VCU vs USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdman15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help would be much appreciated!

USF (SELECT program)
Pros:
  • "Higher rank"
  • Facilities (new SOM building is currently under construction)
  • Research opportunities seemed abundant
  • Warm weather (years 1 and 2)
Cons:
  • Clinical rotations in Pennsylvania for SELECT program (I'm married with two kids, so having to move is less than ideal)
  • Expensive ($80k for all four years)
  • H/HP/P/F during pre-clinical years
VCU
Pros:
  • I absolutely loved Richmond
  • New SOM building
  • I could stay in Richmond for all four years
  • Opportunity to reclassify as in-state for tuition purposes (not sure how feasible this is, but the process exists and it's been done before)
  • P/F (rakning by quartiles)
Cons:
  • Lower rank (again, I'm not sure how much this matters)
  • I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of research opportunities might be available
  • Barring any financial aid/in-state reclassification, tuition/COA would be close to $80k/year also
Summary:
I'm very fortunate to have been accepted to two schools that I love. I'm from the West and I'm hoping to optimize my chances to return for residency. Not having to uproot my family halfway through medical school is very appealing. However, if the training/reputation of USF would make a big difference, I'd happily make the sacrifice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your situation I would pick VCU. The idea of living in rural Pennsylvania is not too appealing, having to uproot your family would not be fun, and I don't think that the difference in "rank" in the two schools is that significant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I would also go with VCU. Just for records, starting next year, VCU is no longer doing internal rankings (Just P/F) :)

Reactions: 1 user