VCU Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 30N (11PS/09VR/10BS)
cGPA 3.8, BCPM GPA 3.85
Asian (ORM haha)
instate

Extracurricular (trying to be as anonymous as possible)
~400 clinical volunteer
- research since freshmen year (poster and oral presentations)
- medical trips
- TA
- PBK

Maybe Early Decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you in state or out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the information I have your cGPA exceeds VCU's median by .1. Your sGPA exceeds the median by ~.25. Your MCAT score on the other hand is about just on bar. All in all you stand a good chance of getting in. If your MCAT score like was 35 you'd almost be assured to get in.

------
EDIT
------

I didn't see the N. You should consider retaking the MCAT to improve it. The "N" is bellow the 10th percentile score. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
According to the information I have your cGPA exceeds VCU's median by .1. Your sGPA exceeds the median by ~.25. Your MCAT score on the other hand is about just on bar. All in all you stand a good chance of getting in. If your MCAT score like was 35 you'd almost be assured to get in.

yeah, I wish it were a 35! but my major concern is that my MCAT score is just there and i'm an ORM. I don't know what I should do to improve my application, other than maybe applying early?

VCU has taken like one in-state and one OOS EDP per my MSAR for a class of 192. Since your stats aren't clearly above the medians for acceptees, your odds of success are less, and not getting accepted EDP would delay your consideration by other schools until October, putting you at a disadvantage.

Any shadowing?

Last edited:
VCU has taken like one in-state and one OOS EDP per my MSAR. Since your stats aren't clearly above the medians for acceptees, not getting accepted EDP would delay your consideration by other schools until October, putting you at a disadvantage.

Any shadowing?

no shadowing, but i've spent significant time doing EMS work (~400 hr)

thank you very much for the responses...i don't have the msar book so didn't know they accepted so few through EDP.

thank you very much for the responses...i don't have the msar book so didn't know they accepted so few through EDP.

Since you are instate and have competitive stats, etc., I would not do EDP. Apply early to all VA schools - you should get interviews at VTC, VCU, and EVMS, and both VCU and EVMS start handing out acceptances on Oct 15 anyway. And you may get an interview at UVA, too, and the earlier you interview there, the better your chances of acceptance.

------
EDIT
------

I didn't see the N. You should consider retaking the MCAT to improve it. The "N" is bellow the 10th percentile score. Sorry about that.

Nah - the "N" will not hurt him - I had an "O" and was accepted instate at UVA, VCU, and EVMS.

Only retake the MCAT if you are confident that you can score at least 3+ points better based on: 1) all of your practice scores, and 2) a concrete reason for a poor performance on the first MCAT, such as you were sick, or your dog died, etc.

IMO, you have a good, but not foolproof, chance of getting in. You won't be one of the first acceptances unless you are personally very interesting, but there's no need to be applying EDP. Make it obvious that you want to go there in your secondary essay. Apply to EVMS, VCU and a few lower-tier privates.