VCOM New Post-bac???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything yet this week? Whenever I call admissions, they tell me 1-2 more weeks... I'm starting to go crazy waiting :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to the upcoming Post Bacc program!!! I applied and I hope I will be joining you all. Hope I hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance too! I'm very glad, but now very torn! I wish someone would make my decision for me. I've been accepter here and at the DCOM post bacc too.

Do any students just finishing up the program have any insight? what did you like/not like about it. Any advice on some things to do for the incoming post bacc students?

Hey just found out today I am on Waitlist, maybe because I applied later but am not certain.

Does anybody know if it means the application has not been reviewed at all or that they have reviewed and need to check what happens with others first? I am mainly worried they never took a look at it.

Last edited:
Hey just found out today I am on Waitlist, maybe because I applied later but am not certain.

Does anybody know if it means the application has not been reviewed at all or that they have reviewed and need to check what happens with others first? I am mainly worried they never took a look at it.

I got this today as well. I'm pretty sure they made their selections, and seats should open up since not everyone accepted will accept!

I got this today as well. I'm pretty sure they made their selections, and seats should open up since not everyone accepted will accept!
I was thinking the same thing, and the email looks automated obviously. But did you get the impression that your application had not even been reviewed and will not be until they find out more from the accepters?

What I am getting at is that if we were reviewed and waitlisted that is good in my opinion, however if we were not even reviewed yet that does not really tell us much?

What are your thoughts or is this just me being paranoid lol? I am too old to make another run at this, if I don't get in its going to have to be the old Caribbean route unfortunately haha

I was thinking the same thing, and the email looks automated obviously. But did you get the impression that your application had not even been reviewed and will not be until they find out more from the accepters?

What I am getting at is that if we were reviewed and waitlisted that is good in my opinion, however if we were not even reviewed yet that does not really tell us much?

What are your thoughts or is this just me being paranoid lol? I am too old to make another run at this, if I don't get in its going to have to be the old Caribbean route unfortunately haha

Nope I'm sure it got reviewed, it would be pointless for them NOT to review it since they need to know who to accept and waitlist since they want the best class possible. They don't have much time since it's June now almost, so they need to have reviewed it all by now otherwise they will lose out on potential candidates.

If we weren't reviewed, we wouldn't have gotten an email yet saying we were..lol. You can call them and ask what you can do to improve, i did that for other programs I was waitlisted at and they told me specifically what I could do to improve, showing they reviewed my app lol.

Don't be paranoid! Don't stress! It'll work out!

Hi, I sent in my acceptance decline a few days ago. Good luck to whoever is on the waitlist!

Did you get into a med school or decide somewhere else?

Do any students just finishing up the program have any insight? what did you like/not like about it. Any advice on some things to do for the incoming post bacc students?

i'm a vcom c/o 2015 and former post bac and the best advice I can give you is enjoy all the free time post bac allows you, you'll miss it dearly if/when you move across the street. It's not an impossible program (I wouldn't even say it's a hard post bac, it provides you with the opportunity to prove you can handle the material of a regular med student) just keep your head down and get the gpa and MCAT score they require for the auto admission. The biggest pitfall to vcom's post bac is that you should be pretty sure vcom is where you want to go (or at least would be happy to be a med student at), because due to timing of MCAT and first semester grade release you really can't apply anywhere else. Out of our class of 29 students only one went to another med school that wasn't vcom. all the rest either got accepted at vcom or vcom-carolinas, or didn't get in at all.

i'm a vcom c/o 2015 and former post bac and the best advice I can give you is enjoy all the free time post bac allows you, you'll miss it dearly if/when you move across the street. It's not an impossible program (I wouldn't even say it's a hard post bac, it provides you with the opportunity to prove you can handle the material of a regular med student) just keep your head down and get the gpa and MCAT score they require for the auto admission. The biggest pitfall to vcom's post bac is that you should be pretty sure vcom is where you want to go (or at least would be happy to be a med student at), because due to timing of MCAT and first semester grade release you really can't apply anywhere else. Out of our class of 29 students only one went to another med school that wasn't vcom. all the rest either got accepted at vcom or vcom-carolinas, or didn't get in at all.
Hi-
Are all the students in the VCOM program all pursuing DO school? Are there any MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

I was accepted to VCOM-VA Campus back in April. I was wondering if any Post-Bacc grads could give me any idea of what I should expect. i.e. course load, professors, overall environment, etc.

Thanks in advance!! :)

The program has given GPA requirements for application to the program. My question is: do admissions use an osteopathic approach to calculating a student's GPA for the post bacc program (grade replacement/no math within science GPA) or a general GPA calculation similar to an MD school (average of retaken classes/math within science GPA)? Thanks!

Hello! VCOM student here. I'm moving out of Blacksburg and selling my full-sized mattress, bookcase, and armoire. Let me know if you are interested in any of these.

The mattress is less than a year old, originally bought for $400, but I'll sell it to you for $200.

Armoire: $100

Bookcase/TV stand: $20

PM me for pictures.

Last edited:
Hey guys...just curious as to what some accepted student's GPAs were for the program. Also, when did most of you apply (what would be considered late application to the program)? Thanks!

Has anybody been accepted for 2013-14 term post bac (vcom) ?

I applied around mid -Feb but haven't gotten a response. I am a little worried, now..

I applied late February and haven't heard anything yet. Talking to the admissions office, my package was expected to be reviewed last week and notification usually takes 3-4 weeks after that, so I'll try to be patient for a few more weeks.

I am a current VCOM post bacc, I applied late February and didn't get my acceptance until early May. Hope that helps!

Thanks you guys for responses.

@dnc004: How do you like VCOM post-bac so far? (pros and cons?)
Did you finish taking MCAT before entered the program?

They told me they need my spring semester grades in order to make an admission decision.
Is that a bad sign or good sign... I don't know.
My grades for this semester are pretty good.. but what if the seats are filled by the end of this semester..

Hey guys, I got accepted to the post bacc today via email, well actually a conditional acceptance pending spring grades. I think I will most likely turn it down for DCOMs post bacc or definetley for the regular med school (accepted to post bacc and waitlisted at med school). This seems like a great program but I don't have the 24 MCAT and I really don't want to take it over and honestly don't have the time to now without paying deposits everywhere and losing a lot of money either way. I think my app was complete sometime in late January early February good luck to everyone waiting to get in

Hey Guys,

First off, congrats to everyone who has been accepted to the program so far!! I am a current post-bacc student who is going to Campbell's new school next year. So far this program has proven to be a really good spring board into medical school. Some pros of the program is that our classes are taught by the medical school faculty, so you are receiving the med students powerpoints/lectures for all the classes. Being affiliated with V-tech is also another big plus because we have access to all buildings/events at V-tech which is really nice for when the VCOM library closes at 12am and you need to go to the 24hr V-tech library to pull an all nighter for the Biochem test in the AM. This program is a great stepping stone as it gives you most all the courses taught to the med students the first 4 blocks but at a more manageable pace which really allows you to learn the material so you will do very well your first year in med school. Now on to the cons. The administration is great but I feel there is a disconnect in communication this year between the admissions office and post-bacc program. We have ~56 students in our program and so far only 15 have been officially accepted into a med school. This is not due entirely to poor performance in the program as many individuals who have not been accepted are doing well. Due to the increased number of highly qualified applicants to schools this cycle I feel the post-bacc class has been placed on the back burner for acceptance into the program. I would advise anyone attending next year to make sure you can reach the "magic" numbers for the GPA in the program and the MCAT score to gain automatic admission before December. Honestly everyone who pulled a 4.0 there first semester was accepted in December whether they had the MCAT or not. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me!!

I will be attending a program that will be providing the same computer I purchased from VCOM for the post-bacc program so I am also trying to sell the computer I used for this program. I purchased the suggested DELL through VCOM so it will continue to have the warranty with VCOM. I had some extras added on from the base model to beef up the processing speed and memory. It has really been a great computer but I have no need for two of the same computer next year. The good thing about purchasing the suggested computer is that VCOM will supply you with a temporary computer if anything ever goes wrong with yours until they have it fixed where they will not do this with any other computer. I paid ~$1600 for the computer with all the upgrades but will sell for much lower than the current DELL offered by VCOM. If you are interested feel free to contact me.

...The administration is great but I feel there is a disconnect in communication this year between the admissions office and post-bacc program. We have ~56 students in our program and so far only 15 have been officially accepted into a med school. This is not due entirely to poor performance in the program as many individuals who have not been accepted are doing well. Due to the increased number of highly qualified applicants to schools this cycle I feel the post-bacc class has been placed on the back burner for acceptance into the program. ....

As a current student in this program, I just want to reiterate the above. That disconnect between the post-bacc staff (Hill, et al) and VCOM admissions staff is of particular concern to me (among other things I keep learning about this program finally being here).

To all future applicants to this program: do your research and contact the staff directly. Maybe even corroborate their responses with Admissions staff directly. And know that the " four-year average acceptance rate to medical school" stat provided on the post bacc website is misleading (the program is only 4 years old, and the year to year rate has actually decreased significantly since the program started). With increasingly competitive applicants to VCOM with every cycle it seems, post-bacc students may very well be put on the back burner. And I wonder what this means for the integrity of the program in the long-term.

did anyone applied/acepted to the 2014-2015 postbacc program?

Reactions: 1 user
I applied somewhere mid-February and am yet to hear anything from them. Did anyone else apply?

are you planning on taking the MCAT during VCOM, or do you already have a score?

are you planning on taking the MCAT during VCOM, or do you already have a score?
I am actually taking the MCAT August 2nd so I can get that off the way and concentrate on the classes. I feel doing this program is a best bet than entering the application cycle full of uncertainties

Last edited:

I applied to the Post-Baccalaureate program at VCOM with my MCAT score from last summer. Although, its to my understanding that you do not need a MCAT score in order to gain admission into the program. I would recommend what @Paul Darlington has suggested. The MCAT is a beast. It needs your full undivided attention and efforts. I would recommend studying/taking it while your are free from classes or work obligations.

Anyhoo....I completed my application about a week or 2 ago. I e-mailed the admissions about the status and haven't heard back. Not sure what the timetable is for when I could possibly hear back about the review of my app. Good luck to all others applying!

I applied to the Post-Baccalaureate program at VCOM with my MCAT score from last summer. Although, its to my understanding that you do not need a MCAT score in order to gain admission into the program. I would recommend what @Paul Darlington has suggested. The MCAT is a beast. It needs your full undivided attention and efforts. I would recommend studying/taking it while your are free from classes or work obligations.

Anyhoo....I completed my application about a week or 2 ago. I e-mailed the admissions about the status and haven't heard back. Not sure what the timetable is for when I could possibly hear back about the review of my app. Good luck to all others applying!
Great advice, I am currently studying for the MCAT , and planning on taking it before classes start