VCOM New Post-bac???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does anyone who attends the do program after the post bac not have a lor from a DO but got in?I really want to go here but that is the only thing I do not have.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a 100% sure, however, when you look at the letters of recommendation (LOR) section in the application process for VCOM's Post Baccalaureate it states that a student can submit a LOR from a DO or MD. In addition, I remember from one of my visits to VCOM, I spoke with a member of the Post Baccalaureate administration and learned that IF a student fulfills the 3.6 gpa and 24 MCAT requirement after completing the program there are no interviews for VCOM if you are offered a spot. If they are not requiring interviews I doubt that a LOR is going to be required either but that is just my conjecture.

Good luck and hope the latter helped!

Has anyone else been accepted to VCOM’s Post Baccalaureate for this application cycle? I know that application reviews began as early as January but I applied in October 2011 and a friend of mine in September? When I called VCOM to check up on my application, I was told the admissions committee is reviewing my application and I will be notified as soon as there is more information. All I can think of is that my application must have not been as competitive as I thought because other people seem to have already been accepted but applied 3 to 4 months after me. My cumulative science gpa is a 3.62 with a MCAT of 22N. Anyone else still waiting or have insightful comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance letter by email Friday....super excited and can't wait to meet everyone in July...now I need to find some private loans and an apartment...any suggestions for apartments or someone who needs a roommate?

I also got my acceptance last Friday! As a reference, I applied mid-November. Very excited to start and very excited to meet everyone! I called the financial office today to ask about private loans. Eloise said it's much too early now and to wait until we receive information via our VCOM e-mail.

Last edited:
Congratulations to both of you!!! I am glad and anxious at the same time as I am still waiting, however I can help you guys with some questions that you may have about Blacksburg. While I do not live there, I live in Roanoke which is about 25 minutes away and have spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg due to friends attending Radford University and Virginia Tech. As far as housing goes, I would start immediately looking for apartments or houses for rent because Blacksburg is a very busy college town. I cannot stress the latter, because Virginia Tech and Radford University alone have almost 40,000 students attending. I did not include other colleges near Blacksburg like the New River Community College as well. Needless to say, I don't want to create panic or scare anyone, however start looking for housing now because the program starts in July. Also, keep in mind that both Radford University and Virginia Tech both have a reputation for being party schools, at least in my circle of friends. I have personally attended a few parties myself over the years and the one at Virginia Tech was at an apartment complex. With that said, it is very fun and a very nice place to meet new people if you are extroverted and social and what not but I presume most of you will want a place that is very peaceful and quiet. I would choose wisely! While this was not in Blacksburg, I would not want any of you experiencing what my friend went through recently. He ended up sharing a house with two other people and lived in the basement of the house (my friend is your typical nerd who will spend most of his weekends studying). His roommates ended up partying almost every weekend and had random people over to the point where my friend would sometimes spend the night at my house in order to study in peace and quiet. Furthermore, I have a friend who attended the same undergraduate program with me and is currently finishing up the VCOM post baccalaureate program. I keep in touch with her and have talked with her over various topics like financial aid and her experience thus far with the program. From her experience, VCOM is a very nice school with friendly teachers and administrators who are willing to help! She stated that the first semester was hard for her because she did not know what to expect, however she still performed exceptionally and is doing extremely well this semester. I got the impression that the two most challenging classes of the first semester for her were Biochemistry and Neuroscience, however I don't think the remaining classes were cakewalk either. Lastly, my impressions from her experience is that VCOM is a great school and that this program will require a lot of studying for the most part. However, the latter will vary with each individual and is dependent on many different factors. I hope that my input has helped some of you and let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I will try to help any fellow student out to the best of my ability!
Once again, Congratulations and hope to see all of you soon!

Gosh I just want to know if I got accepted...Its driving me up the wall

I am going through the same thing, I keep checking my email a million times per day. Well, I hope that I can provide you some anxiety relief in the form of a backup plan. Provided you don't mind the area and depending on where you are willing to relocate to, VCU in Richmond also has a Post baccalaureate program. I believe the deadline is in June or July? While I really want to attend VCOM (badly) I always have backup plans in case that it does not work out. VCU's program costs about the same and has similar requirements I plan to apply by the end of this week. Hope this helps somewhat or provides some comfort! Anyone else care to chime in?

I also got my acceptance last Friday! As a reference, I applied mid-November. Very excited to start and very excited to meet everyone! I called the financial office today to ask about private loans. Eloise said it's much too early now and to wait until we receive information via our VCOM e-mail.
Yes, she told me the same thing...she said they should start sending out that information in the next few weeks. I also spoke to Alisa and she said that once you are accepted and have decided this is the program for you that you should send them the deposit in so you can hold your spot. I also think once you send in the deposit you are able to create an email account with them and get more info.

Congratulations to both of you!!! I am glad and anxious at the same time as I am still waiting, however I can help you guys with some questions that you may have about Blacksburg. While I do not live there, I live in Roanoke which is about 25 minutes away and have spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg due to friends attending Radford University and Virginia Tech. As far as housing goes, I would start immediately looking for apartments or houses for rent because Blacksburg is a very busy college town. I cannot stress the latter, because Virginia Tech and Radford University alone have almost 40,000 students attending. I did not include other colleges near Blacksburg like the New River Community College as well. Needless to say, I don't want to create panic or scare anyone, however start looking for housing now because the program starts in July. Also, keep in mind that both Radford University and Virginia Tech both have a reputation for being party schools, at least in my circle of friends. I have personally attended a few parties myself over the years and the one at Virginia Tech was at an apartment complex. With that said, it is very fun and a very nice place to meet new people if you are extroverted and social and what not but I presume most of you will want a place that is very peaceful and quiet. I would choose wisely! While this was not in Blacksburg, I would not want any of you experiencing what my friend went through recently. He ended up sharing a house with two other people and lived in the basement of the house (my friend is your typical nerd who will spend most of his weekends studying). His roommates ended up partying almost every weekend and had random people over to the point where my friend would sometimes spend the night at my house in order to study in peace and quiet. Furthermore, I have a friend who attended the same undergraduate program with me and is currently finishing up the VCOM post baccalaureate program. I keep in touch with her and have talked with her over various topics like financial aid and her experience thus far with the program. From her experience, VCOM is a very nice school with friendly teachers and administrators who are willing to help! She stated that the first semester was hard for her because she did not know what to expect, however she still performed exceptionally and is doing extremely well this semester. I got the impression that the two most challenging classes of the first semester for her were Biochemistry and Neuroscience, however I don't think the remaining classes were cakewalk either. Lastly, my impressions from her experience is that VCOM is a great school and that this program will require a lot of studying for the most part. However, the latter will vary with each individual and is dependent on many different factors. I hope that my input has helped some of you and let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I will try to help any fellow student out to the best of my ability!
Once again, Congratulations and hope to see all of you soon!
Thanks for all the info.

You are welcome! Glad I could be of some service! Has anyone heard anything new yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied a month ago, I called today and they said it would be another 4 weeks based on the current volume of applicants.

I am getting really tired of waiting, my stats are very competitive not to mention that I am underrepresented in medicine. It should not take this long to hear back from a Post-bacc program, period. Since my last post I have applied to VCU's post-bacc and to Ross University SOM and St. Georges SOM. I bet that I will find out sooner from the aforementioned than from VCOM....

Not to mention that a close friend of mine applied in September of 2011 and has yet to hear anything?!?!

...Are you thinking about going to the Carribeans for medical school?

I mailed off my application today! Now the waiting begins.:)

Basically, my sister is a allopathic physician which was invited to a event made for her by her residents and I was invited. After meeting a bunch of cool people I was shocked that one of the top residents actually went to St. George's and told me all about his experience. I always thought that the caribbean medical schools were a joke. As it turns out, Ross and St. George's are both recognized by the US Department of Education and their medical students from the US and Canada have a 95% pass rate for the USMLE step 1. The aforementioned schools are legit and I am in the process of finishing up applying to both schools, don't get me wrong I want to get into the post-bacc program at VCOM but I am not waiting an eternity for them to get back to me. This way I have plenty of back-up plans because one can waste many a different things but time is precious!

Do you mind sharing some stats? where you are from? GPA/MCAT? When you applied? Congratulations!

Hey! I applied the end of January. Undegrad gpa 2.95, sgpa 2.75, with a grad gpa of 3.9. I took the MCAT previously, did not do so well, however, I am retaking before the start of the program. Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
I received my acceptance email on Friday and couldn't be more ecstatic! Is there a thread for students accepted to the program for next year? I think it would be good to get to know some people a little before it starts in July.

I submitted my application at the beginning of February and the past two months have had me on edge! I literally called the office every week to check on my status, and I was so relieved when I got the email saying I had been accepted!

I received my acceptance email on Friday and couldn't be more ecstatic! Is there a thread for students accepted to the program for next year? I think it would be good to get to know some people a little before it starts in July.

I submitted my application at the beginning of February and the past two months have had me on edge! I literally called the office every week to check on my status, and I was so relieved when I got the email saying I had been accepted!

I've been looking for a thread as well but haven't found one yet either. I applied mid January and found out Friday as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I sent a request on the facebook page. I think it's a great way to get to know fellow classmates and stay in touch!

How do you search for the group on facebook to send a request?

Anybody else hoping for some good news tomorrow?

+pissed+

holy cow! I have been trying to be so patient too! They say in early March that I should hear in 2-3 weeks....and now it's mid April!!! Here's hoping that my name is at least in the stack of students they're looking over tomorrow!

VCOM is my number one!!

I know I've been waiting since march too hopefully we hear soon.
My stats are 3.5gpa 3.1 sgpa and I'm taking the mcat next week. Also I am from a rural town in Michigan so I'm not from the Appalachian area

Do they alert you via email whether your application is complete?

no, I just had to call admissions and ask

Has anyone heard anything? Weren't they supposed to be meeting yesterday?

Seems like they usually send stuff on Fridays, maybe this afternoon? What did you hear about a meeting?

BTW does anyone know what the class size is supposed to be this year?

Good luck to everyone this year with the VCOM post bac! I have moved on. Take care!