VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nucellina97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! the application opens Monday the 16th of September and I thought I should start a thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! the application opens Monday the 16th of September and I thought I should start a thread.

Thanks for starting this thread. I’ll be applying to the program in the next month or so. Heard nothing but good things so far!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied here as well. My application was marked complete and moved into the initial queue 11/13/19. Anyone have an idea on timelines for final review/acceptance?

Hey everyone, I was told I would hear back on 11/25, but still have not. Anyone in the same boat?

I applied here as well. My application was marked complete and moved into the initial queue 11/13/19. Anyone have an idea on timelines for final review/acceptance?
I was told it would take 2-4 weeks to move to final review once the application is in initial review, and then 2 weeks for a decision once it moves to final review.

Hey everyone, I was told I would hear back on 11/25, but still have not. Anyone in the same boat?
I was told my application was placed in final review on 11/13/19 with a decision in 2 weeks latest which should of been 11/27/19. Currently 11/30/19 and havent heard back yet either

I was told my application was placed in final review on 11/13/19 with a decision in 2 weeks latest which should of been 11/27/19. Currently 11/30/19 and havent heard back yet either
Good, that means there’s probably more in the same boat.

Good, that means there’s probably more in the same boat.
I called them a few days ago and they said they were busy accepting those who are currently in the program into the DO program. They said their faculty was evaluating current students.

I called them a few days ago and they said they were busy accepting those who are currently in the program into the DO program. They said their faculty was evaluating current students.
They’ve been saying that to me too

My application was in final review on Nov 13 and still waiting to hear back, I was thinking about calling them and asking about it since the email said it would take around 2 weeks

Anyone hear anything back yet? Been about a month for me since they said I would hear back in two weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything back yet? Been about a month for me since they said I would hear back in two weeks
Same here. Nothing back yet. Seems like ppl started hearing back starting in mid december from looking at last year's forum.

Last edited:
Just got the email that my application is under final review! Said it would take about 2 weeks to hear a decision. I’m really nervous guys!

Spoke with admissions this morning, they said I should hear back by the end of next week!

hey Guys, I m former MABS student, please feel free to ask related questions. will try to answer as soon as I can :) overall, great program for those who need good foundation to succeed in medical school. it helped me a lot to be more prepared for med school curriculum.

Reactions: 5 users
hi all! I'm a current mabs student here who just got accepted to vcom-virginia during the december benchmarks, if you have any questions about the program let me know. I am loving it so far

Reactions: 5 users
hi all! I'm a current mabs student here who just got accepted to vcom-virginia during the december benchmarks, if you have any questions about the program let me know. I am loving it so far
Hello. I have several questions, if you don't mind:

How long did it take for you to apply and hear back from admissions regarding their decision to admit you into Bluefield's MABS program?

What were your stats when you were accepted?

How did you like the program? Pros and cons?

Were you accepted to any other programs and if so, why did you choose Bluefield's program?

Do you think it helped to give you a good foundation before starting medical school?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They sent an email saying that admissions decisions will be released by the end of January.

Hello. I have several questions, if you don't mind:

How long did it take for you to apply and hear back from admissions regarding their decision to admit you into Bluefield's MABS program?

Were you accepted to any other programs and if so, why did you choose Bluefield's program?

Do you think it helped to give you a good foundation before starting medical school?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

App Complete 1/14
Committee Review 2/6
Acceptance 2/18

3.1 science gpa
3.3 overall
501 MCAT
and a lot of extracurriculars!

I love the program! I think it it is extremely rigorous but the classes are super helpful and really prepare you for the do school. The classes are even taught but the same professors from the med school and the information for block one is pretty much the same. You have so much opportunity to grow as a person here especially to prepare you for med school. Theres several seminars to help you study and find great techniques.

Some cons would be the everyday 8AM start, having to dress business casual everyday, sometimes having 2-3 tests a week especially during finals. You will have 3 tests a week for 3 weeks. They're pretty good about giving you a day off before every exam day but still have a test and a full day of classes till 5PM after that can be a challenge. Just have to make sure you're constantly prepared and not falling behind!

Also this wasn't a problem for me but could have been for others. Make sure to take your MCAT (and it falls within benchmarks) before you go to the program. The stress of doing the program and getting that score is honestly a lot. It will save you a lot of time and tears if you just focus on one.

I was accepted to several other programs in the state of virginia. and chose bluefield because this is the only program that is not only a year, but has an automatic admission into med school (if you meet the benchmarks). Also from hearing from several other testimonies the program is highly doable. I think the fact that you get your masters in a year, your admission, and for me at least it was close to home sealed the deal!

I definitely think so!! I would not have been the same student I was before this program. The way I studied, learned, everything changed. VCOM is known to be one of the more rigorous DO schools and I see it everyday so having an ability to get a head start is amazing. Like i said before, the classes you take during the masters are SUPER similar to the ones over at VCOM during your block one. You will be most likely have the same professors so if you can get through the MABS program you can definitely be ready for medical school.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!!! (classes, anything)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
App Complete 1/14
Committee Review 2/6
Acceptance 2/18

3.1 science gpa
3.3 overall
501 MCAT
and a lot of extracurriculars!

I love the program! I think it it is extremely rigorous but the classes are super helpful and really prepare you for the do school. The classes are even taught but the same professors from the med school and the information for block one is pretty much the same. You have so much opportunity to grow as a person here especially to prepare you for med school. Theres several seminars to help you study and find great techniques.

Some cons would be the everyday 8AM start, having to dress business casual everyday, sometimes having 2-3 tests a week especially during finals. You will have 3 tests a week for 3 weeks. They're pretty good about giving you a day off before every exam day but still have a test and a full day of classes till 5PM after that can be a challenge. Just have to make sure you're constantly prepared and not falling behind!

Also this wasn't a problem for me but could have been for others. Make sure to take your MCAT (and it falls within benchmarks) before you go to the program. The stress of doing the program and getting that score is honestly a lot. It will save you a lot of time and tears if you just focus on one.

I was accepted to several other programs in the state of virginia as well as texas and new york. and chose bluefield because this is the only program that is not only a year, but has an automatic admission into med school (if you meet the benchmarks). Also from hearing from several other testimonies the program is highly doable. I think the fact that you get your masters in a year, your admission, and for me at least it was close to home sealed the deal!

I definitely think so!! I would not have been the same student I was before this program. The way I studied, learned, everything changed. VCOM is known to be one of the more rigorous DO schools and I see it everyday so having an ability to get a head start is amazing. Like i said before, the classes you take during the masters are SUPER similar to the ones over at VCOM during your block one. You will be most likely have the same professors so if you can get through the MABS program you can definitely be ready for medical school.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!!! (classes, anything)
Congrats on your acceptance. If you are accepted from MABS into the DO school do you get to pick what campus u stay at?

Anyone notice that on the MABS website it says the benchmarks are changing for DO acceptance. I hope they won’t make them more difficult?

Congrats on your acceptance. If you are accepted from MABS into the DO school do you get to pick what campus u stay at?

Thank you! So you get to put down a preference ranking the 4 campuses. You only get to stay at the virginia campus if you are a resident of virginia, maryland, Philadelphia and west virginia. The rest of the campuses are shuffled amongst the rest of the acceptees based on rankings. You can always appeal to stay at the virginia campus but not many get accepted though still possible! They say you need to have a valid reason, such as kids or family or a spouse with a job here.

I'm assuming too many people are getting direct acceptances and that's why they're making it more difficult next year? Have you heard anything about this? How many people were accepted during the December review out of your starting class?

I don't blame them for changing it. The MCAT requirements are pretty ridiculous right now. I mean, a guaranteed acceptance with a 492?

I have no idea! the only differences i've seen is that the MCAT has gotten harder. Needing a 496 for a 3.6. I'm not sure yet, I only know of a handful from my friend groups as well as people who have posted about it. They'll probably tell us or we will find out when we start classes again in January.

I've seen people with higher GPAs apply to this program, why is that? Last year's forum had people with 3.5+ I'd assume they could just retake the MCAT and go DO from there. Why risk it with an SMP?

I've seen people with higher GPAs apply to this program, why is that? Last year's forum had people with 3.5+ I'd assume they could just retake the MCAT and go DO from there. Why risk it with an SMP?
Honestly, it seems like a better option to have a guarantee of admission rather than spend a lot of time applying to several schools and waiting for a response.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, it seems like a better option to have a guarantee of admission rather than spend a lot of time applying to several schools and waiting for a response.

Makes no sense when you're risking to bomb an SMP, when you could just get a 502+ and apply DO directly.

I'm also a current MABS student who met fall benchmarks and was assigned to Auburn. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Would you mo
I'm also a current MABS student who met fall benchmarks and was assigned to Auburn. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Would you mind PMing me I have some questions about the program.

Were you assigned there because your permanent address isn't close tot the Virginia campus?

Were you assigned there because your permanent address isn't close tot the Virginia campus?

My permanent address isn't close to any of the schools so I kind of had the ability to choose any campus. When it comes time to apply, you rank the campuses from most favored to least favored and from there they try to place you based on your priorities. You can petition to remain at the Virginia campus if you are not from the Virginia and surrounding areas.

Personally, I chose Auburn as my top choice school, so that is why I was placed there.

I know this is late, but personally for me, even with a decent enough MCAT score (502+), I agree with what Raindropcake mentioned about risk-benefit. Additionally, I go to a predominantly engineering school where upper level science courses and biology majors aren’t prioritized by the school and/or some faculty. From my experience, professors prioritize their research and a select few students rather than catering to the whole class, even if the class is small. I feel like an SMP would give me a better understanding of some of these classes like gross anatomy, biochemistry, and neuroscience courses. Also almost everyone who goes straight to med school upon graduating from my school, have a very difficult time their first two blocks, compared to their classmates.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is late, but personally for me, even with a decent enough MCAT score (502+), I agree with what Raindropcake mentioned about risk-benefit. Additionally, I go to a predominantly engineering school where upper level science courses and biology majors aren’t prioritized by the school and/or some faculty. From my experience, professors prioritize their research and a select few students rather than catering to the whole class, even if the class is small. I feel like an SMP would give me a better understanding of some of these classes like gross anatomy, biochemistry, and neuroscience courses. Also almost everyone who goes straight to med school upon graduating from my school, have a very difficult time their first two blocks, compared to their classmates.

Understandable man. I mean I'm not telling them don't do it. Just wanted to know why. Your reason is sound so that can be the case for others as well.

So... Does anyone think decisions for end of January starts this weeko_O???

So... Does anyone think decisions for end of January starts this weeko_O???
I hope so! My friend in the program says the MCAT scores increased this year by 2 for each benchmark. So maybe once that's finalized on the website then they'll send out acceptance emails.

Reactions: 3 users
Are they waiting to send out acceptances on Jan 31st at midnight lol What is taking soooooo long???

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if they sent denials already? or is the January deadline for all decisions :unsure:

I haven’t even submitted yet, I’m still waiting for my letter of rec and the transcript to be put in. I hope I’m not too late

Lol everyone is so active here this evening all of a sudden

I haven’t even submitted yet, I’m still waiting for my letter of rec and the transcript to be put in. I hope I’m not too late

I'm a current student in the program and I didn't even submit my app last year until I think a week before the deadline for submitting which I believe was either end of February or mid March and I got accepted end of May. My roommate was accepted one week before classes started. You should be fine for timing. Good luck!

I'm a current student in the program and I didn't even submit my app last year until I think a week before the deadline for submitting which I believe was either end of February or mid March and I got accepted end of May. My roommate was accepted one week before classes started. You should be fine for timing. Good luck!
Thank you so much. I was freaking out. The app says the deadline is april 15. I wanna submit next week. This made me feel so much better. I just found out about the program that’s why I am late. Granted you and your roommates stats were probably really good.

Are they waiting to send out acceptances on Jan 31st at midnight lol What is taking soooooo long???
Lol that's the thing too - they're website says the revisions "should" be complete by end of January, and they "anticipate" decisions rolling out by end of January. They may have strategically chose those words to cover themselves just in case it takes even longer lol...

Has anyone gotten their final review email yet? I was complete 12/9 and have not heard a peep since.

Lol that's the thing too - they're website says the revisions "should" be complete by end of January, and they "anticipate" decisions rolling out by end of January. They may have strategically chose those words to cover themselves just in case it takes even longer lol...

What was your MCAT score if you don't mind me asking?