VCU update for March

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a good one....I just got a voluntary layoff package at work that would allow me to quit on July 31'st and give me 6 months of full pay after that.

I have until May 27'th to decide.

I'm praying I get off the wait lost before that time (well i'm praying I get off at all) - it would be so perfect...beer on me if it happens!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you, some friends of mine are also on the waitlist, are you out of state? If so, I hear the list moves quite well

I just turned down my VCU acceptance for my state school (UF). So a spot just opened. Good luck to all :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
bluemuffin said:
I just turned down my VCU acceptance for my state school (UF). So a spot just opened. Good luck to all :luck:

I noticed that you were recently contemplating between UF and VCU. I'm sure you made the right decision and will enjoy your time at UF. Thanks for letting us know and :luck:

Just reporting a bit of in-state waitlist movement ... I got the acceptance email tonight. Not sure whether to choose VCU or the other (out of state, *expensive*) school I'm in at ... or what the timeline for all this is, since I just now got the email and May 15 is (don't we all know?) Sunday ... but for what it's worth ...

chocolate-e said:
Just reporting a bit of in-state waitlist movement ... I got the acceptance email tonight. Not sure whether to choose VCU or the other (out of state, *expensive*) school I'm in at ... or what the timeline for all this is, since I just now got the email and May 15 is (don't we all know?) Sunday ... but for what it's worth ...

thats freakinnnnn awesome congrats...Instate waitlist right here too but didn't get any email yet :)

Oh my!! I just got that wonderful status change! I'm in! I'm going!

I hope to see you all in August! BEST graduation gift ever!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! its so nice to hear that people are finally getting in.. hopefully i'll be celebrating soon too :)

Csv321 said:

Csv,

congrats buddy...VCU finally came through for you, thats awesome..I know you were waiting on them for a while, It must be such a good feeling getting in, after waiting up those nights before the acceptance batches...I hope I'll be your classmate next year. I'm going nuts sittin on six damn waitlists!

Congrats again and enjoy the summer.

Thanks Lubdubb!

It still feels so unreal! I cannot believe that I'm going to be starting medical school in 3 months!!!! It's so funny because my friend is a first year at VCU and has been talking to Dr. H about me and just told me yesterday that I've been moving up the list and they just might get to me in June if not sooner! I didn't think it would be this soon! It's so awesome!

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive! It's only May so I'm sure there'll be good news for everyone! It'll happen when you least expect it...

awesoooome! congrats, hope to see you in the fall!

Csv321 said:
Thanks Lubdubb!

It still feels so unreal! I cannot believe that I'm going to be starting medical school in 3 months!!!! It's so funny because my friend is a first year at VCU and has been talking to Dr. H about me and just told me yesterday that I've been moving up the list and they just might get to me in June if not sooner! I didn't think it would be this soon! It's so awesome!

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive! It's only May so I'm sure there'll be good news for everyone! It'll happen when you least expect it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Csv321 said:

That's awesome, Csv...congrats to you! I know you (and like many of us too) were praying VCU would come thru. Hey, maybe now that you're in, you can pull some strings for the rest of us ;) j/k Congrats again, and hopefully see you in the fall...

Hey guys, do you think a lot of people have been hearing from VCU lately (I know a few have), or will there be a major batch that goes out in about a week or two?

I know that at least one offer went out last nite for the out of state list, but I doubt they only send out one at a time so I would guess a batch went out yesterday a few.

Hey everyone! Hope you're keeping your sanity! I know this may be a bit off topic but I was hoping for some advice from future VCU students.

As you all know, I was accepted off the waitlist last week. Very ecstatic! But I never thought I would be more miserable and depressed. My boyfriend of almost a year has offered to moved with me. In fact, he left me no choice. I initially wanted to get an apartment close by campus anyways so I don't have to rush looking for a car. My parents are dead set against the idea of him moving with me (coming from a very traditional Asian background, I can see their point because a girl living with a boy is VERY bad in other people's eyes). However, I feel that having him there would help a lot and take off a lot of stress. My sister who has always supported me told me I'm being dumb and has withdrawn her support. She thinks I should live with my family in Richmond. After living at home for 22 years and doing everything I was told (including staying home for college) I was absolutely looking forward to this opportunity to be independent, to not live with family.

So I guess my dilemma is: Do I say screw them, prove them wrong and go with what I feel is best for me? Or do I just cave as I always have and just listen to them and try to get over the misery while in medical school? I remember having to stay at home for college, giving up going to UC Berkeley to go to my local state school (which worked out great) but I was miserable my first semester, resented everyone, and perfomed semi-horrible academically. Should I learn from that? Keep in mind that if I do move on my own, I most likely will have to lie to my parents, which sucks because in the back of their minds, they know I'm lying but if I tell them the truth, they will still get angry.

Sorry if this is way off topic but I just needed some advice from people who've been following this thread and who may be my future classmates. :(

it would be nice if they at least told us when batches were sent out so we dont sit here guessing all day... good luck everyone

Csv321 said:
Hey everyone! Hope you're keeping your sanity! I know this may be a bit off topic but I was hoping for some advice from future VCU students.

As you all know, I was accepted off the waitlist last week. Very ecstatic! But I never thought I would be more miserable and depressed. My boyfriend of almost a year has offered to moved with me. In fact, he left me no choice. I initially wanted to get an apartment close by campus anyways so I don't have to rush looking for a car. My parents are dead set against the idea of him moving with me (coming from a very traditional Asian background, I can see their point because a girl living with a boy is VERY bad in other people's eyes). However, I feel that having him there would help a lot and take off a lot of stress. My sister who has always supported me told me I'm being dumb and has withdrawn her support. She thinks I should live with my family in Richmond. After living at home for 22 years and doing everything I was told (including staying home for college) I was absolutely looking forward to this opportunity to be independent, to not live with family.

So I guess my dilemma is: Do I say screw them, prove them wrong and go with what I feel is best for me? Or do I just cave as I always have and just listen to them and try to get over the misery while in medical school? I remember having to stay at home for college, giving up going to UC Berkeley to go to my local state school (which worked out great) but I was miserable my first semester, resented everyone, and perfomed semi-horrible academically. Should I learn from that? Keep in mind that if I do move on my own, I most likely will have to lie to my parents, which sucks because in the back of their minds, they know I'm lying but if I tell them the truth, they will still get angry.

Sorry if this is way off topic but I just needed some advice from people who've been following this thread and who may be my future classmates. :(

I know where exactly you're coming from. I'd say step up for yourself and do what you think is right. If you let this trend go, they'll keep stepping on you. Next thing, you know they will plan the day you should have your baby, how it should be raised, what you should call it and even where to send it to school. My point of view is that you have 18 years to raise your kid the way you want, after that its their life, its their options. You can't live their lives for them. But of course you should be polite about it (not that it'll matter to them). You should tell them the truth..they'll get over it sometime or another.

I gotta agree with MZafaran

Haven't most notifications occurred around 8 or 9 pm EST all year? I wonder if that is true, and if so, if it will continue. Do they hope to get all their waitlist acceptances and stuff finalized in a couple of weeks, or will most of the action occur after a couple of weeks? Anybody know about this from friends or former threads? I am besdie myself here :confused:

Csv321 said:

I am confused, what family do you have in Richmond? I think you should also consider that moving in with a SO is going to take a lot of effort from both you and your boyfriend. It would definitely be nice to have the support of your boyfriend when you start school, but I don't know if it is the best idea to move in with him AND start medical school. And after a year of dating are you ready to move in with someone, if so great and I say go for no matter what your parents (they will still love you either way).

Dont know if this helps at all.

See you in August. :)

camisho said:
Haven't most notifications occurred around 8 or 9 pm EST all year? I wonder if that is true, and if so, if it will continue. Do they hope to get all their waitlist acceptances and stuff finalized in a couple of weeks, or will most of the action occur after a couple of weeks? Anybody know about this from friends or former threads? I am besdie myself here :confused:

looks like 8PM from most of my emails from the admissions office.

Csv321 said:

What about getting separate apartments near each-other? This protects you in case things don't go as you would hope with your boyfriend (which I'm sure is probably the furthest thing from your mind, but just in case) and finds a middle ground with your family. You would have the independence of living on your own (or with a classmate maybe) and would still have your boyfriend close by. We can't always predict how relationships will change when we have major changes in our lives - moving to a new city, starting med school. You may even find that a little bit of space is positive - allowing you and your boyfriend to maintain your independence, while still being close enough to enjoy one another's company and support one another. It may not be quite as exciting, but it might be a good way to keep yourself and everyone else happy in the end. It sounds like you are close with your family, so I think it is important to find a middle ground or some kind of understanding with them. They are the ones who will be there for you no matter what happens throughout life. A few years from now, you don't want to look back and wish you hadn't strained that relationship. Whatever you choose to do, I really wouldn't lie to your parents. They may not agree with your decision, but you will at least maintain their trust. After seeing how things go for the first year, you could always decide to move in with your boyfriend at that point. Then, you will have had time to get off to a good start academically, etc. Just an idea... Best of luck next year! I'm sure you will find a decision you will be happy with. :)

amen, i agree with this post. middle way is good, everything is constantly changing... and space (even a little) is great. not to say that anything bad is going to happen to you, but several of my cousin's classmates in dental school have broken off their engagments, distance or no distance. if the space is not to your liking afterall, you can always have slumber parties.

Thanks everyone for responding! It's so great to hear so many sides. My boyfriend and I have considered living in separate apartments but we thought about it realistically and figured we would probably be at each other's place a lot of the time (just like we are now) and it'll save on rent. We've talked about the time committment issue and he understands. His dad is a doctor and he remembers what it was like to have him go through med school and residency. So his plan is to get a job at a biotech company for a year before applying to professional school next year.

I guess I should have mentioned that my family and I have never been close. My sister hauled her stuff out of here when she was 18 and never looked back. Because of that, my dad and her are just starting to rebuild their relationship which is why I thought I would have her support on this one. But she bailed after hearing that my boyfriend is moving with me. I guess I want their approval on what I do because I've tried so hard to prove myself to them for the past 22 years and I don't want the broken relationship my parents and sister had. I have had to work for everything because they offered no support and never once did I complain. I would think that at this point, they would believe that I could think for myself but they are still very traditional Chinese parents.

When I got into VCU, they were disappointed because and told me that I wasn't smart enough to get in UCSD so I could continue to live at home. (very typical Asian)...

I think my plan is to just get my own apartment by campus right now because it'll be a new place and I will want to familiarize myself with Richmond and meet some great new people. As for my boyfriend living with me, we'll keep that open for dicussion.

Thanks again to everyone! Thanks mzafaran...I could totally see that happening in the future.

Hey I'm an out of stater, got accepted last night to VCU, gave Dr. H a hug last night. But I'm still waiting on UNC, so who knows. Good luck to all who are waiting, theres still a whole lot of movement to come.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=3335

is contacting the admissions office a good idea at this juncture?

will it make any sort of difference?

P.S.
As much as your boyfriend situation is on your mind, there are plenty of us here who arent fortunate enough to worry about where we will live in Richmond. Please keep that in mind.

Sup everybody,

Just wanted yall to know that I recently got accepted to VCU (out of stater). The waitlist is moving, just gotta be patient.

As far as your situation Csv, I don't think we can tell you what you "should" do. Your situation seems complex and only you know all the factors involved. But in general, I side with your parents about not moving in with your boyfriend. Regardless of how much time you spend together now, things can change, especially with the onset of med school. So I think moving in with him would be a BAD idea. But I do think you should live independently, and should explain why you want to do so with your parents. Lastly, don't lie to your parents...it's not a good habit and it'll make things worse in the long run.

I'm sure you'll figure out what to do and congratulations on getting accepted! :)

Good luck everybody! :luck: :luck: :luck:

to those of you who just got in..
have you written letters or called the admissions office to let them know you're interested? trying to see whether doing this would be beneficial at this point or not... good luck all

i just got in last night off of the in-state waitlist
i did send a LOI, but who's to say whether or not it actually made the difference?
good luck to those still waiting :luck:

Hi again everyone! I know that I am very fortunate to be in such a situation. Believe me...I was on the same stressbug boat of reapplying and retaking the mcat not too long ago but I do appreciate everyone's opinion and I'll consider everything. Sorry if I came off as snooty or insensitive. Subject is now dropped...Now that that's over with...

I did send in 2 letters of intent/interest to VCU prior to being accepted. One before the last batch of acceptances went out in March and one after being waitlisted, updating them on what I had done and both stating that I would pack up my bags the minute I was accepted. I called the admissions office asking if this would be ok and they said that it couldn't hurt and it would go in my file so that admissions people would see it if they reviewed it again.

As I mentioned before, my friend who's a first year contacted Dr. Heldberg about me and mentioned some things. Dr. Heldberg emailed her and said that her input helped me a lot so I'm not sure how to take that. Maybe it helped me get off the waitlist earlier because Dr. Heldberg had told me that my score was already very strong for an out of stater and I had a very, very good interview.

So that's what I did to get my foot into VCU's door. I don't know if it made a huge difference but it probably made her recognize my name more.

Good luck everyone!

Trident said:
i just got in last night off of the in-state waitlist
i did send a LOI, but who's to say whether or not it actually made the difference?
good luck to those still waiting :luck:

Good to hear the in-state list is actually moving! Congratulations, that is wonderful! I hope to get a little lovin' from that list as well. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

hey csv,

thanks for your story, it certainly gives us all hope! does heldberg usually reply pretty quickly to emails? i just sent her an update and was wondering if she'll actually get it. otherwise i could just call

I'm not sure if this questions can be answered, but does anyone know how large the waitlist is? Maybe we can estimate from waitlists of the past? Thanks everyone.

For everybody on VCU waitlist
I am grad student at VCU, so I have met with Dr. Heldberg and sent her several emails. It s a great idea to write her a letter and express your interest. I know everyone says it's just a linear waitlist, but I'm sure theres a bit of wobble to it. Write an email to Dr. H and ask her how it looks, she will give you a very honest answer.

patel8 said:
hey csv,

thanks for your story, it certainly gives us all hope! does heldberg usually reply pretty quickly to emails? i just sent her an update and was wondering if she'll actually get it. otherwise i could just call

Everytime I wrote a LOI, all I got from her is "Thanks. This will go in your file." So she usually does email you back to acknowledge that she received your email. I don't know if she does the same thing with LOIs that are sent in. And if you politely ask her what your chances are, she might give you an idea. She won't tell you if you'll get in or not but she'll give you the best answer she can and ask you to be patient.

Wahooali said:
Good to hear the in-state list is actually moving! Congratulations, that is wonderful! I hope to get a little lovin' from that list as well. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

thanks Wahooali!
good luck to you
*fingers crossed* :luck:

so dr. heldberg emailed me back and this is what she said...
"you're very close to being accepted. keep your fingers crossed!"
i cant believe she actually told me that, but now i really have my hopes up!!

guys...she told me "your rank from the committee is quite good" and told me to stay patient...anybody have a take on this? I'm out of state, should I hear back sooner or later? Patel8 that's great news!

I am currently waitlisted at MCV, and I have spoken to Dr. Heldberg several times about the waitlist. She indicated to me that she does not give out any information regarding our position on the waitlist, even hints. So, either several of you are lying, or she is lying to me. I find it strange that someone like her would tell me that we are not allowed to know that we "have a good score" or "you are close to getting in" and then there are people on here saying those exact things. Something is wrong with this picture.

well, you're allowed to think what you want, and i know it was surprising to me as well that she told me this. but thats what she said so i dont know! hopefully all of us will be getting good news soon :luck:

go in state wait list goo... checking my e-mail 24-7 ha

focus05 said:
go in state wait list goo... checking my e-mail 24-7 ha

Instate waitlist here too!! Got my email linked to my cell phone...good luck focus and the rest of yous too

good luck everyone!!! i'm checking my email like crazy too! i wish everyone the best

anybody hear anything yesterday? I wonder if they're giving out a few acceptances each day?

Does anyone know Dr. H's email address?

camisho said:
anybody hear anything yesterday? I wonder if they're giving out a few acceptances each day?

Definitely not going to be everyday. I have always been under the assumption that they accumulate offers over varying time periods and send out offers in batches.