VCOM New Post-bac???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an acceptance exactly 4 weeks after I mailed in my app! :D Is there anyone that is currently in the program or has been in the past that can tell me some information on it? I literally know NOTHING about the program or location and any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats. Congrats on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to the post bac program!!! Can't wait to meet everyone in July!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can current students please talk about their experience with the program?

Thanks.

Woo hoo! I was just accepted as well! See all of you accepted folks in July!

For those of you recently accepted into VCOMs post-bacc, could you please list your stats? I really would like to go there, but I don't know how competitive I am.

For those of you recently accepted into VCOMs post-bacc, could you please list your stats? I really would like to go there, but I don't know how competitive I am.

I don't particularly enjoy sharing my stats, but I guess that's why we are all going to the program in the first place :)
2.8, 2.9 GPA. 28 MCAT. Dropped off my $100 deposit on Tuesday, it seems like a nice place.

Has anyone had any luck with funding beyond private loans? My wife and I have been looking pretty hard, but we haven't found a thing.

Can current students please talk about their experience with the program?

Thanks.

The post-bac was an awesome experience. The professors are AMAZING & bend over backwards to help you master the material. The tests are super fair. You will definitely have to work during this program, but it isn't anything that isn't manageable. As far as I know we all got into one of the VCOM campuses, with the exception of one student decided to go to a DO school in CA b/c he's from the W coast (he was offered admission to VCOM though).
I'm sure that if you were accepted to the program, you have what it takes to do well. **Super important to get the 3.5 GPA both semesters (but esp in the 1st semester) & a 24 on the MCAT. This will give you early admission (i.e. you won't have to wait until march/april to find out if you are accepted or not). The only sucky part of the post bac is that the loans are not federally funded, so you have to go private.
P.S. Oh & you get the opportunity to go on a medical missions trip (abroad to Dominican Republic or Honduras or local here in the Appalachian). This is a super awesome experience! Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck, guys!!! :)

The post-bac was an awesome experience. The professors are AMAZING & bend over backwards to help you master the material. The tests are super fair. You will definitely have to work during this program, but it isn't anything that isn't manageable. As far as I know we all got into one of the VCOM campuses, with the exception of one student decided to go to a DO school in CA b/c he's from the W coast (he was offered admission to VCOM though).
I'm sure that if you were accepted to the program, you have what it takes to do well. **Super important to get the 3.5 GPA both semesters (but esp in the 1st semester) & a 24 on the MCAT. This will give you early admission (i.e. you won't have to wait until march/april to find out if you are accepted or not). The only sucky part of the post bac is that the loans are not federally funded, so you have to go private.
P.S. Oh & you get the opportunity to go on a medical missions trip (abroad to Dominican Republic or Honduras or local here in the Appalachian). This is a super awesome experience! Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck, guys!!! :)

Wow, thank you so much for for posting your experiences. If you have time, I have one more question.
I applied last year to VCOM and was, of course, turned down based on my GPA. I am about to submit my AACOMAS application again since I would really like to start fall 2012. Did you submit another AACOMAS application or did you do some sort of internal application to VCOM. I guess my question is, should I put VCOM on my list when I submit my primary this cycle? I would hate for them to turn me down again without realizing I am in their Post-Bac since my GPA is the same:scared: Thank you again for enlightening us!

Any one else going to be there this fall?

Wow, thank you so much for for posting your experiences. If you have time, I have one more question.
I applied last year to VCOM and was, of course, turned down based on my GPA. I am about to submit my AACOMAS application again since I would really like to start fall 2012. Did you submit another AACOMAS application or did you do some sort of internal application to VCOM. I guess my question is, should I put VCOM on my list when I submit my primary this cycle? I would hate for them to turn me down again without realizing I am in their Post-Bac since my GPA is the same:scared: Thank you again for enlightening us!

Any one else going to be there this fall?

I was in the same situation as you are. You don't have to submit your application, as far as I know, right now. Double check with Jean in the post bac office. VCOM advised all of us to submit our applications in Nov when were in the program. This way, you can include information on your app about VCOM classes, the medical mission trip you will go on in the fall, & any positions you hold during the program (PreSOMA rep, class rep, honor code rep, etc.) These application will be used for the 2012 cycle, so don't think that you will miss out on a year or anything. The way acceptances work is that you apply in the fall & if you meet all of the requirements, you get an early acceptance in Dec. If you miss any of the requirements (i.e. the MCAT), they will give you another chance in the spring. I HIGHLY encourage you to shoot for Dec, however. This will save you a ton of stress, as the campuses fill up quickly & you don't want to be left waiting & wondering. You will submit an AACOMAS & a secondary, but VCOM waives the 2ndary app fee (which I think is like 60 or 80 dollars)- and you will be put in a separate consideration pile because you are post bac. They should give you specific instructions for post bacs. Understand that VCOM has invited you into their post bac because they believe you have what it takes to excell in their medical program. They want to accept you! You must, however, prove that you can handle the course load & contribute to a happy, healthy environment at their school. I sincerely hope that this helps. Sorry I wrote an entire novel. I think I'll be on the student panel during your orientation, so I hope to meet you in person then! Until then, let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck to you!

I was in the same situation as you are. You don't have to submit your application, as far as I know, right now. Double check with Jean in the post bac office. . . . Good luck to you!

Please, no apology necessary. Your explanation answered all of my questions. I know you are busy finishing up your semester, thank you so very much for taking the time to help us out. Best of luck with your finals if you have any left!

Does anyone have that VCOM postbac website that I am suppose to be checking daily.

The site says "The Program at VCOM is a non-degree granting, certificate program offered to attract individuals from rural areas, low-socioeconomic status backgrounds, and underrepresented minorities". My question is, can you apply if you don't fit into these categories?

Members don't see this ad :)
The site says "The Program at VCOM is a non-degree granting, certificate program offered to attract individuals from rural areas, low-socioeconomic status backgrounds, and underrepresented minorities". My question is, can you apply if you don't fit into these categories?

Absolutely!

what areas should I be looking at to live in? Something close to school, biking distance? Also, any safety issues to be concerned about? lastly, I am flying down there once how many days should I give myself to find a place?

Also, should I be signing up for an MCAT date right now? and any guys need a roomate, I am super clean

what areas should I be looking at to live in? Something close to school, biking distance? Also, any safety issues to be concerned about? lastly, I am flying down there once how many days should I give myself to find a place?

No safety issues. This area doesn't really have a "ghetto". Sure there are some slummy places b/c of the college students, but in general most of the apt complexes are good. Try Smith's Landing or Knollwood apts in Blacksburg, or pretty much anywhere in Christiansburg. Check out the VCOM c'o 2015 facebook. There are a few people that are looking for roommates. In fact, I think Chris Hapner from last year's postbac is looking for a roommate (you can get in touch with him via his info on that page. You should start looking IMMEDIATELY. Places go very fast in Blacksburg b/c Virginia Tech is there. Good luck.

No safety issues. This area doesn't really have a "ghetto". Sure there are some slummy places b/c of the college students, but in general most of the apt complexes are good. Try Smith's Landing or Knollwood apts in Blacksburg, or pretty much anywhere in Christiansburg. Check out the VCOM c'o 2015 facebook. There are a few people that are looking for roommates. In fact, I think Chris Hapner from last year's postbac is looking for a roommate (you can get in touch with him via his info on that page. You should start looking IMMEDIATELY. Places go very fast in Blacksburg b/c Virginia Tech is there. Good luck.

When did you apply to the post-bac? I have a 3.17 now (rising senior), and taking the MCAT in August or Sept. I should have a 3.33 upon graduation. Do you think my chances look good? :)

Hey all,

I am looking to apply to the program this year (2012-2013), does anyone know if they take most recent MCAT scores? Or do they look at any previous ones? I am retaking the MCAT in Jan. (2nd time). Didnt do so well the first time:( Anyone else applying this year?

Hey all,

I am looking to apply to the program this year (2012-2013), does anyone know if they take most recent MCAT scores? Or do they look at any previous ones? I am retaking the MCAT in Jan. (2nd time). Didnt do so well the first time:( Anyone else applying this year?

Yea I am in the same boat as you. I didnt do as well on the mcat as I wanted to but when I called the admissions department at VCOM they told me they wont even use the MCAT score as a basis for your entrance into the program so I may just study from now until the summer and retake it with the program itself. I graduated with a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. You thing my numbers are good enough for the program??

Yea I am in the same boat as you. I didnt do as well on the mcat as I wanted to but when I called the admissions department at VCOM they told me they wont even use the MCAT score as a basis for your entrance into the program so I may just study from now until the summer and retake it with the program itself. I graduated with a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. You thing my numbers are good enough for the program??

I think you have a great chance in getting into the program! My stats arent as great 2.95cgpa and 2.7sgpa (lost both my mom and dad to health related issues, really tough time), but I am currently pursuing my Masters in Publich Health and I have a 3.97, so I am hoping they will look past the numbers. :) And with this new information, I may just do the same, study for a while and then take it later! When are you applying?! I am very excited, I hear the program is amazing!

Last edited:
I think you have a great chance in getting into the program! My stats arent as great 2.9cgpa and 2.7sgpa (lost both my mom and dad to health related issues, really tough time), but I am currently pursuing my Masters in Publich Health and I have a 3.97, so I am hoping they will look past the numbers. :) And with this new information, I may just do the same, study for a while and then take it later! When are you applying?! I am very excited, I hear the program is amazing!

Umm Ill be sending in my stuff next week or so. I just have to do those two half page essays and ill be all set. Where else are you applying to??

Umm Ill be sending in my stuff next week or so. I just have to do those two half page essays and ill be all set. Where else are you applying to??

Lol haaa I definitely have to get on those essays as well...I am also applying to LECOM, PCOM, and EVMS (since I am currently a student in their MPH program), so (now that I think about it) I dont have a choice but to take the January MCAT! Where are you applying to? I just wish VCOMs post bacc was federally funded, however, I really like VCOM and its affiliation with VT..

Is VCOM only geared towards those interested in osteopathic medicine? Or does it include MD as well? Does anyone know VCOM's affiliation with the new VT medical school?

Is VCOM only geared towards those interested in osteopathic medicine? Or does it include MD as well? Does anyone know VCOM's affiliation with the new VT medical school?

Hey VCOM's post bacc prepares students for MD or DO! I am not sure of their exact affiliation, but as far as sports medicine goes, they have close ties! Are you looking to apply??

Hey anyone started the application yet? Anyone thinking to apply? I plan to turn mine in within the next few days!

Nice! Do you mind if I ask of your stats? Also, when writing your essays, did you leave them to a half of page? I find myself wanting to write more!
My stats are not that good...so I really do not want to give them....my essay I believe was about a page long (I'm having a hard time remembering due to all the applications I have sent out and I applied to this program about 2 months ago)

I wanted to know if anyone else has applied for next year. I have a 3.5 cGPA and a 25 and wanted to know what my chances were?

Is this program only for people in Virginia? I'm from IL so I'm not sure if I have a shot

I wanted to know if anyone else has applied for next year. I have a 3.5 cGPA and a 25 and wanted to know what my chances were?

Hey, I applied to the program. Have you applied or plan to? I think you have a good chance with getting into the program. Actually, have you tried applying during the regular application cycle? Seems like you would be competitive.What does your science gpa look like? You should definitely look into this!

Last edited:
Is this program only for people in Virginia? I'm from IL so I'm not sure if I have a shot

I don't think it is only for Virginia residents. Have you tried giving the admissions office a call? I don't think it'll hurt to apply!

I have applied to this program and they started reviewing applications last week.

I thought they didn't start reviewing apps until mid-February? The earlier the better though, as far as I'm concerned. I completed my application in early November and am super anxious to hear back.

I thought they didn't start reviewing apps until mid-February? The earlier the better though, as far as I'm concerned. I completed my application in early November and am super anxious to hear back.

I guess thats what they put forth on the website, however, I spoke with Ms. Hewitt and she said the process has already begun. Like you, I am very excited and looking forward to some good news...

Hey all, I applied and was complete in early January. Ms Hewitt said it would take at least 4-6 weeks for the admissions committee to make a decision! Haven't heard anything since, but Im excited!

Yes she told me the same thing...I applied a few months ago..keeping my fingers crossed

Congrats!!! Are you planning to attend?! Were you notified by mail or email? When were you complete??? Sorry for all the questions!

Not really sure if I am attending yet still waiting to hear from some DO schools I am waitlisted at. I have been complete for about a month and I was notified by email

Congrats everyone! I got my acceptance yesterday as well; looking forward to meeting everyone in July!