Vent Management primer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely have a knowledge gap here, but figured brushing up here would be useful since we end up with boarding ICU vented patients. Usually I'll set the tidal volume to 400-500cc, RR 15-18, higher PEEP for ARDS/CHFer types, minimal for asthma patients, and let the ICU handle the rest. Has worked well for me so far.

Hoping @sylvanthus and some of the CCM folks can jump in here. What kind of specific vent settings do you guys prefer to use for common situations, such as CHF, ARDS from pneumonia, or say, flail chest from trauma, brain bleed, etc? Pressure support etc..? I understand there's not a huge consensus and some room for debate here...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So the settings I tend to use for regular vent patients goes something like this to start

PEEP 5 (if on BiPAP I'll match the EPAP. No sense on intubating someone and dropping their peep from 8 or 10 down to 5).

Rate 14 (if hyperventilating for acid base issues, I'll match. Don't take the tiring out DKA, paralyze them, and sit them at 14 or 16... start them off in the mid 20s)

FiO2 100%

Volume: 6-8 ml/kg ideal body weight. Wait... but math sucks (Seriously, what is the IBW calculation?) Simple short cut...

If the patient is around 5'10, use 500, 5'5 use 450, 5'0 use 400. This approximation breaks down with 5'0 females, so if the pressures are high I'll knock down their volumes to 350. If you don't believe me, throw the numbers into MD Calc and check. 5'5 and 5'10 should both be in the 6-8ml/kg range.

Get ABG, adjust as need be. If FiO2 is staying near 100, then bump the PEEP up. I'll pretty much always bump the PEEP to 10 on patients with an FiO2 of 100.

ARDS: High peep, low FIO2 as possible. I'll actually open up MDCalc for an IBW calculator. One thing you can use titrate volume settings is the driving pressure. This is pPlat - PEEP (think the pressure required to actually inflate the lungs). Less that 15 is ideal, but I target less than 20 if it's high and I need to drop volumes below 6 ml/KG IBW.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't invest too much time into vent settings because they will get changed in the ICU and are often driven by the ABG. Kind of depends on why you are tubing. And sometimes the RT's who set the vents know some good stuff and I rely on them too.

I feel pretty comfortably twiddling the vent knobs to maximize ventilation (RR or TV) or oxygenation (O2 and PEEP).

I can usually improve the ABG by the time the patient goes to the ICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
What everyone said above except that we used to keep one of these taped to the side of all of the vents when I was a resident.

Also, the idea of trusting the RT is nice, but highly facility dependent. I can think of one RT in particular at my hospital whom I would trust to dial in settings for a person who was intubated without any special vent requirements. She would 100% kill an intubated asthmatic or DKAer.

As for your asthmatic comment: Agree with low PEEP. Fill the vent with albuterol. Intubate w/ ketamine. 100% FiO2. Avoid auto-PEEP by using low TV, low RR, and drag the E time out as long as possible. Obviously tinker with settings PRN to maintain a good SaO2.

For crashing patients, acidotic patients, avoid intubation at all cost. If I have to tube them, I match their minute ventilation which can be >15L per minute. Don't let the RT walk away and leave them at a rate of 16. While many RTs are great at vents, they don't understand often times the underlying physiology of what's going on with the patient and what they actually need.

COPD/asthma patients obviously closely watch their I/E ratios, avoid breath stacking and autoPEEP.

With certain patients who are struggling on the vent, with alarms going off, you can PSV them and see what their lungs want. Often times they are air hungry and you can adjust their flow rates and make them feel more comfortable.

I pretty much go for a lung protective ventilation strategy on everyone.

There was this green colored Ventilator book I read on my ICU rotations in residency. I still have it somewhere. Really easy to digest, quick to get through, highly recommend

As long as you're oxygenating and your tidal volumes are safe and the peak pressure alarm isn't going off it really probably doesn't matter. All the rest of it is so institution-dependent, ICU-dependent, and physician-dependent. If you want to look as smart as possible, ask the RT which vent mode Dr. xyz uses most frequently and set it to that. For my hospital, that's PRVC.

Things that are consistently important are forcing RT to measure the patient, high RR for metabolic acidosis, establishing vent synchrony, and troubleshooting high pressures (checking pPlat, looking for mechanical issues like displacement/obstruction/ptx, trialing a pressure controlled mode)

I still use the ARDSNET guidelines for PEEP/FIO2. As @Siggy mentioned, the new(ish) thought paradigm for ARDS management is on controlling driving pressures, which is thought to maximize lung compliance. It's an interesting way to conceptualize it as it's calculated as pPlat-PEEP, but it's also equal to the TV/compliance. It's derived from the old school P=V/C equation. So lower driving pressures = higher lung compliance.

So if your pPlat is 22 and your PEEP is 5 your driving pressure is 17. If you increase your PEEP to 8 and your pPlat increases to 23, your driving pressure is 15, which means that you've actually recruited alveoli and increased lung compliance! You can also look at the pressure-volume loop screen to see if there is improvement in compliance with the vent changes that you're making.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing that still amazes me about the RTs that I've come across is their general lack of understanding about compensating metabolic acidosis with a respiratory alkalosis. As long as the pCO2 is 40 or less they never think to increase the RR.

With certain patients who are struggling on the vent, with alarms going off, you can PSV them and see what their lungs want. Often times they are air hungry and you can adjust their flow rates and make them feel more comfortable.

For the patient who wants too much volume at times, pressure regulated volume control (PRVC, also called VC+ depending on the brand of vent) is great for this. It's technically a pressure control mode, but the vent will adjust the pressure used based on whether the patient is meeting or exceeding the target volume you set. So you set it up just like standard volume control. However, if say the patient wants 800ml TV and you feel uncomfortable setting the vent to 800, all that happens is the patient gets minimum pressure support, but can still pull what ever volume he wants. If the volume drops down, the pressure control ramps back up.

Edit: Meant to say PRVC, not APRV.

Last edited:
I don't invest too much time into vent settings because they will get changed in the ICU and are often driven by the ABG. Kind of depends on why you are tubing. And sometimes the RT's who set the vents know some good stuff and I rely on them too.

I feel pretty comfortably twiddling the vent knobs to maximize ventilation (RR or TV) or oxygenation (O2 and PEEP).

I can usually improve the ABG by the time the patient goes to the ICU.

In the states where they have freestanding EDs, there's usually no RT available, and nurses have to operate the ventilator. Which is why every time you have to tube someone there, it turns into a bit of a cluster funk, as the RNs don't nearly have as much experience with setting the ventilator. Half the time I'll tube the patient no problem, but stand there bagging him/her as the RN is staring at the vent like a deer in headlights going 'ah, what does this button do?', 'not familiar with this machine'....

• Wow
Listen to Weingart's "Dominating the Vent" part 1&2 lectures, and that should give you enough material to teach you how to manage most vent situations in the ER.

I think the most important stuff has already been stated. The large majority of our patients that we intubate will be fine with RT setting the vent settings, but your RT will kill your severely acidotic and COPD/asthmatics if you aren't setting the vent yourself and making sure they don't try to fiddle with it. Don't bother getting fancy with the vent, just keep it in AC (assist control).

And just follow ARDSnet protocol for your severely hypoxic patients.

So the settings I tend to use for regular vent patients goes something like this to start

PEEP 5 (if on BiPAP I'll match the EPAP. No sense on intubating someone and dropping their peep from 8 or 10 down to 5).

Rate 14 (if hyperventilating for acid base issues, I'll match. Don't take the tiring out DKA, paralyze them, and sit them at 14 or 16... start them off in the mid 20s)

FiO2 100%

Volume: 6-8 ml/kg ideal body weight. Wait... but math sucks (Seriously, what is the IBW calculation?) Simple short cut...

If the patient is around 5'10, use 500, 5'5 use 450, 5'0 use 400. This approximation breaks down with 5'0 females, so if the pressures are high I'll knock down their volumes to 350. If you don't believe me, throw the numbers into MD Calc and check. 5'5 and 5'10 should both be in the 6-8ml/kg range.

Get ABG, adjust as need be. If FiO2 is staying near 100, then bump the PEEP up. I'll pretty much always bump the PEEP to 10 on patients with an FiO2 of 100.

ARDS: High peep, low FIO2 as possible. I'll actually open up MDCalc for an IBW calculator. One thing you can use titrate volume settings is the driving pressure. This is pPlat - PEEP (think the pressure required to actually inflate the lungs). Less that 15 is ideal, but I target less than 20 if it's high and I need to drop volumes below 6 ml/KG IBW.

Why does it feel like I'm not reading this line correctly? I also worked turbo-late last night, so I could just be braindead.

Members don't see this ad :)
6-8 mL/kg of ideal body weight (you can use MDCalc to figure this out)
Appropriate RR for age

100% FiO2 after intubation, obtain an ABG 30 minutes post intubation and ask the RT to wean down the FiO2. They shouldn't be on 100% an hour after intubation unless they are legit hypoxic post-intubation.

PEEP: typically 5 cm H2O if intubating for non-hypoxic reasons (trauma, agitation, airway protection). 10 cm H2O if severely hypoxic or obese.

Sit the head of the bed up to 30% post-intubation, helps recruit alveoli.

For agitation/ventilator dyssynchrony with hypoxia, keep them well sedated and consider a paralytic infusion.

If their pH and pCO2 on the gas are crap after intubation I ensure the tidal volume and respiratory rate are where they should be. I may tweak one or the other to increase the minute volume.

For the "non hypoxic intubated for airway protection" types I ask the RTs to aggressively wean the vent down to minimal settings if able. FiO2 of 30-40% and PEEP of 5.

For asthma I will let the CO2 ride as high as 80-100 as long as the pO2 is fine on the blood gas and the SPO2 is OK. Low rates and longer I:E times.

If you make big changes, get a repeat ABG 30-45 minutes afterwards to see how that's working.

If you are getting pressure alarms, perform an inspiratory hold maneuver to check the plateau pressure. You want it under 30 cm H2O to prevent barotrauma. If am maxed out on FiO2/PEEP and not doing well at this then I should be chatting with my ICU physician for advice.

If they are becoming hypoxic or not doing well, I escalate according to the ARDSNet protocol. AKA you should be playing with both FiO2 and PEEP, not just one.

Caveat: I am not an intensivist.

Last edited:
I think the point regarding permissive hypercap in COPD/asthmatics is so important. I've had some patients started crashing post intubation on the vent because someone got horrified that their end tidal was 60s-70s and their gas didn't look pretty and they ramped up their rates. Again, many RTs are great but some are straight up assassins.

Also, I'm glad we have RTs but I trust no one. If you ask them to do anything outside of their little routines, I frequently find that they say "OK" then do not to do what I asked. They straight up do not trust that you know what you're talking about.

Ex: I ask them to set high minute volumes for severe metabolic acidosis and I come back and the RR is still set at 12. I explicitly explain why and I come back and they have not done what I asked, and I end up adjusting the ventilator settings myself and we get to have a nice little talk about why they are being they way they are.

Or, I ask them to escalate PEEP and FiO2 side by side and I come back and they've only ramped up the FiO2 to very high settings (80-100%) and haven't touched the PEEP.

VERIFY EVERYTHING. They will kill people because they think they know better than you, but do not understand physiology.

Last edited:
I'll give you my impression. Ventilators are simultaneously simple and complex, but for the ED purposes we don't need to get into the complexity of them. The goal is to appropriately oxygenate/ventilate without causing harm. Don't worry about any of the rest of it. I'll type out some things below which may go beyond what you're asking. But if you want to understand ventilators a bit better, it may help.

Disclaimer: there are many ways to manage a vent. There are several correct ways, and there are wrong ways. Different people may have different ways of doing the same thing, it doesn't mean one is right and the others are wrong. It means there are many safe/correct ways to manage it. Below you'll find the way I learned, and the way I think about vents. It's a method, not the method.

Essentially, a mode of ventilation is broken down into 3 pieces: [Control Variable] + [breath sequence] + [targeting scheme] = mode of ventilation. For the ED you really need to understand only the first 2, and maybe just the first one.
For the next bit keep this equation in mind (you don't have to do math, it will just help your conceptual understanding:

Pressure (vent) + Pressure (muscle effort) = Elastance*Volume + Resistance*Flow

- Control Variable is what you control. On a vent it's only ever 1 of 2 things, either pressure or volume. No matter what fancy mode of ventilation you put someone into, at the foundation, you are only ever controlling one of these variables. From the equation you can see that pressure and volume are on opposite sides. If you are controlling pressure, the actual volume delivered will be varied depending on the patient's pulmonary mechanics (their intrinsic resistance and compliance [compliance = 1/elastance]. If you control volume, the pressures the ventilator requires to deliver those volumes will depend on the patient's pulmonary mechanics. The resistance and elastance will change with different disease processes. This is important for the ED physician to understand. You can either use pressure or volume and often accomplish the same thing.

- Breath sequence. This is an intermediate area for you to understand. We define breaths on a ventilator by inspiration only. Expiration is passive. The start of inspiration we call 'trigger', and the end of inspiration we call 'cycle.' Cycle is not the end of the breath, it is the end of inspiration. Now, for each trigger / cycle event it can be broken down into who or what is causing that.
  • The trigger can be = patient initiated or machine initiated (ie, the patient can trigger a breath if they're active, or if they're passive the ventilator can trigger it)
  • The cycle can be either from the patient or machine
Let's look at this table for all possible combinations:
TriggerCycle
PatientPatient
PatientMachine
MachinePatient
MachineMachine

Anytime you see "machine" we will define that breath as a "mandatory" breath. Therefore, the only spontaneous breath in mechanical ventilation is one that is both patient triggered and patient cycled. I say this because a lot of beginners see the patient trigger a breath and say that's a spontaneous breath. This is not so.

A spontaneous mode of ventilation will be something like pressure support. Which is identical to either CPAP/BiPAP depending on if you set a different inspiratory pressure from PEEP. If your patient is paralyzed and you put them on a spontaneous mode, they will die because they cannot initiate a breath. (Actually the vent will likely go into a backup mode that you set, but you get the idea).

Now, onto the breath sequence. Since a breath can either be spontaneous or mandatory, there are 3 possible combination of the sequence of those breaths. What I mean is, if you look at 5, 10, 100, 1000 breaths in a row - that is a sequence of breaths. The three possibilities are:
  1. Every single breath is spontaneous = continuous spontaneous ventilation (CSV)
  2. Every single breath is mandatory = continuous mandatory ventilation (CMV)
  3. There is a mix of spontaneous and mandatory breaths. (any combination)= intermittent mandatory ventilation (IMV)

- The third box is the targeting scheme. Don't worry about this. It has to do with how the ventilator will adjust things you set as targets based on feedback it gets from a variety of inputs. This is beyond the ED. You can learn it if you want, and if you want I'll go into more detail. But let's leave it off for now.

So now a mode of ventilation may look something like: PC-CSVs
This is pressure control, continuous spontaneous ventilation, with a set-point targeting scheme (again this part is beyond this post).
Basically this is pressure support. You set an inspiratiory/expiratory pressure, some other stuff that we don't need to go into, and the patient is on the vent breathing for themselves. Similar to BiPAP/CPAP

How should you set the ventilator?

Like everything in medicine - it depends.

For undifferentiated respiratory failure you can set either VC / PC. Target a tidal volume of ~6-8cc/kg of ideal body weight. This is easy to do, measure the patient and look at the ARDSnet chart. You can find it on google images in about 1 second by typing in "ideal body weight ardsnet". I have a picture folder on my phone that I keep peep tables, ideal body weight charts, common vent names ➔ mode descriptions.

Set the minute ventilation as you see appropriate based on the reason they were intubated. If bad COPD / Asthma set a slightly higher tidal volume if needed, but a very low RR to allow the longest expiration time to ensure no autoPEEP. Remember, you can adjust flow, i-time, ramp to your hearts content, but the undisputed winner of longer e-time is the lower RR. You can see autoPEEP in the expiratory limb of the flow waveform.

Get an ABG 30 minutes-1 hour after intubation and initial settings. Adjust the RR to normalize the pH (unless they have ARDS then we'll tolerate pH down to 1.15-1.2 (depending on your comfort) and tolerate pCO2 higher than that. Or if they have bad COPD and you see their HCO3 is 38, then trying to normalize the pCO2 will not help as they live higher, just normalize the pH at that point and admit them to the ICU.

Patient dyssynchrony comes in many shapes and forms. It's too much to go into here, but if you think this is helpful I can type out a post on waveforms and a post on dyssynchrony and what you may do about it.

Pressure alarms. Everyone always worries about the peak pressure, and while it can be important, it often doesn't tell you what you think it's telling you. When I get called for peak alarms there are a number of things that go through my head. If it's someone who has been fine the first thing I do is check the plateau pressure (inspiratory pause maneuver). If the peak is elevated and the plateau is normal then it rules out all of the bad stuff (worsening ARDS, tension pneumothorax, usually right mainstem...). The peak pressure is the pressure at the airway opening, and is the sum of the airway and alveolar pressure. We care mostly about alveolar pressure. If you have normal alveolar pressure, you aren't going to cause barotrauma with high peaks. Think about things like: bronchospasm, mucous plugging, small ETT, patient biting the tube...
  • In this case, suction the patient's ETT, look and see if they're biting the tube, listen for wheezing ➔ albuterol/duonebs etc. Just fix what's in front of you, but don't worry about high peak pressures here. It's not the pressure the alveoli are seeing.

If you get high peak and high plateau pressures, this is when you really need to worry. Something has gone wrong. If they were previously normal then think about a new right mainstem, tension pneumothorax, rapidly worsening pulmonary compliance (edema, effusion, consolidation, fibrosis whatever). Some of those things likely won't happen within minutes, so if they're normal and rapidly worsen then you likely mainstem the tube or the patient has a pneumothorax. Otherwise, get a CXR and rule things out.

PEEP can be titrated depending on what's wrong with the patient. But if you have no idea then use the ARDSnet PEEP table, either the high or low is fine. For severe asthma there is a great paper by Caramez on PEEP phenomenon in obstruction. But what you have to know in the ED is that dynamic hyperinflation can kill. Recognize it, fix it. You can recognize it on the ventilator flow waveform and by measuring total peep with an end-expiratory maneuver. If the total peep is >~3 of what you set, you need to start fixing it. If it's higher than that then you should not leave the bedside until you've stabilized the patient because make no mistake, they are unstable at that point. If they are collapsing then disconnect from the vent and let them exhale. If not then turn the RR waaaay down and follow the flow waveform. You may need to increase tidal volume to keep up with your minute ventilation. Follow the gases here and adjust accordingly. This is usually in severe obstructive disease, so start nebulizing albuterol + give systemic steroids etc.

There's so much more we could talk about. But hopefully the above will give you an understanding of the background / basics, as well as some ways to initially set up a vent. Synchrony is a big issue but beyond the scope here, in a nutshell the more awake the patient is and the more control they have (ie spontaneous ventilation) the more synchronous they'll be. If they are awake and in a controlled mode of ventilation you may have to change trigger/cycle variables, flow ramps, inspiratory time etc to make them more comfortable. That's beyond the scope of this though. Your other option for dyssynchrony in the ED is just to sedate the heck out of them.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything. Again, this is a way, not the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'll give you my impression. Ventilators are simultaneously simple and complex, but for the ED purposes we don't need to get into the complexity of them. The goal is to appropriately oxygenate/ventilate without causing harm. Don't worry about any of the rest of it.

Oh I got all excited about reading a pithy response and then you wrote a book. :rofl:

• Haha
Why does it feel like I'm not reading this line correctly? I also worked turbo-late last night, so I could just be braindead.
It seems like when I round I see a lot of vents set to 100% (and not "we just intubated, so we're getting our gas first") with PEEPs set to 5. On one hand, there was a recent study for non-ARDS patients showing no difference between high PEEP vs high FiO2 strategy, but I still like getting my FiO2 down as much as possible. At a minimum, it's easier to tell someone over the phone to "go up on the FiO2" than "go up on the PEEP." To me, there's almost zero reason (I guess pneumos would be a reason) to be at 100% FiO2 and minimum PEEP.

...and the people who use ZEEP likely trained under Hippocrates...

It seems like when I round I see a lot of vents set to 100% (and not "we just intubated, so we're getting our gas first") with PEEPs set to 5. On one hand, there was a recent study for non-ARDS patients showing no difference between high PEEP vs high FiO2 strategy, but I still like getting my FiO2 down as much as possible. At a minimum, it's easier to tell someone over the phone to "go up on the FiO2" than "go up on the PEEP." To me, there's almost zero reason (I guess pneumos would be a reason) to be at 100% FiO2 and minimum PEEP.

...and the people who use ZEEP likely trained under Hippocrates...
Agreed. Even after a few days in the unit I'm always turning down FiO2 because a respiratory therapist who was less experienced turned it up overnight. It's too common to find vents Fio2 at whatever number and the patient satting like 98%. no need.

I was horrified the first time I saw a zero peep + zero inspiratory pressure SBT. monsters.

Above you mentioned VC+ and APRV. I think you meant PRVC / VC+ though. APRV doesn't target tidal volumes.

Agreed. Even after a few days in the unit I'm always turning down FiO2 because a respiratory therapist who was less experienced turned it up overnight. It's too common to find vents Fio2 at whatever number and the patient satting like 98%. no need.

I joke that there are gremlins at night. Everyone (especially the SARS-CoV-2 patients) are suddenly at 100% FiO2, 100% SpO2 and no one knows who changed the vent or why.

I was horrified the first time I saw a zero peep + zero inspiratory pressure SBT. monsters.

Above you mentioned VC+ and APRV. I think you meant PRVC / VC+ though. APRV doesn't target tidal volumes.

Sorry, PRVC... pressure regulated volume control... Thanks!

A lot of good stuff above. (And I'm anxiously awaiting the next posts on dysynchrony and waveform analysis from Tipsy)

Personally, I like good old volume control A/C for the ED. Most patients aren't getting closely observed enough that I feel comfortable w/ PC, and it's usually a fairly dynamic portion of their illness so rapid changes can occur and go unrecognized. PRVC is probably fine for most ED patients, but I dislike it in the really sick patients whom I like to optimize peep and TV as much as possible using driving pressure as mentioned above.

Initial settings, I often find people set the RR too low, given that we're typically using 6-8 cc/kg. 18 usually is my go to (maybe a little higher in TBI pt's, based on ETCO2) and most of the time abg looks pretty good. I find it very useful to measure pressures using end-inspiratory and end-expiatory hold shortly after intubation, while the patient is still paralyzed, so you know where you're headed.

One tip, that I heard mentioned in podcast (?emcrit) off hand several years ago but have never heard otherwise, and has personally saved 2 lives for me, is that the peak pressure alarm is the forgotten vent setting. Every time it goes off, it stops inspiration (eg cycles the vent per the terminalogy above). If the patient has truly massively increased pressures, this will result in the effective lack of any meaningful ventilation (ie, when it goes off with every breath). So, when the circumstances call for it, say a severe asthmatic, don't be afraid to turn the alarm dial all the way to the right (the RT will push back and look at you like you just did a line of coke off the ETT).

WAVEFORM ANALYSIS

Let’s be clear up front, if you want to really understand ventilators, I mean really know what’s happening, then you must be able to look at waveforms and make logical conclusions about what the vent and patient are doing. This takes time, practice, exposure to lots of vented patients and usually someone to teach you (that or you’re really good at learning from reading). So this is probably not the best for vent management in the ED, but since I was on a roll I figured why not post something. What follows barely scratches the surface, that’s my disclaimer. If a good discussion on waveforms = 100, this post is about a 3. That should give you some idea of the quality below.

Generally there are 3 waveforms you will see: Pressure, Flow, Volume. The volume waveform isn’t useless, but it’s close. Unless you’re looking for a leak, or really trying to determine a mode by waveform analysis, you don’t need it. So we’ll focus on the pressure and flow waveforms. Between these, flow is almost always the more important. Remember earlier when I said the control variable = pressure or volume? It’s actually pressure or flow, and the ventilators determine volume by allowing a specific flow per unit time. So in PC or VC, the flow waveforms will change depending on the control variable.

For the following we will assume a paralyzed patient.

VOLUME CONTROL

Ventilators are excellent flow controllers. They’re pretty good pressure controllers, but between the two, they control flow much more precisely. There are 2 patterns of flow that you will see, there are actually 4 but we almost never use the other 2. On a ventilator, you can select the flow pattern in various ways depending on the brand. We call the flow pattern, the “ramp.” So when you hear “descending ramp”, “square waveform” “ascending ramp” etc, what we are talking about is a pattern of flow.

The waveforms are all functions per unit of time (seconds). The flow is flow v time, pressure is pressure v time, volume is volume v time. So when you see a flow waveform that looks like a square, this means that it is constant flow. You have 0 flow, then immediately you have maximum flow for some amount of time, then it shuts off again immediately. Then you exhale. The second one you’ll see more often is the descending ramp. In this case the flow starts at a maximum, and decreases in a linear function to zero flow. Square (constant) and descending are the 2 most common VC flows we use. It’s thought that perhaps descending ramp is more comfortable, and you’ll get less peak pressure from it, but the inspiratory time is longer when you use it.

Remember now that when we control flow, and hence volume, that the pressure will change depending on the patient’s pulmonary mechanics. So our pressure waveform will vary when in VC mode. Generally with patient effort. But recall our patient is paralyzed currently. If we use a constant flow (square waveform), the pressure in the lungs will increase linearly as time passes. If we use a descending ramp, the pressure will rise rapidly, then it will continue to rise but at a slower rate, so you’ll get a more “fin-shaped” pressure waveform. Lets look at this picture.

From: Principles and Practice of Mechanical Ventilation, 3ed (Tobin)
1638334085623.png

Continued below due to some kind of SDN limit

Reactions: 2 users
So in the picture above flow is in red/pink, volume is in blue and pressure is in green. Notice how with constant flow (square), the flow immediately goes to the maximum and is held for a specific time, then it suddenly shuts off. Both the volume and pressure increase in a linear manner. This is logical. Constant flow will cause a constant increase in pressure over time (as long as your in health lung with normal compliance, eventually the pressure would be very high as you kept forcing air in and in. The highest point on the pressure waveform here represents the peak pressure.

Now contrast to the descending flow pattern. The flow starts high and gradually decreases. This gives us a rapid rise in pressure that sort of tails off at the end. This is also logical since with decreased flow there is decreased volume and the pressure in the lungs does not increase as quickly. You see a similar pattern in the volume waveform.

Because the ventilators are so good at controlling flow, any effort a patient makes at this point will be reflected in the PRESSURE waveform. The pictures above are for a paralyzed patient (or someone making absolutely zero effort). Let’s see what patient effort does to the pressure waveform.

I took this from:
https://www.slideshare.net/nguoiduatin01/5-farmer-mechanicalventilationworkshop
1638334314869.png

This is a really nice picture of VC mode with descending flow / ramp. The pressure waveform is below. Notice how the pressure waveform drops (handy red arrows they provided). This is patient effort in a VC mode of ventilation. The flow is well controlled because you’re in VC, so the pressure deforms. Look above to see what the pressure waveform should look like with a descending ramp. This is severe patient effort and I guarantee this patient isn’t happy. They are pulling hard on the vent. In extreme cases, when the pressure waveform falls below the baseline we call it “flow starvation.” This is bad. This person is begging for support and you are denying it to them. To fix this you need to see the patient and estimate what the problem is, often I switch them Into PC and crank up their inspiratory pressure. Often times you’ll get huge volumes at first, but with the extra support they settle down. If you can’t afford that, then you’ll have to sedate the heck out of them, because they won’t tolerate being awake with this level of support.

PRESSURE CONTROL

Ok, so back to: Principles and Practice of Mechanical Ventilation, 3ed (Tobin)
This patient is paralyzed, we’ll look at effort here shortly.
1638334338256.png

So notice the flow is not well controlled here. It decays in an exponential manner. If you’re ever on jeopardy, the equation for that decay is: Flow = (Pplat/R) x e^-t/RC

Note the pressure waveform is constant. That’s because in PC we control the pressure (though in practice you’ll see variation because as I mentioned above, ventilators are not as good pressure controllers as they are flow controllers.

With patient effort you will see a bowing of the flow waveform outward. You may also see a deflection in the pressure waveform since the vents aren’t as good at controlling it.

1638334417119.png

This pic is from google images. You can see the green flow waveform does’t decay exponentially, it bows up and outward. This is due to patient effort. In fact, this patient effort is creating a form of dyssynchrony we call early (or short) cycle. The vent is cycling before the patient want’s to end their breath. You can see this in the expiratory limb, where it notches upward immediately after the inspiration. Don’t mistake this for missed trigger, it’s too early for that. Missed trigger would happen longer into the expiratory limb. Notice also how the pressure waveform is not a perfect square, again even though this is PC, the vents just don’t control pressure as well as flow.

Since pressure is either on or it’s not, we don’t have variable waveforms like in VC. But often the PC waveforms can be difficult to interpret. If you walk up to any vent, you should be able to look at the flow waveform and determine if it’s VC or PC. Sometimes PC can look like descending ramp, but there are subtle differences, like finding small q waves in an ECG.

Remember, if it looks “geometric” it’s flow controlled, and hence VC. If it looks like anything else, it’s PC.

Continued again

Reactions: 2 users
PULMONARY MECHANICS

The following picture is taken from one of the best resources for learning hemodynamics. I’m going to make it big since I’m using the picture without permission, but the site is worth your time. It’s the kind of place that makes you start to understand the things you didn’t know you didn’t know.

https://heart-lung.org - PLEASE GO TO THIS SITE. MUCH BETTER EXPLANATIONS THAN ANYTHING I COULD EVER PROVIDE.

1638334488128.png

What we have here is the pressure waveform taken during a VC mode of ventilation with an end-inspiratory pause. You see the peak of the pressure waveform is the peak pressure (I mentioned that earlier). Then you get that pause and the pressure drops. The pressure at that level is the plateau pressure and gives us insight into the pulmonary compliance. The area shaded in red is the resistive load (from the equation on my previous post). The resistive load is the pressure required to deliver a certain flow to the patient. The blue area is the elastic load. The elastic load is the pressure required to deliver a specific volume to the patient

So, at least in VC (typically square flow pattern), you can get an idea of patients lungs just by analyzing the pressure waveform. Here’s 2 more pictures of my own design to further illustrate the point. I legit made these in MS Paint.

1638334512875.png

1638334524492.png

EXPIRATORY LIMB

You can also get an idea of the lung compliance, as well as resistance by looking at the expiratory limb. Here the time constant becomes an interesting concept. The time constant is the product of the resistance and compliance

TC = RC

With exhalation, you should see return to baseline within 3 time constants. The most common cause of a longer time constant is an increase in resistance. The most common cause of a short time constant is a decrease in compliance. This makes sense logically if you think about it. If resistance is high (say COPD), then it will take longer to exhale, and you will see the exhalation limb stretch out over >3 time constants. You can identify obstructive lung disease by looking at the expiration. Conversely, the short time constant, usually from low compliance (high elastance) you will see rapid exhalation. Often you’ll see this in severe ARDS, ILD etc.

BEHOLD! My next MS Paint masterpiece

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.40.57 PM.png

I’m so tired of typing this and quite frankly it’s sub par and kinda sucks. But the last thing I’ll show is autoPEEP which you all likely know. What you’re looking for is expiratory flow that does not return to baseline. Now, do not confuse a patient initiated breath that is triggered prior to completion of exhalation as equal to autoPEEP. It can be, but doesn’t have to be.

This fine picture is from the fine people at the Maryland CCM project: University of Maryland | CCP Network

It’s another first-rate resource.

1638334636612.png

Remember that decreasing the RR is the king of decreasing auto peep.

Again this is more than you need for the ED, but if you’re managing vents for any period of time you ought to know the basics. This is, make no mistake, very basic. I’ll throw in another plug to heart-lung.org, one of the best sites on the internet.

Please feel free to point out any discrepancy. I got a few whisky into this so there’s bound to be some errors.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@Tipsy McStagger and others, thank you so much for posting! Really great posts with a lot of knowledge dropped on here, hopefully we can keep the discussions going!