VCU School of Dentistry Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't come on here as much as I used to, so no promises with regard to promptness, but I am a VCU dental student so if you have any questions just let me know!

I don't come on here as much as I used to, so no promises with regard to promptness, but I am a VCU dental student so if you have any questions just let me know!
Hi! Do you know if you get supplemental essays after you submit the secondary application fee?
My AADSAS is already completed and I started getting secondary application fees, so I was wondering if after that, I will get portal information/essay questions?

Thank you! (asking for a friend)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am happy to have just added VCU to my list of schools I'm applying to!

The main interview tracker page says that VCU has given out interviews as of 8/9. Has anyone received one?

The main interview tracker page says that VCU has given out interviews as of 8/9. Has anyone received one?
I'm not familiar with this "interview tracker page." Would you mind expanding on this? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with this "interview tracker page." Would you mind expanding on this? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Received an interview invite yesterday!

Can I ask for stats if you don't mind? &/or date of submission
Interview #2
Notification date:
8/11
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/5
Application complete date: 6/16
Interview Date: 9/16
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.76; overall: 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27 AA, 25 TS, 26 RCT, 22 PAT, No
Method of interview: In Person

Last edited:
Interview #2
School:
Virginia Commonwealth University
URM/ORM? Caucasian
Notification date: 08/23/22
Residency: NC
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/14/22
Application complete date: 07/15/22
GPA (science, overall): 3.79, 3.80
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/26/21/24/No
Dates available OR your interview date: October 7th
Method of interview: In-person

EDIT: changed date of interview

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Current D1 at VCU if you have any questions about the application process or the school feel free to ask!

Hi everyone,

Current D1 at VCU if you have any questions about the application process or the school feel free to ask!
Sure, I'll ask a question. This is more a curiosity more than anything else.

The other interviews I've been offered so far seem to be pretty brief -- 8 a - 1 p, for example. I feel like I've heard VCU used to do a two day interview, but now it's one day from 8 a - 4 p. What do you think those "extra hours" (compared to other programs) consist of? Longer interviews, more tours, more time spent with students, etc?

How was the interview day?
The interview day is great. The school does a really good job at making it a low-stress environment and shows you a little bit of everything while you are on campus. The seminars are mainly centered around the curriculum and history of the school, and all of it is very neat and gives you a strong idea of what the school's mission is. The tours and lunch seminars are very cool and interesting because it is, for the most part, student-ran and it gives you a chance to meet your future peers and ask them questions. That is what stuck out to me most about the program. Be sure to make as many connections with the students and your fellow interviewees as possible and always seek to make a good impression because you never know who is watching!

Sure, I'll ask a question. This is more a curiosity more than anything else.

The other interviews I've been offered so far seem to be pretty brief -- 8 a - 1 p, for example. I feel like I've heard VCU used to do a two day interview, but now it's one day from 8 a - 4 p. What do you think those "extra hours" (compared to other programs) consist of? Longer interviews, more tours, more time spent with students, etc?
It could be for a number of reasons. I was very appreciative and impressed by how thorough the student-led tours were because it allowed students to see the clinics they will be working in during their D3-D4 years. I do not think that would have been possible without having a lengthened interview day. Also, the entire day felt very relaxed because there was not a time crunch to squeeze all of the activities in. This took of stress from the students, as well, and allowed us to enjoy every aspect of the day, whether it be the seminars, lunch with a student panel, or student-led activities. I am not saying that these are reasons why VCU's interview day is longer than other programs. However, I do feel that the activities and experiences above benefitted from it. I hope that answers your question.

The interview day is great. The school does a really good job at making it a low-stress environment and shows you a little bit of everything while you are on campus. The seminars are mainly centered around the curriculum and history of the school, and all of it is very neat and gives you a strong idea of what the school's mission is. The tours and lunch seminars are very cool and interesting because it is, for the most part, student-ran and it gives you a chance to meet your future peers and ask them questions. That is what stuck out to me most about the program. Be sure to make as many connections with the students and your fellow interviewees as possible and always seek to make a good impression because you never know who is watching!
Thanks for sharing your experience. What are some of the kinds of questions you remember them asking you? Was there any question that stuck out in particular?

I got app complete email aug 17 and haven’t been sent a supplemental since then. I’m getting really nervous

You get the supplemental upon invitation to interview. Although, I also didn't get one even after being invited for interview. I had to email and ask for it.
I just got an interview invite, no supplemental attached. Should I call them too? You called and they emailed it to you??

I just got an interview invite, no supplemental attached. Should I call them too? You called and they emailed it to you??
I actually received my invite August 23rd, but I needed to reschedule to the later interview date (now, the 7th of October). I realized recently I had never been sent the supplemental, which was an independent email from the initial invite. I emailed and they sent it to me.

I actually received my invite August 23rd, but I needed to reschedule to the later interview date (now, the 7th of October). I realized recently I had never been sent the supplemental, which was an independent email from the initial invite. I emailed and they sent it to me.
Could you pls let me know what email you emailed?? Thanks

I'm scheduled for a tour this upcoming Friday at VCU. Does anyone know if business attire is recommended? A little more casual than a suit? Any help is appreciated.

I'm scheduled for a tour this upcoming Friday at VCU. Does anyone know if business attire is recommended? A little more casual than a suit? Any help is appreciated.
I dont think you would normally wear a suit to a tour. Just something that looks nice and you can walk around in.

Can you schedule a tour without being invited for interview?
I was not invited for an interview, however I got an email back in the beginning of August about the school giving in-person tours for specific dates (all Fridays) in September and October.

Interview #5
School:
Virginia Commonwealth University
URM/ORM? ORM
Notification date: 10/17
Residency: VA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/1
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/11
Method of interview: In-person

School: VCU
Notification date: 10/17/2022
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/13/2022
GPA (overall, science): 3.76, 3.57
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/20/22, none
Date: 11/11
Method of Interview: In-person

Notification date: 10/17/2022
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/13/2022
GPA (overall, science): 3.76, 3.57
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/20/22, none
Date: 11/11
Method of Interview: In-person

Congrats! Good luck and I’ll see you there :)

Interview #4:
Notification date: 10/18
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/15
Application complete date: 8/1
GPA (science, overall): 3.40, 3.49
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/19/24/no
Interview Date: 11/11
Method of interview: In-Person

Hi! Do you know if you get supplemental essays after you submit the secondary application fee?
My AADSAS is already completed and I started getting secondary application fees, so I was wondering if after that, I will get portal information/essay questions?

Thank you! (asking for a friend)
Hello, I got a secondary application with my interview invite. The secondary application does not have any essays, just basic questions, it took me all of ten minutes.

Interview #2:
Notification date: 10/17
Residency: OOS
Application complete date: 8/25
GPA (science, overall): 3.48, 3.54
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/26/22/26/no
Interview Date: 11/11

If anybody else is Interviewing on November 11th, let's connect!

Interview #2
Notification date: 10/6
Interview Date: 11/4
Residency: Out-of-State
Application complete date: 7/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.18, 3.24
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/18/21/24/No
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/4

Did any of you receive an application complete email? I received an email that my application fee was received and another that they were missing my DAT score (in August), but never received an email about my application being complete or my DAT score being received.

Did any of you receive an application complete email? I received an email that my application fee was received and another that they were missing my DAT score (in August), but never received an email about my application being complete or my DAT score being received.
Yeah I got the "application received" email on 9/13 then "application complete" email on 9/21.

Interview #2
Notification date: 10/6
Interview Date: 11/4
Residency: Out-of-State
Application complete date: 7/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.18, 3.24
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/18/21/24/No
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/4
what was your interview experience like?

what was your interview experience like?
Very relaxed, it wasn't an interview that I felt like I was being grilled on uncomfortable information. It was a great conversation and the day overall was super fun.