Vent session...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwcpharmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this sounds like I am whining and having a bit of a pity party, I just need to work through this with other people in the field. I have been working for an independent compounding pharmacy for about 9 months now. I have to say there has been a giant learning curve for me at this pharmacy. Much more so than I had expected. Yes, I have made errors—in my defense it is about 85% veterinary medicine—so I am learning as I go somewhat. Other times it is just sloppiness, again, in my defense the work flow set up here is horrendous. My boss is incredibly condescending and within the pharmacy has fostered an accusatory environment —not just for me—but for everyone. I have never felt so stupid in my entire career. I am actively searching for something else but my confidence is completely shot. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize in advance if this sounds like I am whining and having a bit of a pity party, I just need to work through this with other people in the field. I have been working for an independent compounding pharmacy for about 9 months now. I have to say there has been a giant learning curve for me at this pharmacy. Much more so than I had expected. Yes, I have made errors—in my defense it is about 85% veterinary medicine—so I am learning as I go somewhat. Other times it is just sloppiness, again, in my defense the work flow set up here is horrendous. My boss is incredibly condescending and within the pharmacy has fostered an accusatory environment —not just for me—but for everyone. I have never felt so stupid in my entire career. I am actively searching for something else but my confidence is completely shot. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Demand a root cause analysis in writing

We do the best that we can, hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you screwed the pooch, likely your patients have 9 lives.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you had any one-on one feedback? Both positive & negative? Plan for improvement/resources to brush up on/familiarize with?
Yes. A few times to go over things at length, but each day that I come in for my shift he hits me with “the stack”. It could be anything from a typing error to nit-picky stuff. I actually like the job itself, but the anxiety it is causing is incredible.

We are all humans and all make mistakes. No matter where you work this is true. I set my goal as the few mistakes with the least amount of gravity. Being very methodical helps me reduce errors. I just worked in a compounding pharmacy (non sterile). I divided the tasks as the initial formulation check (is all the math correct, ingredients weighed correctly, ingredients compatible) and the final check is a cream homogenous, is the beyond use date correct and will the product be used up (no short dates). Helping studying the math and compounding in your off time may help.

That being said it sounds like you have an unhealthy work environment. I would ignore the pettiness and identify the biggest pattern of errors and work on that. I can guess too that there is a lot of drama, gossiping at you work place.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. A few times to go over things at length, but each day that I come in for my shift he hits me with “the stack”. It could be anything from a typing error to nit-picky stuff. I actually like the job itself, but the anxiety it is causing is incredible.
This is the PIC that's doing it to you?

Do they have a "near miss" binder that they're documenting each one in?
If no- why not?

Why are they not dealing with the technician(s) making the mistakes being addressed?

You are the pharmacist.

You are responsible for every product that you sign off on and goes out the door.

This is why we are employed.

To check the formula, the math, the preparation, and the final product.

It doesn't matter if it's for veterinary, or for humans, the math is the math. The correct product selection is based on the prescription. Sure, the drugs are different and the concentration esoteric, but it's really no different than anything else.

Improve the process. You are the overseer. It is your license. Stop making excuses. Fix the problem.

We are all humans and all make mistakes. No matter where you work this is true. I set my goal as the few mistakes with the least amount of gravity. Being very methodical helps me reduce errors. I just worked in a compounding pharmacy (non sterile). I divided the tasks as the initial formulation check (is all the math correct, ingredients weighed correctly, ingredients compatible) and the final check is a cream homogenous, is the beyond use date correct and will the product be used up (no short dates). Helping studying the math and compounding in your off time may help.

That being said it sounds like you have an unhealthy work environment. I would ignore the pettiness and identify the biggest pattern of errors and work on that. I can guess too that there is a lot of drama, gossiping at you work place.

Good luck
Thank you for the supportive words. Very much appreciated! And yes, you are spot on when you guessed about drama and gossip.

Thank you for the supportive words. Very much appreciated! And yes, you are spot on when you guessed about drama and gossip.

It is just weird for your boss to be super mean and still allows drama to exist in the workplace. But then I have never known of any pharmacy setting without some level of childish **** going on everyday. Is your boss the kind that fires people frequently? If not, I'll just suck it up for a few months until I can find another job. Veterinary seems to be a good field though. People just seem to be willing to pay all sort of cash for their pets but not for themselves.

It is just weird for your boss to be super mean and still allows drama to exist in the workplace. But then I have never known of any pharmacy setting without some level of childish **** going on everyday. Is your boss the kind that fires people frequently? If not, I'll just suck it up for a few months until I can find another job. Veterinary seems to be a good field though. People just seem to be willing to pay all sort of cash for their pets but not for themselves.
Our minimum rx fee is $45. People hand it over like it’s nothing! My boss, while a complete jerk, adds to the drama. He has a couple of favorites and they report back to him on the regular about anything and everything that goes topsy turvy. He ENJOYS pointing out mistakes. Whether it’s mine, a technician’s, a doctor’s. I can tell the joy he gets from being able to show someone they are wrong.
True, I am responsible and accountable for my own work and what I sign off on. However, I cannot seem to change his personality and the atmosphere in the workplace.

Our minimum rx fee is $45. People hand it over like it’s nothing! My boss, while a complete jerk, adds to the drama. He has a couple of favorites and they report back to him on the regular about anything and everything that goes topsy turvy. He ENJOYS pointing out mistakes. Whether it’s mine, a technician’s, a doctor’s. I can tell the joy he gets from being able to show someone they are wrong.
True, I am responsible and accountable for my own work and what I sign off on. However, I cannot seem to change his personality and the atmosphere in the workplace.

I see. I feel you. It was that way when I started at my place too. Most incompetent, low self esteemed people are like that. Nurses, techs, MAs, the guy who fixes your sandwich... you name them. They got an instant erection whenever they see a mistake in others and that makes them feel superior. That is basically the highlight of their entire miserable lives.

There is a lot of bullying going on in healthcare. There is no "me too" movements or people changing their facebook profile pics over it but it is real

All of this might explain why the position was open 9 months ago.................

Yes, it doesn't sound like there is anything you can do to change the bad work environment. All you can do is try to ignore the drama as much as possible, try to gain an understanding of your mistakes so they aren't repeated, maybe bring donuts or sweets for everyone (if you can make the bosses favorites happy, then at least they will be less likely to report on you.) Most of all, double check your work, typo's and obvious mistakes most likely will be caught while double checking.

Reactions: 1 users
You know, you should read some of the other experiences, the adjustment is hard. I made plenty of dumb mistakes my first year out, and it took me about three full time years to really be comfortable. It's not just the environment, but it could be a contributing factor.

Having an unhelpful boss though, start looking for a change of scenery.