VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like from the email we received about verifying insurance today that there were 124 people.
This might be for those who hasn’t sent proof of insurance. I didn’t get that email and I’ve been accepted. So that number is more than 124.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sheila recently sent out a nicely organized PDF doc with all of the classes laid out for the term. There's a note on it that if a Z is next to a class then it's on zoom and if there is a CA (class attendance) then you have to be there in person. I am assuming then that for everything else, even though it has specific time frames laid out, are online and self-paced? The zoom things appear to be supplemental type classes, but maybe they're mandatory? Those are also live it looks like as indicated by their time frame.

That being said, the first week we have nothing that indicates we have to be there in person... The first day just literally says orientation with no CA or anything by it. I emailed Sheila for clarification but haven't heard back. Also on that Tuesday the 28th, there are slots saying "pictures" so I'm not sure what that's about or if we'd have to be there for that.
I believe it’s for the ID badge we get

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many people are waitlisted. I’m interested to see that so many people are interested in doing this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many people are waitlisted. I’m interested to see that so many people are interested in doing this program.
Its cause this program gives direct seat with gpa. So I'm not shocked to see lot of applicants

I’m officially off the waitlist! I just got a call saying that VCOM is offering me a seat in the program!

Reactions: 6 users
Yesterday was the last day to submit health documents and if they weren’t turned in then students were dropped. That’s why there’s a little waitlist movement today.

Reactions: 2 users
I am off the waitlist! If anyone is looking for a roommate please let me know. Female preferred.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Got the acceptance voicemail lol oops missed the call

I just got accepted off the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
My cGPA is 3.45 and sGPA is 3.21.
ECs: volunteered at hospital for like 200+ hours, scribe for 2 years, community service hours like 200+ hours through various orgs.

No, just DO

And finally, preferably not.

I'm in a similar boat, but decided to take the MCAT again (Had gotten a 495, so that one extra point may have made a big difference in my decision). But also I was hoping to apply to the HPSP program, which requires a 500 MCAT score. Which was ultimately my biggest motivator to retake. Also I was really blown at my score, I felt it did not exemplify my dedication to the exam, but that's just a pride thing.

I think in your situation it's best to just give it your all in the program. VCOM appears to be a great DO medical school (according to online articles and friends).

Hi. Did anyone apply to this program with accredited online labs and courses? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see if I could reach out to someone who completed the program. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!

Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see if I could reach out to someone who completed the program. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
Some of my friends were in this program. It's essentially a guaranteed interview if you meet the benchmarks but if you do well in the interview and met the benchmarks you are given admission.

Did anyone hear back about their decision recently? I applied on April 15, and went into final review on April 26

Since our class trend followed with past years so far, I would say that meeting the 3.6 in the Fall will probably be the same for the upcoming class. About 50% of the current class met the Fall benchmarks. That being said, I feel the schedule for the fall semester was far more rigorous than the spring semester schedule which contributes to some people not meeting benchmarks. There are tons of students who were super close to meeting benchmarks in fall but were just a few points off, say had a 3.58 but needed the 3.6.

As for maintaining the 3.6 in the spring semester for next years class, I do think it is still doable because the spring semester (at least for us) looks much more reasonable regarding exam scheduling and pacing, so I don't think it would be too difficult to maintain a 3.6 or higher in the spring semester. The benefit is that the overall by the end of the year needs to be a 3.6, so if you demolish fall and get higher than a 3.6, you can afford to get a tad lower than a 3.6 in the spring, as long as your overall still remains 3.6. (I'm making this assumption based on what is currently in place for us since I am assuming they only changed the actually stats needed.)
Hi there! This is a long shot considering it's an old thread. I am a current MABS student this year and as the fall semester ends, I am afraid I'll be in that boat of almost reaching a 3.6 by a few margins. Hypothetically, if I do not get an A in my last class, it would be a 3.565 GPA in the program. My guess from what you are saying is that they don't round up at all, right? How does one do better in the spring and can you explain why you think the spring semester is more doable? Holding onto hope here! Thank you