This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tearfultyrant1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was thinking about applying for MD schools for the 2018 cycle (as this cycle is too late) but wasn't sure if a post bacc would be right for me for this upcoming year or more clinical work/retaking MCAT.

In terms of statistics:

• MCAT: 129 125 125 130 (509)
  • Overall GPA 3.5 science GPA 3.36 (although there is a strong upward trend, around 3.0 freshman year overall and 3.5+ the following 3 years)
  • ARS calculator: 59, which was 1 point less than the minimum for the lowest tier medical schools.
  • My LizzyM score was 65, which suggests that I have a 48% chance of getting into medical school.
I've already taken 1 gap year and have loads of longitudinal clinical and volunteering and have done research (no publications) and some leadership. Let me know if you want more details on my ECs. I'm not sure if my gpa/125 sections will screen me out of MD schools.

I'm also unsure as to how much my chances increase by doing a post bacc program. I'm still waiting to hear back VCU and UPenn's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was thinking about applying for MD schools for the 2018 cycle (as this cycle is too late) but wasn't sure if a post bacc would be right for me for this upcoming year or more clinical work/retaking MCAT.

In terms of statistics:

• MCAT: 129 125 125 130 (509)
  • Overall GPA 3.5 science GPA 3.36 (although there is a strong upward trend, around 3.0 freshman year overall and 3.5+ the following 3 years)
  • ARS calculator: 59, which was 1 point less than the minimum for the lowest tier medical schools.
  • My LizzyM score was 65, which suggests that I have a 48% chance of getting into medical school.
I've already taken 1 gap year and have loads of longitudinal clinical and volunteering and have done research (no publications) and some leadership. Let me know if you want more details on my ECs. I'm not sure if my gpa/125 sections will screen me out of MD schools.

I'm also unsure as to how much my chances increase by doing a post bacc program. I'm still waiting to hear back VCU and UPenn's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No, you need to apply and have a practical school list

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't do the post bacc would you say a retake of my mcat is warranted?
Nope. I suggest these schools:

U VM
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
SLU
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
EVMS
Oakland-B
Uniform
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
Your state school(s).

Nope. I suggest these schools:
Thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at your list (lots of overlap with schools I was looking at). At what GPA or MCAT would you say I should have retaken/ done a post bacc?

U VM
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
SLU
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
EVMS
Oakland-B
Uniform
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons