This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripleOT

Reaction score
Hello everyone! After combing through many of the other threads in search of information about this year's VCU application cycle (and coming up empty handed) I decided to start one myself! Has anyone heard back yet? According to the admissions timeline on the website, regular decision notifications should be happening any time from now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I've also been searching for anything regarding VCU's OTD 2019 cycle, so thank you for starting this thread! I received an email a week ago that my application has been moved to the "likely accepted" pool and that "I may hear from them over the next few weeks". I applied last year and did not get in, and did not find out until something like April 12th when I called the program director to ask. VCU's cycle is certainly a waiting game! From what I recall, the class last year mostly filled in March, with one or two spots left open until first week of April (likely due to other accepted applicants ultimately choosing other schools over VCU), but it seemed as though most people received their acceptance letter end of January/early Feb.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I've also been searching for anything regarding VCU's OTD 2019 cycle, so thank you for starting this thread! I received an email a week ago that my application has been moved to the "likely accepted" pool and that "I may hear from them over the next few weeks". I applied last year and did not get in, and did not find out until something like April 12th when I called the program director to ask. VCU's cycle is certainly a waiting game! From what I recall, the class last year mostly filled in March, with one or two spots left open until first week of April (likely due to other accepted applicants ultimately choosing other schools over VCU), but it seemed as though most people received their acceptance letter end of January/early Feb.

Hi Everyone!! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have been looking everywhere for other thoughts/opinions/statuses on VCU's OTD 2019 Cycle! VCU is my #1 choice for OT school and I would be absolutely ecstatic if I were admitted into the program. About a week ago, I also received an email saying that my application had been moved to the "likely acceptance" pool. From what I have researched, it seems promising. However, I am still nervous as to what exactly this means. Sk4854, from your experience with applying to the program, have you ever heard of other people receiving these emails? As for others, does anyone have any idea what a "likely acceptance" email means? Is it promising or just another step in the process? Any input would be great! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you both submit your applications? I'm a little nervous now because I haven't received any sort of communication from them (not even a generic email to say that they had received my application like other schools did).

OT6404- It's a nerve-wracking process! I did not receive any kind of notifications/emails after I submitted my application last cycle, aside from that my application had been moved for "review" a few weeks after submitting it; which basically just means that that you aren't immediately disqualified based on GPA, GRE scores, pre-reqs, etc. I don't recall anyone else in the forums I was reading post anything about getting a "likely accepted" email. I would strongly assume that receiving a "likely accepted" email is promising, but who knows honestly. I'm thrilled to have received the email as VCU is my #1 choice as well (I live in Richmond and graduated from VCU undergrad) and the only school I applied for for the second time in a row. I considered calling the VCU OTD program director to ask for more detail of what the email meant, but figured I probably wouldn't find the answer I was looking for and am just going to roll with it. I think we will hear back by mid-February at this rate! Just have to stay positive. :)

tripleOT- I submitted my application in November, but so long as you submitted your application by the deadline of December 1st on OTCAS, I don't think it matters as they begin to review them all at the same time. Does it say that your application was verified and submitted on OTCAS? Give the program director a call (Ms. Smith) and she can double check that they have everything they need from you. You can also email Dr. Kane at [email protected]. The application process is certainly intense!

What other schools did you guys apply to, if any?

Thank you for the information sk4854! My application was submitted and verified on OTCAS and I still have my receipts for the supplemental application and GRE scores so I am hopeful that there will not be an issue there. I'll still give them a call anyway though. I applied to schools all over the country because there are no graduate programs in my home state. I applied to VCU, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Midwestern (both AZ and IL), Thomas Jefferson, Texas Women's, Ohio State, Shenandoah, Rush, Chatham and Brenau. VCU is definitely my #1 choice because I completed my undergrad in RVA as well!

Hello! I decided to make an account for this site just so I can provide some helpful info (hopefully!) I received an email notifying me that I've been accepted on Jan 15, and for context I submitted my application on November 11 and was verified shortly after. The email said I should be getting an official letter in the mail soon. From what I understand, once you receive an official letter you have 2 weeks to put down a deposit, and that way they will be filling up the class slowly over the next several months. This means there is definitely still plenty of time for people to get in, as they're not releasing all acceptances at once and obviously not everyone will end up accepting. My spot will most likely be open because I'm out of state and can't afford the program. I have an interview at my dream (in-state) school next week and am waiting to hear back from another in-state school, and to hear about any potential financial aid info from VCU, so hopefully I'll be left with enough time to make a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I decided to make an account for this site just so I can provide some helpful info (hopefully!) I received an email notifying me that I've been accepted on Jan 15, and for context I submitted my application on November 11 and was verified shortly after. The email said I should be getting an official letter in the mail soon. From what I understand, once you receive an official letter you have 2 weeks to put down a deposit, and that way they will be filling up the class slowly over the next several months. This means there is definitely still plenty of time for people to get in, as they're not releasing all acceptances at once and obviously not everyone will end up accepting. My spot will most likely be open because I'm out of state and can't afford the program. I have an interview at my dream (in-state) school next week and am waiting to hear back from another in-state school, and to hear about any potential financial aid info from VCU, so hopefully I'll be left with enough time to make a decision.
Thanks for posting! Did you receive any other kind of correspondence from VCU before receiving your letter of acceptance? Congratulations on being accepted, by the way! :) That's awesome. I hope you get into your dream school, too!
My fear is that the "likely accepted" email could mean that I will be waitlisted. Other than OT6404, I don't know anyone else who received such an email. Super confusing!

Thank you for the information sk4854! My application was submitted and verified on OTCAS and I still have my receipts for the supplemental application and GRE scores so I am hopeful that there will not be an issue there. I'll still give them a call anyway though. I applied to schools all over the country because there are no graduate programs in my home state. I applied to VCU, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Midwestern (both AZ and IL), Thomas Jefferson, Texas Women's, Ohio State, Shenandoah, Rush, Chatham and Brenau. VCU is definitely my #1 choice because I completed my undergrad in RVA as well!
Might be good to give them a call just to say your name and that you're checking in with the application process and making sure you have provided sufficient information; if anything, it will show them you're really interested haha! That's really awesome you applied to so many programs. I've heard great things about many of those schools. You will most definitely get in somewhere!

Thanks for posting! Did you receive any other kind of correspondence from VCU before receiving your letter of acceptance? Congratulations on being accepted, by the way! :) That's awesome. I hope you get into your dream school, too!
My fear is that the "likely accepted" email could mean that I will be waitlisted. Other than OT6404, I don't know anyone else who received such an email. Super confusing!
Thank you so much! Even though I will probably not go there just from a logistical standpoint I do really like the program and I love Richmond. I first got a letter from them a few days after submitting that said that my prerequisites have been approved and my application moved to the pool of applications to be reviewed. On Jan 4 I got an email saying that my application has been "assigned for review" and also that "applications will be reviewed December through March, with acceptances being offered February through April." The acceptance email was actually a "provisional acceptance" that's contingent on me completing the prerequisite course I'm currently taking. Honestly maybe you should call/email them? When I visited, the admissions rep was extremely nice and responsive (I believe it was Audrey Kane). Good luck with everything!

OTnc2019- Congratulations on your acceptance, that is amazing!! :) Out of curiosity, did you apply early decision to VCU? A girl I know applied early decision and got into VCU around the same time you received your acceptance, so I was curious if you did the same thing!

OTnc2019- Congratulations on your acceptance, that is amazing!! :) Out of curiosity, did you apply early decision to VCU? A girl I know applied early decision and got into VCU around the same time you received your acceptance, so I was curious if you did the same thing!
Thank you!! I didn't apply early admissions, though I did freak out for a second and thought that maybe I did accidentally when I heard back from them so early. Hopefully more people will be getting their acceptances soon! I'm just nervous I won't have enough time to decide before I hear back from other schools.

Thank you!! I didn't apply early admissions, though I did freak out for a second and thought that maybe I did accidentally when I heard back from them so early. Hopefully more people will be getting their acceptances soon! I'm just nervous I won't have enough time to decide before I hear back from other schools.

Oh wow, that's awesome! I definitely hope they send out acceptances soon. I am kind of in the same boat, but I am waiting to hear back from VCU since they are my #1 choice. Don't worry though, everything will work out for the best!! Thank you for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be good to give them a call just to say your name and that you're checking in with the application process and making sure you have provided sufficient information; if anything, it will show them you're really interested haha! That's really awesome you applied to so many programs. I've heard great things about many of those schools. You will most definitely get in somewhere!
Thank you for the advice! That is exactly what I did! They said that all of my application materials are in, so that is good news. It sounds like we have all had varying levels of correspondence from the program so I won't read into anything too much for the sake of my sanity haha.

Thank you for the advice! That is exactly what I did! They said that all of my application materials are in, so that is good news. It sounds like we have all had varying levels of correspondence from the program so I won't read into anything too much for the sake of my sanity haha.
That's great news and I'm sure a load off your shoulders. It's SO easy to work yourself up during this process.. I can say from experience it doesn't get any better the second time around haha! Just have to stay positive and be confident in yourself. :) I really hope it works out for you!

That's great news and I'm sure a load off your shoulders. It's SO easy to work yourself up during this process.. I can say from experience it doesn't get any better the second time around haha! Just have to stay positive and be confident in yourself. :) I really hope it works out for you!
For sure! It feels worse than applying to college the first time lol. It appears that calling may have worked in my favor because I received an email this morning that I have been assigned to a reviewer! I hope everything works out for you too :)

That's fantastic! So glad you made the call! :)

Hey all, just saw this thread and thought I'd pipe in. I got my email from VCU on Tuesday with full acceptance. I did apply early decision as I submitted my application 1 NOV. I heard on 4 Jan that I was being submitted for final review but hadn't heard about a 'likely acceptance'. As a VA resident, this is my top choice but I too am anxious to confirm. I was denied at Shenandoah and MGH but still pending a bunch more application responses.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm from out of state and applied to VCU's program because I had family go there and they loved it. I got an acceptance email today and I was wondering if any of yall could give me insight into how living in Richmond for someone in their early 20's is? I've driven through before but never been! Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone! I'm from out of state and applied to VCU's program because I had family go there and they loved it. I got an acceptance email today and I was wondering if any of yall could give me insight into how living in Richmond for someone in their early 20's is? I've driven through before but never been! Thanks in advance.
Living in Richmond is great in your early 20's! There are plenty of things to do in the city as well as the surrounding area. I am pretty confident that there is something in Richmond for everyone. There are great bars and clubs if you are into that. The James River is a great place to cool off in the summer, and there are all sorts of festivals that take place when it is warm too. Richmond is also a very "foodie" centric city. There are so many fantastic restaurants that you could legitimately go broke from eating out haha. Its a very enjoyable place to live for young people in general!

Hey all, just saw this thread and thought I'd pipe in. I got my email from VCU on Tuesday with full acceptance. I did apply early decision as I submitted my application 1 NOV. I heard on 4 Jan that I was being submitted for final review but hadn't heard about a 'likely acceptance'. As a VA resident, this is my top choice but I too am anxious to confirm. I was denied at Shenandoah and MGH but still pending a bunch more application responses.
Congrats on your acceptance! That's awesome!

Congratulations! Richmond is amazing, I love it. I've lived here for almost 4 years (transferred to VCU undergrad in 2015) and I have never been bored. Like tripleOT said, there is so much to do, infinite places to eat, tons of eclectic festivals and events, breweries/bars, and a huge shopping mall about 25 min away in Shortpump. The James River is so much fun to go hang out at, too- there are giant rocks you can walk out on and sit on. Plus, everyone brings their dogs :) Only downside of Richmond is the parking, but I think that's most cities. As far as safety, like any city there are some sketchy parts but overall I would say it's safe. Richmond is the perfect place for 20-somethings in my opinion!

I also received a likely to be accepted email on January 14th, they then accepted me on January 31st! From what I heard, the committee has been busy and didn't reconvene until the 31st but will be slowly sending out acceptances afterwards.

Hey everyone!!! Im so glad that there's a thread for the VCU OTD because it can be really nerve wracking waiting to hear back.

I found out on January 31st that I was accepted into VCU's OTD Class of 2022 and it is the school that I will be attending!! I am really excited since it was my number one choice. Similar to others, I received an email saying that my application was moved to the "likely acceptance" pool of applicants (I think sometime in the 2nd week of January). I was really confused as to what this meant but from my experience it is a really good thing so don't be discouraged!

I also received a likely to be accepted email on January 14th, they then accepted me on January 31st! From what I heard, the committee has been busy and didn't reconvene until the 31st but will be slowly sending out acceptances afterwards.

That is exactly what happened to me and I will be attending! I got an email around January 14th and found out about my acceptance on January 31st.

I received an acceptance email on January 31st and will be attending as well!

Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I was wondering if there was anyone who had received a "likely acceptance" email on January 14th and is still waiting to hear back from the program. I received the "likely acceptance" email, but have not heard anything since. I am starting to get worried...

Hi everyone! I received my acceptance January 31st and will be attending, too! Woo! If anyone else hears anything, post here! :)

I will be attending VCU's otd orientation for accepted students in March!

Does anyone know when the deposit deadline is?1 Do we have to put a deposit down in order to attend the open house for accepted students? I'm still waiting to hear back from my #1 choice school but I also really like VCU's program but am not sure when the deposit is due by! I should be hearing from the other school sometime between mid-late February.

Does anyone know when the deposit deadline is?1 Do we have to put a deposit down in order to attend the open house for accepted students? I'm still waiting to hear back from my #1 choice school but I also really like VCU's program but am not sure when the deposit is due by! I should be hearing from the other school sometime between mid-late February.
The deposit for VCU is due 2 weeks from when you receive your acceptance email and that is to hold your place in the class, otherwise my understanding is that they will assume you are deferring their offer. You also have to email them with a decision of whether you will be attending or not within that 2 weeks! You can also call Lawrencine Smith, the program director, if you have any other questions/concerns at (804) 828-2219. Hope this helps! :)

i hear that this cycle is the first time VCU will do interviews for OT and that is MMI...any insights on what questions to expect and how to prepare?