be around the night after my interview if anyone wants to show me around! :-D

Drat I wouodl have loved to show you around, but I am not in town except on free weekends. My residency is 1.5 hours away from BBurg. Good luck though. When is your internview?

I got the same email around this time last year and I'm currently a first year here...don't give up. Megan and the people in admissions are genuine; if they weren't at all interested in you, you would have gotten a rejection.

With that said, they may not review your file until much later this admissions season, so if you really want to go to VCOM, I suggest staying in touch with them. For instance, send them an update letter in a few months describing what you have been up to and sharing any good news (ie good grades, publications). Let them know why you want to come here and why you'd be a good fit. At this point, you have to make yourself stand out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got this email and I doubt it's over. It just seems like an uphill battle at this point, but no worries; I won't give up yet.

Good luck on everyone's interviews.

Sincerely,

I got the same message today...:( This was one of my favorite choices too.

I hope they give us a second chance. I just find it strange that they would even tell the applicant such a thing, although I like to know my status.

Like, most other schools would just leave you hanging if they rejected you, right? VCOM lets you know what they're doing with your app which is cool but a little harrowing because it's like a pseudo waitlist; a tease if you will.

I guess in a couple of months if things don't shake out at my other choices I will drop them a letter or call and see if they still have any interest in me. :)

It seems that those who were put on hold are far away (Texas, Oregon). Does VCOM have a preference for neighboring states? I seem to remember reading something about that. I'm in SC but really the nearest DO programs to me are Atlanta and Bradenton. VCOM is high on my list considering my sister-in-law is in Maryland and I have a great-aunt in Williamsburg (although I plead ignorance to knowing exactly how far away that is from Blacksburg). I'm from a rural area too if that helps....
thanks all
btw, no insult intended to Oregonians...I'm a native Oregonian and homesick but we're on the east coast for now, so....

From the admissions website:

"VCOM offers special consideration for practicing Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Pharmacists, and graduates from foreign medical colleges who hold a masters, doctoral, or professional degree. For candidates with this professional and academic background, we are willing to review graduate transcripts to ensure our undergraduate course content requirements are met and we require these applicants take the MCAT. While we are unable to offer advanced standing, courses required for admission may be replaced by a similar course taken through the previous professional college." (italics/bold mine...I've been a PA for 8 years)

Does this mean I don't have to finish my Physics series? :rolleyes:

Did review the website, SC is included in the catchment area. This might just be my second choice behind MUSC. Hurry up and verify, AACOMAS!!!

:love:

Sincerely,

Yeah I got that email today. I don't know if that's a nice way of rejecting someone or they really will consider our application later in the cycle.

It seems that those who were put on hold are far away (Texas, Oregon). Does VCOM have a preference for neighboring states? I seem to remember reading something about that. I'm in SC but really the nearest DO programs to me are Atlanta and Bradenton. VCOM is high on my list considering my sister-in-law is in Maryland and I have a great-aunt in Williamsburg (although I plead ignorance to knowing exactly how far away that is from Blacksburg). I'm from a rural area too if that helps....
thanks all
btw, no insult intended to Oregonians...I'm a native Oregonian and homesick but we're on the east coast for now, so....

I think VCOM may have a slight preference for those close by if I'm not mistaken due to their focus on serving the Appalachia. BTW, Blacksburg is about 4.5 hours from Williamsburg :p

Yeah I got that email today. I don't know if that's a nice way of rejecting someone or they really will consider our application later in the cycle.

This is NOT a rejection! Don't give up. If you truly are interested in VCOM, they want to know it. One of you said that VCOM was one of your top choices - well, be sure to VISIT the school.

What's the best way to do that? Just call admissions, talk to Megan or Bea, and say, "Hey, I really wanted to come by to check out the school. Would so-and-so a time be okay?" This will give your application bonus points. (I visited the school and got a call for an interview 3 days later...)

Anyone have experience with their missions track? I didn't show much interest on my secondary about dual degreeing but I'm very interested in what others have to say about opportunities in Appalachia and abroad.
I'm a first year and we have not had any opportunities yet to do any of the missions stuff yet, but VCOM is very, very active especially in its overseas missions. The school is really distinguishing itself as a foreign missions pioneer. We have 4 clinics in south america and africa and there are tons of trips throughout the breaks and the summer. If you have the drive to do them, you won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: The missions trips I talked about above are both sponsored by VCOM as just a strictly mission trip, and also a very active christian-mission group (lead by Dr. Casoipo / Dr. Hopkins) for those that are interested.

I think VCOM may have a slight preference for those close by if I'm not mistaken due to their focus on serving the Appalachia. BTW, Blacksburg is about 4.5 hours from Williamsburg :p

Yeah, they have a slight preference, but there are plenty of people from different places in our class. Don't let YOUR location discourage you from trying... it's great here! Perfect weather, beautiful mountains, nice young & active environment next to Tech.

thanks all

I have a lot of classmates from SC. I think the general south-east area is the demographic they are talking about.

From the admissions website:

"VCOM offers special consideration for practicing Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Pharmacists, and graduates from foreign medical colleges who hold a masters, doctoral, or professional degree. For candidates with this professional and academic background, we are willing to review graduate transcripts to ensure our undergraduate course content requirements are met and we require these applicants take the MCAT. While we are unable to offer advanced standing, courses required for admission may be replaced by a similar course taken through the previous professional college." (italics/bold mine...I've been a PA for 8 years)

Does this mean I don't have to finish my Physics series? :rolleyes:

Did review the website, SC is included in the catchment area. This might just be my second choice behind MUSC. Hurry up and verify, AACOMAS!!!

:love:

I'm not exactly sure on not having to finish Physics... that would be a great question for Bill King, Bea Jones, or Megan Price. I'm sure with wording like that, it is more of a case-by-case basis.

i received one of those hold email letters today too argh.

I've got another question for your answer spree, Tideleonheart. How are students able to pay for these mission trips? I'm extremely interested in participating in programs like these, but I don't know if I will have any money to do them. Can money from student loans be put towards these, or would that be some sort of violation of the loan agreement since it's not going towards tuition, etc.? I'm going to be interviewing tomorrow morning, so I'm sure I'll be able to ask then if you don't know.

Yeay, I got an invite today...interview is on 11/3. :D

Oh I know...wishful thinking...but it seemed an interesting thing to come across. Thanks for the heads-up ;)

I'm not exactly sure on not having to finish Physics... that would be a great question for Bill King, Bea Jones, or Megan Price. I'm sure with wording like that, it is more of a case-by-case basis.

I've got another question for your answer spree, Tideleonheart. How are students able to pay for these mission trips? I'm extremely interested in participating in programs like these, but I don't know if I will have any money to do them. Can money from student loans be put towards these, or would that be some sort of violation of the loan agreement since it's not going towards tuition, etc.? I'm going to be interviewing tomorrow morning, so I'm sure I'll be able to ask then if you don't know.

If there is some restriction for using student loans for missions trips, I don't know about it. I (just like 95% of us) am and will be a poor college student for another.... 7-10 years.... so, I'm going to send out letters to people/church to see if they'll contribute. Anything left over I will probably just cover myself.

The 1 week trips are ~2000 and the 2 week trips are about ~3000 for all expenses... from what I've heard. Which isn't that bad really, especially if you could get half covered by family / friends / church / etc...

This is NOT a rejection! Don't give up. If you truly are interested in VCOM, they want to know it. One of you said that VCOM was one of your top choices - well, be sure to VISIT the school.

What's the best way to do that? Just call admissions, talk to Megan or Bea, and say, "Hey, I really wanted to come by to check out the school. Would so-and-so a time be okay?" This will give your application bonus points. (I visited the school and got a call for an interview 3 days later...)

This might be the case as said earlier for the people that aren't nearby. I'm a TX resident (but currently in AZ), so that might've played a part. Also, I can't realistically tour the school only to be invited for an interview a few days or a week later. Maybe VCOM is everything to me and nothing else, but I don't think I can honestly say that.

I probably won't give up and I hope no one else who got that email does too. I can still send in grades from my SMP when they come in, so we'll see.

Hey, guys!

I'm interviewing on Monday!!!

WOOHOO!

Awesome, congrats! When did you hear back from them? I'm guessing a few weeks ago at least. I just heard back from them on Monday, and my interview isn't until 11/3.

congrats on the interviews koojo and maldabrroc! Good luck

Awesome, congrats! When did you hear back from them? I'm guessing a few weeks ago at least. I just heard back from them on Monday, and my interview isn't until 11/3.

Yah, I heard back a few weeks ago. It's all sort of blurred together now...I've been coordinating 4 interviews so far. Plane tickets, flight times, hotels, transportation, cars...beyond ridiculous.

Time to start cancelling some!

Lol.

Yah, I heard back a few weeks ago. It's all sort of blurred together now...I've been coordinating 4 interviews so far. Plane tickets, flight times, hotels, transportation, cars...beyond ridiculous.

Time to start cancelling some!

Lol.

Ya I'm in the same boat. 3 interviews so far, and I've been scrambling to make reservations. It's kind of fun, but it sure is expensive. In the long run though, it's not that bad :)

Congrats on the interviews guys. Yeah it is good to cancel interviews if you do not want them. I made the mistake of applying to 12 schools and had cancel 5 interviews after I made up my mind on VCOM. Anyways, good luck :)

I got the acceptance call this morning after interviewing on Tuesday. That's got to be a record for quickest response. They told us that our interview group was lucky because an early decision group interviewed on Monday, so the committee had to schedule another meeting this week to review them. Expect a longer wait.

I got the acceptance call this morning after interviewing on Tuesday. That's got to be a record for quickest response. They told us that our interview group was lucky because an early decision group interviewed on Monday, so the committee had to schedule another meeting this week to review them. Expect a longer wait.
Congrats!! You're going to love it here.

Congrats, I agree with above poster, this place is great and you will love it!

Hey everyone,

Just read about VCOM's open house on Nov. 8th - looks like my husband has that week/weekend off.

I plan on calling admissions tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else plans to attend? Or.. any info from current VCOM students would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Just read about VCOM's open house on Nov. 8th - looks like my husband has that week/weekend off.

I plan on calling admissions tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else plans to attend? Or.. any info from current VCOM students would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

i just rsvp'd - am really looking forward to visiting the campus and meeting students!!

does it matter when you interview? i got to pick a few dates in oct. and i picked a later one because i have stuff to do, but i could have made it work earlier. So does it really matter?

What exactly does the VT/VCOM relationship entail? Do students get access to their gym? Free tix to games? What's exactly in the deal? :)

You get ALL of the perks/access that VT undergrads get. You basically are a VT student by attending VCOM.

does it matter when you interview? i got to pick a few dates in oct. and i picked a later one because i have stuff to do, but i could have made it work earlier. So does it really matter?

It may slightly just because of rolling admissions. But don't comment me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.